SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby sirjuddington » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:24 am

So, I figure it's about time to start working on SLADE again. And by 'working on' I don't mean continuing, I mean starting yet another rewrite :P But before I get started I wanted to know what you guys liked about it, what you disliked, and any suggestions/requests you might have for the editor so I can keep them in mind from the very beginning.
User avatar
sirjuddington
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Location: Australia
Discord: sirjuddington#7496
Github ID: sirjuddington

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Nash » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:54 am

3-d editor:

- support 3-d floors
- support slopes
- support dynamic lights
- support DECORATE actors and sprites
- support MD2/MD3 actor replacements if the WAD uses it

2-d editor and misc interface:

- custom configs a la DoomBuilder that saves information like EXE, extra WADs, path to ACC compiler, so that multiple large projects are easier to manage
- MAPINFO editing
User avatar
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes
 
 
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Risen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:55 am

You should add highlight colors to the map for various flags and such. :)

...did you want my patch to see what I included? I never did figure out how to get the script editor to work properly when I compiled a new binary... but if you never used the script editor, I found my line highlighting to be immensely useful.
User avatar
Risen
 
Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Location: N44°30' W073°05'

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Three suggestions:

- option to have right-click automatically go to properties
- quick way to change texture offsets in 3D mode (unless I just missed this function)
- allow use of numeric keypad to move cursor while editing ACS
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby bagheadspidey » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Vaecrius wrote:quick way to change texture offsets in 3D mode (unless I just missed this function)

There is, but I can't remember what it is right now :oops: something on or around the number pad, I think.
User avatar
bagheadspidey
 
Joined: 20 Oct 2007

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm

Oh, I see now... it needs numlock.

Uh, /r/ no need for numlock then please? >_>
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby HotWax » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Nash wrote:- custom configs a la DoomBuilder that saves information like EXE, extra WADs, path to ACC compiler, so that multiple large projects are easier to manage

And, unlike DB, saving the most recently-used config and setting it as the default. :yup:
User avatar
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby skadoomer » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 pm

a stats feature, listing all monsters, textures and flats used in the map.
skadoomer
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2003

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Woolie Wool » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:01 pm

SlayeR wrote:So, I figure it's about time to start working on SLADE again. And by 'working on' I don't mean continuing, I mean starting yet another rewrite :P But before I get started I wanted to know what you guys liked about it, what you disliked, and any suggestions/requests you might have for the editor so I can keep them in mind from the very beginning.

I personally find the current drawing method very unintuitive. Could you change it to be double click to start a line and single click to lay down vertices along a line, like Doom Builder? That system just felt right to me.
User avatar
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"
 
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby sirjuddington » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:05 pm

Nash wrote:3-d editor:

- support 3-d floors
- support slopes
- support dynamic lights
- support DECORATE actors and sprites
- support MD2/MD3 actor replacements if the WAD uses it

2-d editor and misc interface:

- custom configs a la DoomBuilder that saves information like EXE, extra WADs, path to ACC compiler, so that multiple large projects are easier to manage
- MAPINFO editing

3d floors & slopes were planned for 2.0 so they are for 3 also. Dynamic lights aren't a real high priority especially since all ports that have them display them differently. DECORATE support is in 2.0 so it will be in 3 also. MD2/MD3 support is very unlikely unless someone else adds it. The other two ideas are interesting so I'll keep them in mind.
Risen wrote:You should add highlight colors to the map for various flags and such. :)

...did you want my patch to see what I included? I never did figure out how to get the script editor to work properly when I compiled a new binary... but if you never used the script editor, I found my line highlighting to be immensely useful.

Yeah I'll probably do this.

Vaecrius wrote:Three suggestions:

- option to have right-click automatically go to properties
- quick way to change texture offsets in 3D mode (unless I just missed this function)
- allow use of numeric keypad to move cursor while editing ACS

1) Already possible in 2.0, just change the key binding from enter to right click.
2) Answered already :P
3) Sounds like a wxscintilla thing to me but I'll see what I can do.

Vaecrius wrote:Uh, /r/ no need for numlock then please? >_>

There's an input configuration dialog for a reason :P

skadoomer wrote:a stats feature, listing all monsters, textures and flats used in the map.

That's already kinda in, just not well documented (console commands)

Woolie Wool wrote:I personally find the current drawing method very unintuitive. Could you change it to be double click to start a line and single click to lay down vertices along a line, like Doom Builder? That system just felt right to me.

That's something that won't happen as I'm very happy with how line drawing works in SLADE.
User avatar
sirjuddington
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Location: Australia
Discord: sirjuddington#7496
Github ID: sirjuddington

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby wildweasel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:45 pm

Not sure if you caught this bug, but in 3D mode, looking all the way up will invert you the other direction - but if you're in a certain sweet spot, it'll rapidly flip you around so fast that the program crashes. Perhaps enable Gimble lock (limit the look pitch to 89 degrees up or down)?
User avatar
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:50 pm

...it's completely customizable!? :shock: Hot damn dude.

That said... most apps use "mouse3" to mean the middle button and "mouse2" to mean the right. Is there any reason for the different setup in SLADE? (or is it only like this on my computer?)

And it would be nice to have a search function in the preferences that shows you what's been assigned to a given input.
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Penguinator » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:16 am

Make it work. :P Using Windows Vista Home Premium, locks up everytime I try to interact with the program. Occasionally if I wait for like 30 seconds then I can work with it again for a minute or so before it randomly locks up again. Apparently the lock up seems to be rather exclusive to me, and Windows doesn't want to crap out any details reguarding the crashes.
User avatar
Penguinator
Resurrect
 
Joined: 22 May 2006
Location: Hell

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby sirjuddington » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:17 am

wildweasel wrote:Not sure if you caught this bug, but in 3D mode, looking all the way up will invert you the other direction - but if you're in a certain sweet spot, it'll rapidly flip you around so fast that the program crashes. Perhaps enable Gimble lock (limit the look pitch to 89 degrees up or down)?

Yeah that'll be changed, I'm gonna rewrite the camera system completely.

Vaecrius wrote:That said... most apps use "mouse3" to mean the middle button and "mouse2" to mean the right. Is there any reason for the different setup in SLADE? (or is it only like this on my computer?)

And it would be nice to have a search function in the preferences that shows you what's been assigned to a given input.

I just use what wxwidgets calls them. It makes sense really, if you count the buttons from left to right :P

Penguinator wrote:Make it work. :P Using Windows Vista Home Premium, locks up everytime I try to interact with the program. Occasionally if I wait for like 30 seconds then I can work with it again for a minute or so before it randomly locks up again. Apparently the lock up seems to be rather exclusive to me, and Windows doesn't want to crap out any details reguarding the crashes.

Works fine in vista for me, in fact I developed 2.0 using vista, so I'm guessing it's a hardware or system configuration problem on your end... not a whole lot I can do (though a rewrite will likely fix it anyway :P)
User avatar
sirjuddington
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Location: Australia
Discord: sirjuddington#7496
Github ID: sirjuddington

Re: SLADE Suggestions/Feedback

Postby Nash » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:55 pm

Inspired by this thread, how about interactive decal placement in the 3-d editor?

I personally feel that the only reason I don't use this long-time ZDoom feature is because it isn't as intuitive as in BUILD's 3-d editor where you can fiddle around with the decals in real-time.
User avatar
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes
 
 
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Next

Return to Editing (Archive)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: peewee_RotA and 3 guests