ZScript Documentation

Discuss all aspects of editing for ZDoom.
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Re: ZScript Documentation

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:15 am

Of course you cannot use Actor.GetCVar from an Event handler without specifying the actor in which context to use it.

So 'players[0].mo.GetCVar(...)' would be the proper way to read a CVar from player 1's context.

And for static CVARs you do not need any function at all, you can just use their name as a global read-only variable.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby Kinsie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Of course you cannot use Actor.GetCVar from an Event handler without specifying the actor in which context to use it.

So 'players[0].mo.GetCVar(...)' would be the proper way to read a CVar from player 1's context.

And for static CVARs you do not need any function at all, you can just use their name as a global read-only variable.
Thanks for this, cleans things up a little bit.
Kinsie
No Less Vile...

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I made this page in the effort to help programmers who are transitioning into using ZScript become a bit more familiar with its syntax, but it probably needs more work done.
Major Cooke
Slow yet powerful ZScript modder.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Postby Nash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Curious... if multi-return is a LUA feature, how did ZDoom do multi-returns in C++ before?
Nash
Nash Muhandes [Audio Engineer | Game Designer | Scripting]

Postby Gutawer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:00 am

Assuming you're talking about in the C++ source, it just wouldn't have, as C++ doesn't have that feature. Can be replicated easily with something like an std::tuple, though.
Gutawer

Discord: Gutawer#3431

Postby Gez » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 am

Please keep wiki style in mind when creating pages. Capitalize only things that actually need to be capitalized.

Tutorial On How To Make A Door -- wrong! don't do that! stop doing that!
Universal Doom Map Format -- caps okay because it's the proper name of a standard
A_FireMissile -- caps okay because function names use CamelCase
Gez

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Sorry. Bad habit. I was raised in a setting where if it has a title, It Must Have a Capital Except for Certain Words. As in, they put a drill to the back of my head. Almost.

...private schools I swear...
Major Cooke
Slow yet powerful ZScript modder.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Postby UsernameAK » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 pm

I think there's need for JavaDoc-like documentation generator for ZScript.
UsernameAK

Previous

Return to Editing