The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by Xeotroid »

Not really a "How do I do this" question, but... how do identifiers in DECORATE Random functions work? How can two Random functions interfere with / affect each other? Do you have a good example on how and why to use it?
edward850

Post by edward850 »

RNG calls in different places use different tables, such as damage calculations uses the damage specific table. The identifier allows you to have specific isolated tables for certain RNG calls, and thus unaffected by other calls.
Last edited by edward850 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cansteam

Post by Cansteam »

How do you make random noises for Player classes in Soundinfo? I know how to do it for monsters, but I have no idea how for player classes.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Blue Shadow wrote:
Rowsol wrote:edit: okay, so apparently if I change A_CyberAttack to A_CustomMissile it works. Not sure why I have to do that.
That's because A_CyberAttack doesn't handle the firing of seeking missiles, while A_CustomMissile does.
Always so helpful, thanks again.
Cansteam wrote:How do you make random noises for Player classes in Soundinfo? I know how to do it for monsters, but I have no idea how for player classes.
Here's an example:

Code: Select all

$playeralias	Guncaster	male	*usefail	Guncaster/Nope
Note the alias. If it's $playersound you pick the actual sound file name. Alias allows you to use a set of random choices.

Code: Select all

$random Guncaster/Nope	{ Guncaster/Nope1 Guncaster/Nope2 }
Guncaster/Nope1	DRAGNPE1
Guncaster/Nope2	DRAGNPE2
adamaH_oriH

Post by adamaH_oriH »

HOW DO I...

-make the Icon of sin spawn custom monsters, and have these monsters appear on the credits cast.

-give each level a custom text, (I got one for Icon of sin, but I tried to give one to map 7, but the Icon of sin's text appeared instead.)

-give a monster more hit points
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

adamaH_oriH wrote:HOW DO I...

-make the Icon of sin spawn custom monsters, and have these monsters appear on the credits cast.

-give each level a custom text, (I got one for Icon of sin, but I tried to give one to map 7, but the Icon of sin's text appeared instead.)

-give a monster more hit points

1. not sure. thats a damn good question, probably going to have the edit the decorate so it randomly spawns your custom monsters in the monster spawner cube lump.

2. use mapinfo. put the name you want into the maps description. like

"map MAP02 "POWERING THE GATES" -that right there
{
next = MAP03
music = MODERN1
sky1 = SKY2
nointermission
}
"
3. edit their health points in their decorate lump. just add more health to em. it should say health in blue (the archvile for instance has 700) just put a higher value. POW!

NOW. i have a question, is my wad gonna get funked up if i use different map formats in the same wad? like map 2 hexen map 3 udmf?
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

Seems to me, can't udmf do everything Hexen format can, and more? But I guess you could be changing formats mid project...
edward850

Post by edward850 »

cortlong50 wrote:NOW. i have a question, is my wad gonna get funked up if i use different map formats in the same wad? like map 2 hexen map 3 udmf?
Why would it? They are different maps.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

edward850 wrote:
cortlong50 wrote:NOW. i have a question, is my wad gonna get funked up if i use different map formats in the same wad? like map 2 hexen map 3 udmf?
Why would it? They are different maps.

just making sure something doesnt get screwey.

also did i answer that dudes questions pretty well? hahah youre the master informer so i wanna make sure i helped him out.
cocka

Post by cocka »

-make the Icon of sin spawn custom monsters,
[wiki]Classes:BossEye[/wiki]
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

In Brutal Doom v19, Imps and Zombies don't have the "disintegration" death animations that they do in Brutal Doom v18 (when all their flesh gets peeled off from a BFG ball or BFG tracer). But it looks like the code is there... just not implemented, for whatever reason.

How do I make it so that any attack that has the "desintegrate" damagetype (yes, that's how Sarge spells it...) gives them those disintegration death animations from Brutal Doom v18?
Gez

Post by Gez »

adamaH_oriH wrote:HOW DO I...

[wiki]Classes:BossEye[/wiki]
adamaH_oriH wrote:-give each level a custom text, (I got one for Icon of sin, but I tried to give one to map 7, but the Icon of sin's text appeared instead.)
[wiki]Cluster definition[/wiki]
adamaH_oriH wrote:-give a monster more hit points
[wiki]Using inheritance[/wiki]
Alternatively you can use the Health property of things in UDMF maps if you just want a monster to have more hitpoints than usual without using a different class. A positive value is a multiplier (so Health = 2 will double health), a negative value is absolute (so health = -150 will give 150 hit points).
It's perfectly fine, you can have mix Doom format, Hexen format, and UDMF maps in the same wad without any problem. The game loads one map at a time, after all. It won't get confused by the presence of other maps.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Is it possible to make exploding hitscans? I tried giving a puff actor an explosion in its animation state, but that didn't work. Also, I'm worried that it might only work when hitting a wall even if it did work.

Actually, for some reason it worked when I changed the melee state to an explosion as well. I gave it a +bloodlessimpact flag, but its still not spawning puff actors.
Gez

Post by Gez »

ReedtheStrange wrote:Is it possible to make exploding hitscans?
Yes.

There's the [wiki=Classes:BFG10K]BFG10K[/wiki] from Skulltag, and you can find an explosive shotgun in Samsara (or was it Reelism?).
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Forgot about the +PUFFONACTORS flag.

Now, how do I make a hitscan that has a random chance of also going through an enemy, similar to the +RIPPER flag.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”