Doom Unity Ripper (For Doom 2019 Re-Releases)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Doom Unity Ripper (For Doom 2019 Re-Releases)

Post by kevansevans »

https://github.com/kevansevans/Unity-Do ... tag/V1.2.0

This is a simple executable that takes the IWADS out of the Unity assets for the Re-Releases of Classic Doom that Bethesda released on their launcher. This program is windows only, since afaik the Bethesda Launcher is only available for windows.

The only testing I have done was to see if the files would open up in Slade. I'm not 100 percent confident on these files, so it would be appreciated if a more well trained eye took a look at these.
Last edited by kevansevans on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom Unity Ripper (For Doom 2019 Re-Releases)

Post by Redneckerz »

In the here and now, a little tool that has usefulness written all over it. Thanks for this.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Quick update, the tool now scans the addons folder and neatly copies any wads found into the output folder: https://github.com/kevansevans/Unity-Do ... tag/V1.1.0

https://github.com/kevansevans/Unity-Do ... tag/V1.2.0
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Hi, I just played a lot of these and they worked fine. Nice one! I'm not sure if you need to have purchased the re-release from Bethesda.net for it to work, or if this just gives them to you because I don't know how this program works, but it ripped the wads fine for me. I'm sure you have to have purchased the Bethesda.net downloads for it to work, which I did, so I think that's right? Either way, these play great.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't actually have the unity versions but when I run this on a friend's computer, we get NERVE.WAD, PLUTONIAUNITY.WAD, SIGIL.WAD and TNTUNITY.WAD in the output folder but we don't get anything else.

Here's what UDR says...

Code: Select all

Checking default Bethesda games install...
Checking for Doom and Doom II...
Ultimate Doom is not present.
Doom II is not present.
Doom games not found, please point me to the install folder! Type 'skip' to ignore this step
:>
I've tried typing in full paths and partial paths and anything else that I can think of but no dice.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong here?

The games themselves definitely work - I've played a couple of maps on his machine and seen the green-cross medpacks but it'd be nice to see the original maps in GZDoom too. (Not that it really matters, my impression is that the maps are unaltered).
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Hidden Hands wrote:I'm sure you have to have purchased the Bethesda.net downloads for it to work
This is exactly what it's for! Glad it worked for you.
Enjay wrote: I've tried typing in full paths and partial paths and anything else that I can think of but no dice.
You need to point UDR to the full path just above the installs. So if the path to the game is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\DOOM_II_Classic_2019", you need to give it "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games". You can find the install path through the bethesda launcher under Game Options -> Show in Folder. Also UDR will only work with the Unity versions of Doom and not the DosBox versions, as the DosBox versions have the wads already exposed and can just be copy and pasted.

If this continues to give you issues, hit me up in DM's and I'll work with you in solving the problem.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I could have sworn that we'd tried that; obviously we hadn't. All files have now been assembled/extracted. Thank you.

The DOSBox versions do indeed have the WADs already exposed, but they are not the same versions as the Unity ones. They are the older ones with the med-pack pills, plain Wolfenstein walls and SSWV sprites replaced with ones that look like the zombieman.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

How I did it was ran the program, then a list of all the wads came up (doom and doom ii come up as DOOMUNITY.WAD and DOOM2UNITY.WAD) then I highlighted them all and copy pasted them where I wanted.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, we have extracted them all now. It's just that the first time we tried, all of the WADs were extracted except for the two main core games. Following kevansevans' instructions meant we could get the core games too.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

1.3 Update: https://github.com/kevansevans/Unity-Do ... s/tag/V1.3

Added OneDrive support for users who have set their OneDrive to function as their games folder
Various tweaks and stability
Fixed a bug where program would assume user inserted wad was directory and would crash.
frozenfoxx

Post by frozenfoxx »

Absolutely fantastic, thank you so much!
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

UDR was tested with the latest updates. The latest versions of the Bethesda Launcher versions now have their wads external, and no longer need to be extracted. However, the Master Levels are still embedded in Doom 2 and still require extraction. The program should still work if you instruct the Bethesda Launcher to use an older update of the game.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Question: isi it possible to get at those lovely 16:9 TITLEPICs?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I just posted a patch over at the Duke4.net forums which does pretty much that. You don't even need a dev build, works with latest official GZDoom release.

Otherwise: Does anybody know where and how Unity Doom stores its addon wads? I tried to get plutonia.wad and tnt.wad after downloading them, but I couldn't find them anywhere.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

NightFright wrote:Otherwise: Does anybody know where and how Unity Doom stores its addon wads? I tried to get plutonia.wad and tnt.wad after downloading them, but I couldn't find them anywhere.
They're in C:\Users\(Your Username)\Saved Games\id Software\(DOOM or DOOM 2)\WADs. The extensionless number file inside of each folder inside is your WAD.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”