The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Mav3r1ck

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by Mav3r1ck »

Nevander wrote:I think that stuff is all hard coded via the source code. I know you can replace the sprite graphics but I don't think it supports DECORATE or replacements of any kind.
Hmm, I had figured there was support for that by now.

Sorry for the late reply.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

How do you actually make a body of water you can swim in?
JPL

Post by JPL »

I'd like to check whether a PWAD defines its own SKY textures, either from within ACS or ZScript. Possible?

Context: in WadSmoosh's TEXTURES + MAPINFO data I resolve the conflict between Doom1's SKY1/2/3 and Doom2's SKY1/2/3 by naming the Doom 2 skies RSKY1/2/3 (after the actual patches they reference).
This works fine for any mod that simply replaces eg the RSKY1 patch or defines its own sky in MAPINFO.
But it doesn't work for mods that provide a new TEXTURE1 lump whose SKY1 references an arbitrarily named patch such as NEWSKY.
Yes, this second way seems more busted but tons of older mods do it, and when opened with WadSmoosh their custom skies are ignored for the stock Doom2 sky (WadSmoosh's MAPINFO defines eg MAP01's sky as RSKY1).
So my current idea for how to fix this is to detect and fix it at runtime, on level load (which I know could break any of the affected WADs which ALSO use ACS ChangeSky, but I've yet to see a single example of this that exists in both categories). If I can determine "is this level being loaded from a PWAD? if so does the PWAD define its own SKY1/2/3 texture?" then I could use ACS ChangeSky on level start.
This is the only major level compat issue I've found with the current version of WadSmoosh and I'd really like to fix it!
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

Wiw wrote:How do you actually make a body of water you can swim in?
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Swimming
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Is there an ACS function to freeze a players momentum to make them stay midair temporarily?
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

How i can make a weapon spawn according to the player class? Example i want to make an AK74 spawn if you are playing with a Soviet Player class and a M16 if are playing with an USA Player class
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Spaceman333 wrote:Is there an ACS function to freeze a players momentum to make them stay midair temporarily?
I'd do a combination of [wiki]SetActorVelocity[/wiki] and [wiki]SetGravity[/wiki].
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

How i can make an enemie spawn according to the player class?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Nevander wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:Is there an ACS function to freeze a players momentum to make them stay midair temporarily?
I'd do a combination of [wiki]SetActorVelocity[/wiki] and [wiki]SetGravity[/wiki].
Thank you thats just what I neede... wait, I can tweak the gravity of a level with a script? :shock:

Hoooolyyy shiiieeet. THANK YOU. I'm gonna have fun with that. :D
Niphura

Post by Niphura »

Hi, i want to know how can i put this VHS effect: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=49483&hilit=robocop on gzdoom i´m going to do a retrofuturistic mod and i need it.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Sorry if this was posted already, but I can't seem to find it if it is.

Is there a way to use Decorate to replace the default intermission screen text other than recoding the level lineup entirely? Say I make a Hexen gameplay mod and just want to change the story text without messing with the level order or anything.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

That's actually not DECORATE's job. You'll need to look into map clusters... so it's actually a MAPINFO thing.

When a map cluster finishes, the intermission text will be displayed. If you can find out which messages belong to which clusters (which shouldn't be difficult, considering the cluster messages are labelled to show which clusters they belong to), then you'll know which messages you'll want to replace. ;)
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Am I able to select all the linedefs that use a specific texture in GZDB?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

DoomKrakken wrote:That's actually not DECORATE's job. You'll need to look into map clusters... so it's actually a MAPINFO thing.

When a map cluster finishes, the intermission text will be displayed. If you can find out which messages belong to which clusters (which shouldn't be difficult, considering the cluster messages are labelled to show which clusters they belong to), then you'll know which messages you'll want to replace. ;)
I somehow figured mapinfo and decorate were related.

I'm talking about the intermission text of the original iwads. I can make custom MAPINFO lumps all day, but the iwads don't have any as far as I can see. Can I only replace that stuff with Dehacked? or is there a way to do it with a MAPINFO lump? Would it make a difference if I just assumed episode 1 is cluster 1, make a lump with new text, and "voila"?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Wiw wrote:Am I able to select all the linedefs that use a specific texture in GZDB?
Just go into linedefs mode, then do a find for any texture or flat or linedef texture and then exit the find, all the lines with that texture will stay selected.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”