[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Xim

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Xim »

That's really cool actually.

So I was playing some Hard-Doom on Skulltag with a few people. The mod makes use of the weapon-skin feature, and obviously me being known for making a lot of the weapon sprites the discussion of my sprites came up, such as the fact that my minigun sprite sucks. I also noticed that all of the weapon sprites lack crouching frame.

Anyways, so I'm going to make crouching frames for all of the classic doom weapons, the skulltag weapons and the sonic railgun (as it is featured in Hard Doom). I'm also going to remake the minigun and make an over-the-shoulder rocket launcher (that looks like the Doom-ish one I made). This is of course a lot of work, but I thought I'd announce this, because I want to get it done, and if I announce it then it'll push me towards doing it. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish enough work and not get distracted with less important matters such as work and social issues.

Anyways, here's what I have so far with the re-make of the minigunner.

Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Xim wrote:Anyways, here's what I have so far with the re-make of the minigunner.

They look like the marine is aiming to his side or behind him, which makes the minigun look really heavy or something. :P
Xim

Post by Xim »

Dancso wrote:
Xim wrote:Anyways, here's what I have so far with the re-make of the minigunner.

They look like the marine is aiming to his side or behind him, which makes the minigun look really heavy or something. :P
That's the idea. The minigun is a heavy-ass gun.

Anyways, I finished the sprite, and put it in a skin file to be used for Skulltag. I put it up on the skulltag forum.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

The first and second frames of the lower row are exactly the same... Makes for a funny-looking walk cycle. I hope this has been fixed?
Xim

Post by Xim »

Eh, I just posted that wrong on the preview picture, the actual sprite set has the right frames.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Xim wrote:So I was playing some Hard-Doom on Skulltag with a few people. The mod makes use of the weapon-skin feature, and obviously me being known for making a lot of the weapon sprites the discussion of my sprites came up, such as the fact that my minigun sprite sucks. I also noticed that all of the weapon sprites lack crouching frame.

Anyways, so I'm going to make crouching frames for all of the classic doom weapons, the skulltag weapons and the sonic railgun (as it is featured in Hard Doom).
I was going to make a Hard-Doom add-on, with that FreeDoom texture pack Aerial compiled (with brightmaps), some small tweaks, and SFX enhancements for the standard decorations, as well as another add-on for Scythe2 (to replace the Dehacked monsters it uses, but I was going to have to wait until Eriance finished the Heirophant and puts it up on the Beastiary, before doing that one). I'll definately add the updated skins to the add-on.

Also, I think I'll keep the old Minigun Marine in the Marine Skinpack as like a super chaingun, since it still was a damn good skin.

Edit: Yep, definately can't wait 'til you finish those edits, so I can release the next Marine Skinpack version. :D
less important matters such as work and social issues.
You need to work on your priorities. :P
Xim

Post by Xim »

Hey! Who told you to make a marine with the freeze rifle? Heh, it's cool, but you should send me the sprite-set though. :wink:

And FYI, I made a new rocket launcher dude, which is in the helper marine wad now.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Helping Xim with a few of the crouching versions of some skins. I can copy/paste, at least. :P

Xim

Post by Xim »

Awesome! Looks great. Thanks a bunch Ghastly. So far I've only gotten the pistol and shotgun guys done, myself though.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

You're welcome. After I finish the plasma, I think I'll do the railgun (The skin I always use :P) and sonic railgun.

You might need to edit the light from the muzzle flash on the rest of the sprite, but I may have faked it well enough.

Edit:
:D
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

nice crouching plasma rifle and rail gun sprites Ghastly_dragon, so far they look good. I'll work on the fist and the sawed off shotgun marines.

BTW I'm working on a new standing marine

@Xim: can i get the crouching marine sprites from you if you have any?
Xim

Post by Xim »

JoeyTD wrote:nice crouching plasma rifle and rail gun sprites Ghastly_dragon, so far they look good. I'll work on the fist and the sawed off shotgun marines.

This might help if you're going to do some. Anyone is welcome to join in, just let us know which ones you are working on.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Probably last one I'll do for at least a few days. I have a lot of work to do. Next I want to do is the repeater, and maybe the flamethrower.

Edit:
Flamethrower's next, but that's definately after my homework. XD

Edit2:
For completeness's sake. Finished the Sonic Railgun yesterday, too, but didn't post it.
The_Funktasm

Post by The_Funktasm »

Using the hand base I posted in the resource section, I whipped up a CS style sprite. It makes me picture Twilight Warrior, except not a crappy 3drip. Go easy on me though, I don't have the resources I used to.
ctsas_colt.png
Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

JoeyTD wrote:nice crouching plasma rifle and rail gun sprites Ghastly_dragon, so far they look good. I'll work on the fist and the sawed off shotgun marines.

BTW I'm working on a new standing marine

This sprite is begging for a salute animation. :D

The crouching sprites are very cool too.

Return to “General”