The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by gwHero »

Hi,

there are several ACS functions to change sector properties at runtime, but I can't find a function for changing the floor brightness of a sector. Does anyone know how to do that? Or is it just impossible?

Thanks in advance.

Edit : changing directly doesn't seem possible, but there is a work around with Transfer_FloorLight https://zdoom.org/wiki/Transfer_FloorLight
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Is there any way to tell GZDoom's movement prediction to use different settings the same way it can adapt to different player speeds?
Niphura

Post by Niphura »

Is there any way of convert doom into a isometric perspective?

Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

No, it's an FPS.

I suppose it's theoretically possible to rewrite the entire rendering engine so that stuff doesn't get smaller when it's further away, but that seems like either an incredible amount of hacky mad genius work* for a novelty effect, or you're just writing a brand new 2D game engine and tacking it on to GZDoom.

*I suppose it would basically be splitting the difference between normal and this, but that's before considering all the idiomatic stuff that's done on the Doom engine that doesn't translate immediately to any modern 3D renderer.

EDIT: Then again, if you just mean "overhead view where up and down mean walking north and south instead of forwards and backwards, etc." then that is definitely something that can be done in ZScript. I do not recommend attempting without some prior familiarity with ZScript modding though.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Anyone knows why my 3D models don't respect the pitch given in modeldef in game? It only seems to work in the editor but when I launch, the model is reset to default pitch.

Image - https://postimg.org/image/6b8ag4f29/

Modeldef:
Spoiler:
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Niphura wrote:Is there any way of convert doom into a isometric perspective?
Convert? No.
Remake? Yes.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I remember a while back using a command or command-line parameter that would let me simulate network latency to test stuff I would otherwise not be able to test without actually creating a netgame with a slow or unreliable connection. Apparently I have forgotten it so thoroughly that I can't even think up any search terms for it. What was that command?
ArmorNox

Post by ArmorNox »

Does anybody know if there is a way of making a weapon that can paralyze enemies temporarily?
Or pulling them towards the player?
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

How can I make an actor not able to be hit (only) by Melee? I mean, but still vulnerable to hitscans, projectiles, quakes, explosions and so on.

Thanks in advanced! :)

______
Niphura wrote:Is there any way of convert doom into a isometric perspective?
With shitloads of ACS, cameras and new mapping, yes. Take a look at the Pogostick mod. It "converts" Doom into a (fake) 2d 'plat' game.
Spoiler:
Matt

Post by Matt »

ArmorNox wrote:Does anybody know if there is a way of making a weapon that can paralyze enemies temporarily?
Or pulling them towards the player?
Do you mean:

1. Painlock them and pull them in (like a chainsaw)

2. Make them drop to the ground (like a taser) and pull them in

or

3. Freeze them in exactly the same frame as whatever frame they were in when they were hit and pull them in?

These are arranged in increasing order of difficulty.
ArmorNox

Post by ArmorNox »

Okay, sorry. Should have explain it better....
I was really asking for two weapons:
1.) A weapon that when fired can paralyze an enemy for a second or so, even more for weaker ones preferably, then the effect wears off. I would prefer freeze them in exactly the same frame as whatever frame they were in, but if I can't do that, it's okay.
2.) A wire like weapon can pull an enemy towards the player, like the wire is snagging the enemy....

I never did think of the Chainsaw.... and I've hit upon the extreme basics of making a taser in DECORATE while i was fooling with it making my other weapons during these past months, but neither is what I'm looking for. And I don't know what to search for to even start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

What could be the reason that the engine does not see my weapon?
Get sprite, code, sound, progectile, define all in decorate.main, even create playerpawn and keyconf. And even try to replace weapon in weapon mod, weapon_of_saturn pack, it do not work.
What i do wrong?
ArmorNox

Post by ArmorNox »

Did you number it?
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Yes. Try number 32766, 516, 32111, do not work.
Matt

Post by Matt »

If it's just the gameplay side of it, then a momentary stun could be done with something like:

Code: Select all

class stunball:doomimpball replaces doomimpball{
    default{
        +hittracer
    }
    states{
    xdeath:
        BAL1 CDE 4;
        TNT1 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 2{ //there are 35 frames here, add/subtract to taste
            if(!tracer||tracer.health<1){ //check if the tracer is still there
                destroy();
                return;
            }
            //add to victim's health so that this does a net total of zero damage
            tracer.A_GiveInventory("Health");

//damage the victim for 1 point
            tracer.damagemobj(self,target,1,"stun",DMG_NO_ARMOR);
        }
        stop;
    }
}

Return to “Editing (Archive)”