Utility for Jaguar/PSXDoom

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kaiser

Utility for Jaguar/PSXDoom

Post by Kaiser »

I was bored so I made this:
For a long time I've been trying to figure out how the wad format in the Jaguar and Playstation version of Doom were like. Finally I figured out the format and from there made a utility that will extract and convert the Jaguar/PSX data into standard PC Doom format. This includes sprites, textures, patches and maps.

This command line tool is just for demostration only and only for those who ever wondered how the wad format for these versions of Doom worked, Or if you want to check out the exclusive PSX maps in a level editor..

To use this tool you must have either the JaguarDoom rom or the PSXDoom CD.

download link here
Readme link here

Also, both JaguarDoom and PSXDoom has some new textures, graphics, and even unused sprites, so its worth checking out if you got nothing else to do. In the zip contains the readme and a list of all the lumps/data present in the main JaguarDoom/PSXDoom iwad.

Again, nothing major, but just for those who ever wondered how it was done..

Making this really inspired me to continue working on ConsoleDoom 2 again.. but I still need to find the right source port.

Enjoy.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ooh, this looks very interesting. I have PSX Doom so as soon as I get an opportunity, I'll check the contents of the WAD out.

Is there any way to "wildcard" the options to extract/convert everything in one go or does it have to be on a lump by lump basis?
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I was trying to do a -dumpall option but as of now I couldn't get it to extract all of them right..

I also wanted to make an option to convert the entire wad in just one sitting but that too will take a lot of planning to get it done right. Btw, I added the solution to your converting problem over at Doomworld.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, thanks. I've now managed to get an almost full extract. however, I did encounter some problems. I've posted about them over at DW.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Just to let those know I updated jagEdit again, the only thing added is very limited support for Doom64.

command:
"path" + jagEdit.exe -doom64rom "path of doom64 rom"

This will dump a wad named Doom64.wad. This is the actual IWAD used. But its useless.. the format is completly different than that of JaguarDoom and PSXDoom. The encoding is different so jagEdit is unable to extract/view any lumps.

Whats even worse is that the map format is completly different as well, so there is no way to extract that either. I did however included a text file with a list of all the lumps present in the Doom64 IWAD.. other than that its just for looks..

download link here
Readme link here

as for jagEdit, I am done with it for now.
Wills

Post by Wills »

Interesting. Too bad I don't have the CDs.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”