The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Mikk-

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by Mikk- »

eppn5 wrote:How do I give the player an item every time it kills an enemy? Using A_GiveInventory in the enemy's death state works, but it only does if he's targeting the player. (Also I'm doing this for every vanilla enemy, so prefer not to do that.)
[wiki]Script types#KILL[/wiki] don't even need to replace the vanilla monsters
eppn5

Post by eppn5 »

Mikk- wrote:
eppn5 wrote:How do I give the player an item every time it kills an enemy? Using A_GiveInventory in the enemy's death state works, but it only does if he's targeting the player. (Also I'm doing this for every vanilla enemy, so prefer not to do that.)
[wiki]Script types#KILL[/wiki] don't even need to replace the vanilla monsters
Dev. version only, so I can't use it because I use QZDoom (and my laptop can't run GZDoom for some reason) and I can't use QZDoom's dev. versions because flatsprites is messed whenever I play MetaDoom.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

It's a development feature of ZDoom only. That feature has been there since before QZDoom came to existence. Meaning, QZDoom has it in all of its official releases and development builds.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Is it possible to make a submenu for an episode selection?

For example:

Code: Select all

Main Menu
--- New Game
------ Choose Episode
--------- Episode 1
------------ Episode 1, subchoice 1
--------------- Choose difficulty
------------ Episode 1, subchoice 2
--------- Episode 2
... and so on?
eppn5

Post by eppn5 »

Blue Shadow wrote:It's a development feature of ZDoom only. That feature has been there since before QZDoom came to existence. Meaning, QZDoom has it in all of its official releases and development builds.
To rephrase it better, I can't use that because I don't use dev. versions of QZDoom because those fuck up on me. I don't use ZDoom because I like truecolour. I don't use GZDoom because those don't work on me.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

eppn5 wrote:To rephrase it better, I can't use that because I don't use dev. versions of QZDoom because those fuck up on me.
I wrote:That feature has been there since before QZDoom came to existence. Meaning, QZDoom has it in all of its official releases and development builds.
So if you're using an official release (stable) of the port, then you can use the feature, still.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

can someone help me making a normal door (that opens when you press use and close its self in a few secs) in UDMF format?
EDIT: nevermind found it out
Last edited by Zen3001 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

How can I remove an enemy nearby an interactive item that, when triggered by such enemy, will become a new enemy? For instance I have this controllable turret which has a checkproximity call on its Active state, so once an enemy activate it through BUMPSPECIAL, it turns into a soldier with a turret but both turret and activator must be removed... I am on phone, sorry for not being so specific but I just need a good example which can reproduce this effect...

Thanks in advance,

OZY
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Zen3001 wrote:can someone help me making a normal door (that opens when you press use and close its self in a few secs) in UDMF format?
You need to enable "When player presses use" activation flag.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

How can I make a SwitchingDecoration give something to the player who has activated it?
Gez

Post by Gez »

[wiki=Actor_properties#Activation]Activation THINGSPEC_Activate|THINGSPEC_ThingTargets[/wiki] and [wiki]A_GiveToTarget[/wiki].
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Gez wrote:[wiki=Actor_properties#Activation]Activation THINGSPEC_Activate|THINGSPEC_ThingTargets[/wiki] and [wiki]A_GiveToTarget[/wiki].
Thanks, GEZ.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

1)
Nevander wrote:How do I make multiple sectors beside each other flicker in unison using Light Fire Flicker?
I ended up doing a very fast Light_Glow between 255 and 200 with a tics value of 2-3. Kinda works but it's still not randomized. Another question on lighting, standard Doom lighting is very dark even when 255 (at its brightest). Is there a way to do additive lighting via sector effects like Light_Glow? I want to emulate Doom 64's style where every glowing light area of a map, even flickering lights, flickers and glows upwards to almost pure white instead of just a brighter color of the same.

2)
Nevander wrote:Is it possible to make a submenu for an episode selection?

For example:

Code: Select all

Main Menu
--- New Game
------ Choose Episode
--------- Episode 1
------------ Episode 1, subchoice 1
------------ Episode 1, subchoice 2
--------- Episode 2
... and so on?
3)
How can I fix it so that a projectile's death sound isn't played over the seesound? Like if you fire the plasma rifle into the wall, you won't hear the seesound anymore (the attack sound) but you will hear the sound of the projectile death only.

Stuff I fixed...
Spoiler:
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Is there a way for projectiles to know the BloodColor of an actor it hits?

I know I can use a flag like HITTRACER to have it be able to check the actor in question for properties... but where do I go from there?
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

What Textures YScale value should I use to avoid the 20% pixel ratio for a single graphic?

Return to “Editing (Archive)”