[Tutorial] Monster Spriting for Amatuers [links cleared]

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

[Tutorial] Monster Spriting for Amatuers [links cleared]

Postby Phobus » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:33 am

EDIT: As I'm no longer supporting this tutorial (I doubt it gets used), I've spoilered it and removed all the broken links.

Spoiler:
Last edited by Phobus on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Re: [Tutorial] Monster Spriting for Amatuers

Postby Skunk » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:38 am

GJ! It has my approval.
Skunk

Postby Remmirath » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Hmm, simple and clear guide on how to sprite with MSPaint...i should follow it...thanks James! :)
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Dreadopp » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:53 pm

*Bookmarks* :)
Dreadopp
I'm in the Zone!

Postby Captain Ventris » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:55 pm

"Maker"? Whuzzat?
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon!

Postby Skunk » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:30 pm

This tutorial can also be ported over to pretty much any program, not just MSpaint. ^^
Skunk

Postby Amuscaria » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:48 pm

There should really be a Tutorial section (forum or website) for graphics and not just mapping tricks (not to mention it's really old and outdated). Wiki is great and all, but seeing something done with examples is much easier to learn from. Needs more Tutorials like this around. Good jeeeorb! :D
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Dreadopp » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Just something I created earlier today using this tutorial (and yes I know, it's just a box). It worked out rather nicely for me. I tried it out in-game, and I think it looks pretty darn good (for my first try, anyway :P).

Small picture:
Big picture: (Sorry about the fuzzy-ness)

Maybe I'll create a projectile tomorrow...
Dreadopp
I'm in the Zone!

Postby Ceeb » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:43 pm

It's funny, I can sit and write piles of DECORATE and ACS, but I have the attention span of a fruit fly when I try to make sprites.
Ceeb
Official Idoit Of ZDoom
Banned User

Postby XutaWoo » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Ceeb wrote:It's funny, I can sit and write piles of DECORATE and ACS, but I have the attention span of a fruit fly when I try to make sprites.

Same here.
XutaWoo
one day when going to see the rabbit, there was a previous visitor ...

Postby esselfortium » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! Now I'm almost thinking I should try designing a monster, but then I remember I have no ideas and I've never been particularly good at drawing things that are alive :P
esselfortium

Postby HotWax » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Ceeb wrote:It's funny, I can sit and write piles of DECORATE and ACS, but I have the attention span of a fruit fly when I try to make sprites.

I'm in the same boat. I think it's because, when I sit down to write code, if I have an idea in my head of what I want to happen, it's a very logical process to make that happen in code, and it's gratifying to see things happen exactly the way you were hoping for.

For example, let's say I want the player to enter a boss arena, and have a dramatic opening. So I want them to freeze in place, have some creepy music start playing, then bring the lights up to reveal some evil boss who immediately cackles at the player and spawns some minions to attack. I can easily break that down to "Ok, first use SetPlayerProperty to freeze the player, then start a script which brings the lights up using progressive calls to Light_ChangeToValue, use SetMusic to change the background music, spawn the boss and use SetActorState to make him laugh (Decorate code should be just as easy to make for this), and spawn in enemies with patrol points. After it's all done, unfreeze the player and off they go."

However, when it comes to spriting, I can't use a logical method of getting the image in my head on to the screen (or even paper, for that matter). I always think "OK, I'll start with this basic shape" and it just turns out ugly and not at all what I envisioned. :(

Oh well, I guess we all have our own strengths. :P
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Ceeb » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:17 pm

HotWax wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I think it's because, when I sit down to write code, if I have an idea in my head of what I want to happen, it's a very logical process to make that happen in code, and it's gratifying to see things happen exactly the way you were hoping for.

For example, let's say I want the player to enter a boss arena, and have a dramatic opening. So I want them to freeze in place, have some creepy music start playing, then bring the lights up to reveal some evil boss who immediately cackles at the player and spawns some minions to attack. I can easily break that down to "Ok, first use SetPlayerProperty to freeze the player, then start a script which brings the lights up using progressive calls to Light_ChangeToValue, use SetMusic to change the background music, spawn the boss and use SetActorState to make him laugh (Decorate code should be just as easy to make for this), and spawn in enemies with patrol points. After it's all done, unfreeze the player and off they go."

However, when it comes to spriting, I can't use a logical method of getting the image in my head on to the screen (or even paper, for that matter). I always think "OK, I'll start with this basic shape" and it just turns out ugly and not at all what I envisioned. :(

Oh well, I guess we all have our own strengths. :P

I just don't want to leave my WAD as 90% ripped resources and be branded a thief. :P
Ceeb
Official Idoit Of ZDoom
Banned User

Postby Tapika » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:22 am

Thanks very much! ^^ I'm using it to sprite for my new DooM mod, Spaceman.
Here's an example of what this great tutorial does:
Tapika

Postby Phobus » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:12 am

Captain Ventris wrote:"Maker"? Whuzzat?

I had considered hiding that. It's mentioned in the background.txt for Virus... basically it's something that you won't see a lot of, and the one thing there that isn't finished yet (time and patience went missing temporarily. I'll get them back later)

@All: Thanks for the feedback :) Glad to know it was of some use. I'll go about putting it on my site during the next week (I'll need a chunk of time to set it all up, and then I'll be good to go). I have been considering doing another tutorial about mapping in a similar fashion (ie. you know the basics, so here's how to actually use them), but I fear my mapping ideas and style won't go well into a tutorial, and there's plenty of other tutorials in that vein available anyway. I'll also be sure to sort out typos and the like for the website version. Sorry for my sloppy typing!

@Dreadopp & Tapika: Nice work so far - keep it up :)
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Next

Return to Editing (Archive)