The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
MetallicaSepultura

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by MetallicaSepultura »

ramon.dexter wrote: The numbering is the problem. Sprite frames are animated by letters (A >Z) while numbers are used for rotations. Check the wiki.
i've tried to replace the custom enemy with a simple zombieman to see if it was a sprite numbering problem, but they still appear in the weapon spawns.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I have an actor and wish it to change sprite on low health. All I know how to do at the moment is go from spawn state to death state for sprite change but I would like something in the middle.
Its no a weapon or monster just a shootable decoration. I understand that I need to check for health and could use get actor property with acs. How would I go about this in decorate?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

SomeOtherDoomGuy wrote:I have an actor and wish it to change sprite on low health. All I know how to do at the moment is go from spawn state to death state for sprite change but I would like something in the middle.
Its no a weapon or monster just a shootable decoration. I understand that I need to check for health and could use get actor property with acs. How would I go about this in decorate?
Similar to Spawn and Death state, you also have the Wound state if you haven't tried it already.
You'll need to create a seperate frame (say.... WOUNA0, for instance), then set this up in the actor's decorate:

Code: Select all

States
  {
  Wound:
   WOUN A 10
   LOOP
  }
Obviously copy over any special actions held in the actor's spawn state - i.e. A_look, activates or whatever....
Then set up WoundHealth, which is similar to Health but determines when the actor will fall into the wound loop instead.

Let me know if this works. :)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

doomguy214 wrote:It seems not give me unlimited night vision:-
"https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lyulu4y25pai ... 1Ma3a?dl=0"
Spoiler:
Clay

Post by Clay »

Similar to Spawn and Death state, you also have the Wound state if you haven't tried it already.
You'll need to create a seperate frame (say.... WOUNA0, for instance), then set this up in the actor's decorate:

Obviously copy over any special actions held in the actor's spawn state - i.e. A_look, activates or whatever....
Then set up WoundHealth, which is similar to Health but determines when the actor will fall into the wound loop instead.

Let me know if this works. :)
Would this prevent the actor from returning to the spawn state? I just want to be sure that it is permanent unless taken to death state.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Wound
This state is entered when the actor's health is lower than its WoundHealth but greater than 0. Multiple Wound states can be used depending on what type of damage is inflicted upon the actor. See custom damage types.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I don't know why I didnt go just read the wiki. I am in the middle of working and asked when I came up with the idea. Thanks Apeirogon
Clay

Post by Clay »

OK. Well the dumb part of my brain is getting the best of me again.
I can get it to do all of the things that I want it to with one exception.

After shooting and going into the wound state, it plays through a sprite loop and stops on the last frame(which is what I want). However, when I shoot it again it plays the sprite again until I deplete the health and the actor enters death state. I know why it is doing it and where my decorate is going wrong but I DO NOT know how to fix it.

CODE HERE:

{
	Scale 1
	Health 1000
	Height 150
	Radius 57
	Woundhealth 500
	mass 10000
	+SHOOTABLE
	+NOBLOOD

States
		{
			spawn:
			IMPS A 1
			Loop

Wound:
			ISTW ABCDE 1
			goto Wounded

Wounded:
			ISTW E 1
			loop

Death:
			ISTD ABCDEFG 1
			Goto Final

Final:
			ISTD G 1
			Loop

}
}		
[/s]
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Could the Wound state be used the change the sprite for one tice every time the actor is hit by something? Alternatively, is there some other way to change the actor's sprite for one tic when hit? I want to create a white flashing hit effect like those old 2d games but I don't want to rely on the Pain state.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cherno wrote:Could the Wound state be used the change the sprite for one tice every time the actor is hit by something? Alternatively, is there some other way to change the actor's sprite for one tic when hit? I want to create a white flashing hit effect like those old 2d games but I don't want to rely on the Pain state.
With the help of DoomRater(he really did everything) I was able to make it work with the following code. I don't think it will help you with your problem but thought I should still post it here in case anyone could use it.

ACTOR CheckHurt : Inventory
{
    Inventory.MaxAmount 1
}

ACTOR "ActorNameHere" 
{
    Scale 1
    Health 1000
    Height 150
    Radius 57
    Woundhealth 500
    mass 100000
    +SHOOTABLE
    +NOBLOOD

States
        {
            Spawn:
            TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("CheckHurt") //defaults to "take all"
            IMPS A 1
            Loop

Wound:
            ISTW E 2 A_JumpIfInventory("CheckHurt",1,"Wounded")
            ISTW ABCCDE 2
            goto Wounded

Wounded:
            TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("CheckHurt")
            ISTW E 1
            loop

Death:
            ISTD ABCDEFG 2
            Goto Final

Final:
            ISTD G 1
            Loop

}
}
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Ok, thanks. I guess it's something that can't be done in Doom.

Another question: Sweeping melee attack. Like, all enemies in front of the attacker are hit, not the one directly forward. How? The only way I can think of making it work is to spawn invisible projectiles in front of the player at different angles (like, a 45 degree arc), outside of the attacker's hitbox. They would either destroy themselves after one tic or collide with any enemies in front.Not ideal because it wouldn't work with Lindefs triggered by player attacks, for example, since the attack does not actually come from the player.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Cherno wrote:since the attack does not actually come from the player.
This is you decided by yourself or someone told you this?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

If you use firecustommissile they should work for linedefs. Spawn item isn't really intended for such things. And that is the way i've done it before.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

Guess no one cares.
Last edited by Doominer441 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Arbalet bolts. How extract it from dead pinky, which killed by bolt thrower?
Use specific damagetype and pain state, which increase monster "user_arbalet_mark", and then add to death state
Spoiler:
?
I dont search easy way. Is there more elegant way to do this?

Return to “Editing (Archive)”