The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Blue Shadow

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by Blue Shadow »

ImpieTwo wrote:I'm talking about the intermission text of the original iwads. I can make custom MAPINFO lumps all day, but the iwads don't have any as far as I can see. Can I only replace that stuff with Dehacked? or is there a way to do it with a MAPINFO lump? Would it make a difference if I just assumed episode 1 is cluster 1, make a lump with new text, and "voila"?
For Doom and Heretic, the easiest way is to use a [wiki]LANGUAGE[/wiki] lump. If you see here, you can find these texts. Here is a working example which replaces episode 1's text:

Code: Select all

[enu default]

E1TEXT = // Knee-Deep in the Dead
	"You've killed all the demons. Now go home!\n"
	"\n"
	"The End!\n";
Hexen uses "special" lumps. These are: CLUS1MSG, CLUS2MSG, CLUS3MSG and CLUS4MSG. You can find them in hexen.wad. The idea, as you can imagine, is that you replace them with your own.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

ImpieTwo wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote:That's actually not DECORATE's job. You'll need to look into map clusters... so it's actually a MAPINFO thing.

When a map cluster finishes, the intermission text will be displayed. If you can find out which messages belong to which clusters (which shouldn't be difficult, considering the cluster messages are labelled to show which clusters they belong to), then you'll know which messages you'll want to replace. ;)
I somehow figured mapinfo and decorate were related.

I'm talking about the intermission text of the original iwads. I can make custom MAPINFO lumps all day, but the iwads don't have any as far as I can see. Can I only replace that stuff with Dehacked? or is there a way to do it with a MAPINFO lump? Would it make a difference if I just assumed episode 1 is cluster 1, make a lump with new text, and "voila"?
You'd use a MAPINFO lump. The original IWADs don't contain them. But gzdoom.pk3 does. You can look there. :)
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Nevander wrote:
Wiw wrote:Am I able to select all the linedefs that use a specific texture in GZDB?
Just go into linedefs mode, then do a find for any texture or flat or linedef texture and then exit the find, all the lines with that texture will stay selected.
Ah, I've found the find and replace tool - a real timesaver!
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

Is it possible to add knockback to A_CustomPunch?
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Is there a way to make flatsprites/wallsprites have a different sprite on the front and back? Something like the 1 and 5 rotations.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Rip and Tear wrote:Is it possible to add knockback to A_CustomPunch?
Not directly. Try adding a ProjectileKickback property to the puff that you wish to spawn.
zrrion the insect wrote:Is there a way to make flatsprites/wallsprites have a different sprite on the front and back? Something like the 1 and 5 rotations.
What if you had two actors, which would be rendered at different angles? One would be rendered at an angle of 0-179 degrees, and the other one rendered at 180-359 degrees...
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

DoomKrakken wrote:
Rip and Tear wrote:Is it possible to add knockback to A_CustomPunch?
Not directly. Try adding a ProjectileKickback property to the puff that you wish to spawn.
Nope, that doesn't work.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Let me see your code... sometimes small enough numbers aren't going to have much of a kickback.

If all else fails, you can have the puff give the monster a CustomInventory item that changes their velocity.
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

DoomKrakken wrote:Let me see your code... sometimes small enough numbers aren't going to have much of a kickback.

If all else fails, you can have the puff give the monster a CustomInventory item that changes their velocity.
I don't think 999 is too small...

Not sure what exactly to show you, it's all pretty self explanatory. A_CustomPunch with pufftype set to an actor with ProjectileKickBack 999.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I've played plenty of Guncaster. The standard ProjectileKickback for the Kick Projectiles is 1000, and it doesn't send them flying.

Try some insane number... like, say, 10,000. If nothing happens, then we'll need to figure out something else...

Another thing you could do is set a Weapon.Kickback property for the weapon itself. I've seen it done in Trailblazer and Guncaster. Those appear to work. :)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Is there any way to make player morphs either ignore or revert changes to armor?
ChocolateMilk

Post by ChocolateMilk »

Hello. Is there any way to Time Freeze without freezing music and sounds?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

@Ryuhi It looks like you'll need to use some ACS. Interested?
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

ChocolateMilk wrote:Hello. Is there any way to Time Freeze without freezing music
Easiest: play music as a sound based on player actor. That way it doesn't freeze because the player doesn't freeze. Note: don't put modules/midis, this won't work on openal.
ChocolateMilk

Post by ChocolateMilk »

ZZYZX wrote: Easiest: play music as a sound based on player actor. That way it doesn't freeze because the player doesn't freeze.
Thank you. Just curious... Is there a hard way doing this?

Return to “Editing (Archive)”