[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Springy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Gez wrote:So far, none of the edits look better or even half as good as the scan rip with all its glorious JPEG flaws; that's saying something.

Not really my area of work so 98% of the time when I edit something it'll end up being worse than the original.
Springy
Yes indeed ladies and gentlemen.

Postby Minigunner » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Are you editing your edits, or are you editing the source picture directly? If you're doing the former (which definitely seems like it), then there's the problem.
Minigunner

Discord: Minigunner#5418

Postby Springy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Minigunner wrote:Are you editing your edits, or are you editing the source picture directly? If you're doing the former, then there's the problem.

Editing the edits (the later one's are anyway), the first two were just editing the picture.
EDIT:
Doom64_UnreleasedGun Alt Colour2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Springy on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Springy

Postby scalliano » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm thinking a resprite would be in order. It's not even the jpeggyness that's the problem, so much that it's a poor quality scan, and you've no real way of telling what size it should be. All of D64's weapons have very smooth shading to them, but the graininess of the photo makes a simple touch-up basically impossible.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Springy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

scalliano wrote:I'm thinking a resprite would be in order. It's not even the jpeggyness that's the problem, so much that it's a poor quality scan, and you've no real way of telling what size it should be. All of D64's weapons have very smooth shading to them, but the graininess of the photo makes a simple touch-up basically impossible.

That's all I was trying to do, a simple touch up. I thought it was just my editing skills causing the problem (well it's contributing a little). Maybe someone can make a new one?
EDIT: That last one is my final attempt I give up on it, think that's the best I can do.
Springy

Postby scalliano » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Nothing wrong with your editing, you just can't polish a turd :P

Actually I stand corrected. Having looked at Kaiser's original scans I can see that it was a shitty screenshot on the part of the mag. Pretty common back then.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Marine Infierno » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm

scalliano wrote:Nothing wrong with your editing, you just can't polish a turd :P

Actually I stand corrected. Having looked at Kaiser's original scans I can see that it was a shitty screenshot on the part of the mag. Pretty common back then.

exact
it shows in the same image that is of poor quality
Marine Infierno
also known : Miltonator , jose unknown , jose milton

Location: Colombia , Bogota , my aunt's house xD (my geek house)

Postby UnTrustable » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:51 pm

If anyone is interested in how i am planning to do this edit. Im going to do this pixel by pixel, if
possible, colorfield by colorfield.
UnTrustable
"Feed me...!"

Postby Marine Infierno » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

UnTrustable wrote:If anyone is interested in how i am planning to do this edit. Im going to do this pixel by pixel, if
possible, colorfield by colorfield.

how long would take
Marine Infierno
also known : Miltonator , jose unknown , jose milton

Location: Colombia , Bogota , my aunt's house xD (my geek house)

Postby gerolf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Great find Kinsie.
BlueFireZ88 wrote:That was very interesting to read. Kind of makes me miss game mags from days long passed. Does anyone know if that pyramid level went into the final game? It's been a long time since I've played Doom 64, and I honestly don't remember.

No, from what I understand the pyramid levels shown were leftovers from when the game was known as "The Absolution"

Something tells me that "The Absolution" was very much like Doom 64. They just edited things to add Doom creatures. I mean, look at the Pain Elemental, that looks nothing at all like the original. I think it would've had something to do with a Marine going to Egypt. Anyways, I like the unused weapon, maybe it was meant to be like Quake's lightning gun. Doom 64 has always reminded me of Quake.

ALSO: Look at the old screenshots closely, the Demon looks slightly different, and the pistol does too (the latter may just be from my POV).
gerolf

Discord: gerolf#4360
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby HellCattX » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:25 pm

i found some info on doom64 sprites, mayhaps it will be usefull in this endevor.
Spoiler:

found here ----> http://download.polytechnic.edu.na/pub4 ... hbible.pdf
HellCattX

Postby BloodyAcid » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Annnnnnd this is why I don't do weapons from scratch. Look at this abomination :P I'll stick to items and powerups, thank you very much. I completely messed up the shiny sections on the right tube and I just removed some fugly parts in general :) Doesn't palette well in Doom probably.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BloodyAcid
sucky sucky go lucky

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

The one at left is in original size of the scan, the one to the right is resized to match a similar size of other weapons. (trying to put the left one in-game without using hd rescale will make the weapon take the whole vertical area of the screen)
Last edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Postby Zombieguy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm

How did you re-size that? Do you mind telling me?
Zombieguy

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Bilinear Resize in Fireworks 8, and then I had to manually delete translucent pixels left around the sprite borders by the resize process.

For the sprite edit, I decreased the brightness and saturation with filters, added a light blur filter, and manually smudged some parts. Heh, just a 2 minutes job. Resizing was the hardest part.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

PreviousNext

Return to General