The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
edward850

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by edward850 »

And there's the critical detail: The original Doom maps aren't in a format that support BEHAVIOR lumps, and thus, no scripts. You need to convert them to one that does.
However, another thing is there are polices around uploading commercial content. There are several places that wont allow you to just upload a bunch of slightly modified Doom IWAD maps (/idgames doesn't allow it at all, I believe the rule here is on a case by case basis).
It would thus seem to me like a better idea to make something original instead. :P
Last edited by edward850 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

However, I'm curious if he could make the changes and save all the changed resources in a pwad that can be played with the original titles and modify them accordingly. I'd kinda like to see that. Lol
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

I recommend using the UDMF map format (Heh... "Universal Doom Map Format map format".,.), since you can apply colours to sectors directly without scripts... (IIRC)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

DoomRoll wrote:However, I'm curious if he could make the changes and save all the changed resources in a pwad that can be played with the original titles and modify them accordingly. I'd kinda like to see that. Lol
That would be the exact thing I said he can't get away with in such places.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

I don't see why not. Youd still have to own the original iwad. I'm not saying he should include the original maps/wads. It would just be a plugin that modifies your existing iwad. That's exactly what we all do whenever we create mods...
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Because a copy of the maps is still a copy of the maps. That is still the part that's copyrighted, even if it's not the entire IWAD. Keep in mind it slides into the "minimum effort quota", in which the theory is in a work you upload, a majority of said work should really be your own. Nothing expressly says this, but it's pretty safe to assume that's why /idgames put the rule in place.

Keep in mind my point here is not that he can't do that (it's not actually against the Doom EULA, as long as it does need the IWAD to run), but rather keep in mind that where he can post such work would be rather... restricted.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

ninja'ed :)
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

edward850 wrote:Because a copy of the maps is still a copy of the maps. That is still the part that's copyrighted, even if it's not the entire IWAD. Keep in mind it slides into the "minimum effort quota", in which the theory is in a work you upload, a majority of said work should really be your own. Nothing expressly says this, but it's pretty safe to assume that's why /idgames put the rule in place.

Keep in mind my point here is not that he can't do that (it's not actually against the Doom EULA, as long as it does need the IWAD to run), but rather keep in mind that where he can post such work would be rather... restricted.
I see. I must not understand... could he not create a patch wad that will simply point to all the necessary places once it's launched with the iwad? Otherwise be useless... Or would the map HAVE to be copied in order to have a place to point to...
edward850

Post by edward850 »

... Huh? I don't even understand what you're on about. The only difference between a PWAD and an IWAD is the WAD header, and a WAD is just an archive of lumps. Otherwise SLADE would be a very complicated program to use.
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

Would it be possible for the player to have a limited inventory? As in only be able to hold a weapon in a certain slot at one time? Like if he were to see a weapon on the ground, he would be required to press E in order to either pick it up or switch it with the weapon that currently takes up that number slot.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DoukDouk wrote:Would it be possible for the player to have a limited inventory? As in only be able to hold a weapon in a certain slot at one time? Like if he were to see a weapon on the ground, he would be required to press E in order to either pick it up or switch it with the weapon that currently takes up that number slot.
It is certainly possible, and has been done in a few mods, but bear in mind that this requires some ACS and Decorate working in concert. The typical method involves replacing the usual weapon pickups with "fake" ones that handle the actual pickup logic (giving the weapon, applicable ammo, and adding a flag that indicates that its slot is full). You can see working examples of such code in my old, somewhat unfinished mod, Magnum Opus, where I've commented some portions of the code to hopefully help you out.
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

wildweasel wrote:
DoukDouk wrote:Would it be possible for the player to have a limited inventory? As in only be able to hold a weapon in a certain slot at one time? Like if he were to see a weapon on the ground, he would be required to press E in order to either pick it up or switch it with the weapon that currently takes up that number slot.
It is certainly possible, and has been done in a few mods, but bear in mind that this requires some ACS and Decorate working in concert. The typical method involves replacing the usual weapon pickups with "fake" ones that handle the actual pickup logic (giving the weapon, applicable ammo, and adding a flag that indicates that its slot is full). You can see working examples of such code in my old, somewhat unfinished mod, Magnum Opus, where I've commented some portions of the code to hopefully help you out.
Thanks, this fits the bill perfectly.
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

edward850 wrote:And there's the critical detail: The original Doom maps aren't in a format that support BEHAVIOR lumps, and thus, no scripts. You need to convert them to one that does.
However, another thing is there are polices around uploading commercial content. There are several places that wont allow you to just upload a bunch of slightly modified Doom IWAD maps (/idgames doesn't allow it at all, I believe the rule here is on a case by case basis).
It would thus seem to me like a better idea to make something original instead. :P
Yeah, I understand all that, I had no intention of releasing something like that for the public since it's prohibited. This is mainly for personal modification and personal use only. I wanted achieve the PSX atmosphere with the original levels mainly because the PSX version takes out so much.

So I guess it's not possible huh without conversion huh? Well, at least I gots fog, moving skyboxes and glowing flats. :)
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

I'm assuming it's possible to apply GL glowing affects to my menu graphics... I'm having a hard time understanding the WIKI on this, tho... can anyone give me a good start on how this works?

Thanks
edward850

Post by edward850 »

You... don't?
There is absolutely no feature that provides "GL effects" to the menu, and the Wiki most assuredly doesn't suggest you could. I'm also a little miffed by what you could mean by "glow effects".

Return to “Editing (Archive)”