Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder 2, Slade, WadSmoosh, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby boris » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:24 am

The SpawnFilter "Normal" corrosponds to "skill3", "Hard" to "skill4". So you probably have to set your SpawnFilter to 1 or 2.

The config defines which flags things get by default. That's defined in ZDoom_misc.cfg in the "defaultthingflags_udmf" (again included from the "mapformat_udmf" -> "defaultthingflags" block in ZDoom_common.cfg) block and includes skill1 to skill8. Not sure if it blindly applies those flags even if they weren't defined before, but you can check that by opening the map in Slade and have a look at the TEXTMAP lump.

So to get rid of that you might have to also use a custom "defaultthingflags" block.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Paar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 am

Worked flawlessly, thank you very much!
Paar

Postby bimshwel » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 pm

boh flobeep I have apparently been using a version of "gzdoom builder" from 2012 all this time! I don't know if that speaks more to the strength of the original product or the weakness of my map-producing skills, but I suppose I will have a better idea of that soon enough.
I will be glad to not see that 3d demon with its giant ugly odd-numbered cube teeth and gums anymore whatever the case.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:51 pm

I have found a discrepancy between how UDB handles scaling in a particular situation and how it is displayed in GZDoom. I don't know whether GZDoom is getting this wrong or UDB is.

If you look at the screenshot from UDB, there are two 3D floors. The floors are 48x48x48 and the texture on the sides is scaled by a factor of 1.33 to make it fit. The left floor is a normal floor and takes its texture information from the control sector. The floor on the right is using lower textures for its texture information.

However, in game, the floor on the right is not scaled.

Map attached.
Scaled.zip

Is it a GZDoom problem or a UDB problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby boris » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:38 pm

I would assume that it's a bug in UDB, taking texture related properties from the action line instead of the upper/lower textures from the taget (when specifying that those should be used) doesn't seem to make sense. And setting the scale for the lower texture on the target sidedefs makes it look correctly in GZDoom.
boris

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:20 am

Thanks for the answer. I've opened an issue on Github so that it doesn't get lost. https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoom ... issues/640 Thanks again.
Enjay

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:07 pm

I found another ACS instruction that UDB seems unaware of Door_AnimatedClose.

As before, it works but UDB doesn't know what to prompt you for as far as parameters etc go and it doesn't colour code it.

[edit]Hmmm... I'm not even sure this works. I can get it to compile but I can't actually get it to do anything. viewtopic.php?f=123&t=73641 [/edit]
Enjay

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:57 pm

And another couple of minor points - but I'm not sure if one is a UDB thing or a GZDoom thing. Both involve using line type 129 "Use Puzzle Item".
Spoiler:

The first thing is a very minor point. The item number field reads "None" even after "0" has been typed in. "0" is a valid puzzle item (indeed, Yorick's Skull from Hexen is puzzle item 0") but it still works because, I assume, the argument is set to 0 "behind the scenes). So it's a really minor point, but slightly misleading.

The second point I'm not sure about. Line type 129 asks for a script number as one of the arguments. There is no option to uses a named script here. Is this something that cannot be done engine-side or is it a UDB oversight?
Enjay

Postby boris » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:21 pm

The puzzle item is an enum in the game config. If you check out that action in the Hexen game configs you'll see that it's filled properly. Right now there doesn't seem to be a way to influence that enum. But considering that puzzle items have to define the "PuzzleItem.Number" property I guess it could be extracted from the DECORATE/ZScript actors.

Only the first parameter of actions can be strings, that's how GZDoom's UDMF extensions define it ("arg0str").
boris

Postby Gez » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:05 pm

boris wrote:Only the first parameter of actions can be strings, that's how GZDoom's UDMF extensions define it ("arg0str").

There's also arg1str. Though it's not mentioned in udmf_zdoom.txt, but it's there.
Gez

Postby boris » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:25 pm

Gez wrote:Though it's not mentioned in udmf_zdoom.txt, but it's there.

Why am I not surprised, heh. what about arg2str, arg3str, and arg4str?
boris

Postby Gez » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:55 pm

Those don't exist. Just 0 and 1.

AFAIK there's no standard actor or line type that would make use of a string parameter in third or later position.

While we're talking about argXstr, they're not used just for scripts! We also have the Hexen breakable items that use them for class names.
Gez

Postby NeuralStunner » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:16 pm

I'm surprised GZDoom doesn't support classnames instead of doomed numbers yet. A place ECWolf is in the lead, for once. :P
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby MartinHowe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:00 pm

I did ask about this, Graf said it was not standard within UDMF and other ports wouldn't work with it. I found it a strange answer in the context of mods targeting ZDoom only, as other ports might run the map but none of the infrastructure. While I have no bad feelings towards Legacy, Eternity, 3DGE, etc., I would never use them for modding as ZDoom is a de-facto standard anyway; I'd much rather UDMF had never existed and instead there was a ZDoom specific text map format with no limits or restrictions imposed for compatibility with other ports.
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Hey there!
I'm new to this forum, and I created an account to reply, saying this:
I can't download it. I tried with every browser I have. When the download was near it's end, it said the network connection was interrupted, while my internet was working fine.
Could you give me an alternate download of some sort, or fix the one here?
Alpha

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

PreviousNext

Return to Creation, Conversion, and Editing