Longstanding 'vulkan out of memory' crash

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Longstanding 'vulkan out of memory' crash

Postby Devalaous » Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 am

For the last few months, ive been using GZDoom's vulkan renderer without any issues, except for when I started using Nevander's fullscreen statusbar mod. (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63863&start=285)

My problem was that the mod worked flawlessly, EXCEPT for if I turned the hud completely off for screenshot use; in this state, opening the automap would crash GZDoom, almost without fail, saying somethng about Vulkan being out of memory. I attached a crash report that I saved.

My card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER, and shortly after I signed up to these forums to report this nd a few other issues elsewhere, the issue suddenly stopped after a new Nvidia game-ready driver showed up. I've since come to realise that Vulkan now no longer works on GZDoom or Raze, and it runs in OpenGL now. Any clue what is happening here? Did my card break or what?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Devalaous

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Longstanding 'vulkan out of memory' crash

Postby dpJudas » Sat May 08, 2021 8:15 am

Is this error happening with a nightly build of GZDoom? I can't remember exactly when I fixed the "out of memory" error that was caused by vk_mem_alloc not liking when the hardware renderer layer requested 0 byte buffers, but it might been after the last release of GZD.
dpJudas

Postby Devalaous » Sat May 08, 2021 8:35 am

I am using the latest mainline GZDoom; 4.5.0

This is what my console now says when I load up GZDoom; it no longer sees Vulkan at all. In the crash report, it does show Vulkan being detected
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
Devalaous

Postby dpJudas » Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 am

Try a nightly build and see if it changes anything. I don't have GZDoom anymore on my computer so I can't test this.
dpJudas

Postby Devalaous » Tue May 25, 2021 12:18 am

After fixing my computer's inability to use Vulkan that happened shortly after I reported this (My computer decided that the integrated graphics on my CPU would take precedence over my dedicated Nvidia card, had to purge AMD drivers from my system), AND updating to GZDoom 4.60 from 4.50, this issue seems to be resolved.
Devalaous

Return to Vulkan Renderer Bugs