The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Cansteam

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by Cansteam »

I have an effect where you walk into a small area with FIREBLU and it blows you to a line where it either
A. teleports you to another area if you dont have 2 parts of a puzzle done
B. lets you through

However, the wind effect wont work.

Code: Select all

script 999 OPEN
{
Sector_SetWind(44,255,270,0);
Sector_SetWind(41,255,90,0);
}
Image The sectors, if that matters at all

All of the left sectors have tag 44, and all of the right sectors have tag 41.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I wonder... can one make wind powerful enough to recreate Halo's "mancannons"?
cortlong50 wrote:thats what ive been doing for the last six years since the mod was conceived...the issue is that GZDOOM is now renaming my classes. which is exactly why i havent been playing with gzdoom2.0 because...its way too taxing...and it broke half of the mods i frequent.

here is the exact error in the log

Script warning, "opinhuman2.zip:thecodes.wad:BLOOD2" line 2452:
Tried to define class 'BlueSawBlood' more than once. Renaming class to 'BlueSawBlood@opinhuman2.zip@thecodes.wad@BLOOD2'
Holy cow, now I'm getting the same error...

I don't think there's going to be an easy way to solve this, other than redoing the code completely. Whatever actors you want to inherit from BlueSawBlood will have to be redefined to inherit from your new BlueSawBlood actor.

Sorry, bro. :(
Cansteam

Post by Cansteam »

New question, why do sloped 3D floors have to be aligned on the X or Z axis, and how do you make them diagonally?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

What determines what things get glowed bright green by the enhanced night vision mode for GZDoom? Monsters and items seem to get it by default but props do not, is there a way to make a non interactive prop glow too?
Cansteam

Post by Cansteam »

Could it have to do with having a spawn state?

edit: wait... everything has a spawn state

please ignore me
Last edited by Cansteam on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I believe there are a bunch of ways that can be achieved... actors have the ISMONSTER/MISSILE flags, or inherit from Inventory...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cansteam wrote:New question, why do sloped 3D floors have to be aligned on the X or Z axis, and how do you make them diagonally?
They don't have to be, but making them not aligned to it is trickier because they are almost treated like an extension of the control sector, so your alignment of them has to be done carefully.

I used to have a couple of examples that showed sloped 3D floors at a variety of angles. I can't find them ATM but if I do I'll post them.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Included are Enjay's examples, which were done the conventional way.

Another example is Greyghost's map. From that you can see that complexity is not far off.

The UDMF way would be using boris's 3D plugin which gives easy control over simple and
multiple floors and sloped 3D floors. Once you master that, complex 3D floors are child's play.
See viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45195
Attachments
nj_slope2.wad
(9.24 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
nj_3d_floor.wad
(30.87 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you kindly, I still hadn't found them.

[edit]
And, for what it's worth, a quick conversion to UDMF.
3DUDMF.zip
I think there might be a third one with more complicated angled 3D slopes if you have it somewhere. I can't find it. :?
[/edit]
Cansteam

Post by Cansteam »

What are the 'argument 1, argument 2, argument 3' arguments in ACS_Execute or line action 80 for? I know argument 1 is if you want something like 'case 1' or 'case 2' but can someone clarify what the other 2 are for?
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Whatever you use them for. These get passed to the script, e.g.

script "something" (int argument1, int argument2, int argument3)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I'm tryint to implement footstep sounds and I found one solution by another user that utilized ACS along with texture and sound dedinitions in LANGUAGES. It allows to define sounds for walking on different surfaces (per-texure support as well as a default step sound). The sounds are the same for all player classes, though.

What I'd like to have is as follows:

Per player class (or even monster type), I define a couple of different sounds: One default one, one for walking on water and one for walking on snow.

Has something like this been done already? I thought I'd ask before trying to work it out myself from scratch.
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

I remember seeing some footstep-related ACS in Hard Doom. You can look there if you want.
jakyle

Post by jakyle »

how do I edit an existing mod say, weapon wheel, without any mapping or a wad. I just want to update the script in this existing mod to make it compatible with the alpha version of project brutality 3.0. I am using Slade_310_b4 and gdcc_v0.12.0-107-g926eafd_win64 as my compiler. now I know this may be to obtuse of a question but this is just a prime example of hte problem im running into. anytime I try to compile a scripting slade using the latest gdcc compiler, it crashes every time.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Hey all, got two questions:
1) Is is possible to have slow motion in ZDoom by traditional means? (i.e. power ups)
2) How can I make the music tracks only play once instead of looping? (like in Blood for example)

Return to “Editing (Archive)”