Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder 2, Slade, WadSmoosh, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Pedro vc » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:38 am

This ZScript code gives an error:

Code: Select allExpand view
Class FireAlt  : LRFire {Default {Scale 1.7;} States {Spawn : CFFX DCFEGH 3 BRIGHT; Loop;}}

ZSCRIPT error in "LR\zscript\qwerty\qwerty.txt", line 534. Sprite name should be exactly 4 characters long (got spawn).

Removing the whitespace between "Spawn" and the ":" fixes the problem. Notice GzDoom has no problem running this code, so I think this is a UDB issue.
Pedro vc

Postby boris » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:34 pm

Pedro vc wrote:This ZScript code gives an error:

Code: Select allExpand view
Class FireAlt  : LRFire {Default {Scale 1.7;} States {Spawn : CFFX DCFEGH 3 BRIGHT; Loop;}}

ZSCRIPT error in "LR\zscript\qwerty\qwerty.txt", line 534. Sprite name should be exactly 4 characters long (got spawn).

Removing the whitespace between "Spawn" and the ":" fixes the problem. Notice GzDoom has no problem running this code, so I think this is a UDB issue.

Fixed.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Enjay » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:41 am

Just a minor thing - I noticed that the pop-up tool tip for Sector_SetDamage doesn't seem to be aware of all of the parameters. I think the last two are maybe newer?

214:Sector_SetDamage (tag, amount, mod, interval,leaky) ( Sector_SetDamage )

I don't think this is a problem with the ACS source files because when I put in a full set of parameters it compiled just fine (and worked in game) but I'm not sure where UDB pulls its information for the tool tips from.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby boris » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:44 am

That info comes from "Scripting\ZDoom_ACS.cfg", and the ACS functions defined in there are probably very outdated. But that doesn't matter for the compiler at all.
boris

Postby Blue Shadow » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm

I keep this updated as much as possible. Unfortunately, the ACS configuration of GZDoom Builder and Ultimate Doom Builder deviated a little from it, so it's not going to be a simple case of copy, paste and forget.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby boris » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:43 pm

The most sensible thing to do would be to grab the existing functions from zdefs.acs and then extract the info about parameter names from the wiki.
boris

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:20 am

Is there a mode/overlay/filter/something that shows sector types in UDB?

What I mean is some kind of coloured filter where you can see at a glance which sectors have a special of some sort.

If not, I personally, I find the ability to allocate colours to different line properties really useful and I have several presets defined and I was wondering if such a thing was possible for sectors too. Even a separate mode which looks a bit like sound propagation or sound environment mode that just has different blocks of colours for sectors with some effect or other would do the trick.

So does such a thing exist and I just missed it or is it the kind of thing that could be added?
Enjay

Postby Gibbed5200 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:51 pm

I'm not 100% where to put suggestions or requests for additions to Ultimate Doom Builder (or if I even can), so I figured I would start here. In the original Doom Builder 2, full brightness for the sector mode and the visual mode were independent of each other. It has now been integrated in such a way that when you switch one, you switch the other. This can make things more difficult and cumbersome when I'm working with fairly dark sectors, and need to retain the true brightness when in visual mode but not when I switch to the map/sector mode.

The request that I have, is it possible to either make it optional or return to the independent setting that was from years ago?
Gibbed5200

Postby boris » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Enjay wrote:Is there a mode/overlay/filter/something that shows sector types in UDB?

What I mean is some kind of coloured filter where you can see at a glance which sectors have a special of some sort.

If not, I personally, I find the ability to allocate colours to different line properties really useful and I have several presets defined and I was wondering if such a thing was possible for sectors too. Even a separate mode which looks a bit like sound propagation or sound environment mode that just has different blocks of colours for sectors with some effect or other would do the trick.

So does such a thing exist and I just missed it or is it the kind of thing that could be added?

I'm not aware of such a feature or mode. Technically it's possible, of course. You can add it as a feature request on GitHub, but don't get your hopes up for it to be added anytime soon if at all (at least by me).

Gibbed5200 wrote:I'm not 100% where to put suggestions or requests for additions to Ultimate Doom Builder (or if I even can), so I figured I would start here. In the original Doom Builder 2, full brightness for the sector mode and the visual mode were independent of each other. It has now been integrated in such a way that when you switch one, you switch the other. This can make things more difficult and cumbersome when I'm working with fairly dark sectors, and need to retain the true brightness when in visual mode but not when I switch to the map/sector mode.

The request that I have, is it possible to either make it optional or return to the independent setting that was from years ago?

If I'm not mistaken DB2 didn't even have an option to show the 2D view in fullbright. Personally I'm not seeing much use of independent toggles, since it's just one keypress to switch between it, but I guess it could be added as an option to have them independent. If you happen to have an account at GitHub you can open an issue for that: https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoomBuilder/issues
boris

Postby Enjay » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:25 am

boris wrote:I'm not aware of such a feature or mode. Technically it's possible, of course. You can add it as a feature request on GitHub, but don't get your hopes up for it to be added anytime soon if at all (at least by me).

Fair enough. I'll add a request. If it happens, it happens. It's not something that is going to make a break my mapping workflow, but I think it could be useful. Thanks.

[edit]And done. https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoom ... issues/637 [/edit]
Enjay

Postby Paar » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 am

We have our own difficulty levels in our project and I have a hard time associate those skill levels with things flags in thing details window (we are using MAPINFO for skills definition). Right now I see some default values, like Skill 1 - 8 and Class 1 - 5. How to get rid of it? What is needed to show e.g. only two difficulty levels? Documentation seems a little vague on this topic.

Tried "thingsflags" block in my CFG files to no avail. Is there a way to import flags directly from pk3 file? Thanks for any help!
Paar

Postby boris » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:27 am

Paar wrote:We have our own difficulty levels in our project and I have a hard time associate those skill levels with things flags in thing details window (we are using MAPINFO for skills definition). Right now I see some default values, like Skill 1 - 8 and Class 1 - 5. How to get rid of it? What is needed to show e.g. only two difficulty levels? Documentation seems a little vague on this topic.

Tried "thingsflags" block in my CFG files to no avail. Is there a way to import flags directly from pk3 file? Thanks for any help!

The "thingflags" block is correct. It's additive, though, so whatever you put in your "thingflags" block gets added to the existing one. Assuming you made a copy of the GZDoom UDMF config: what you'll have to do is to make a copy of ZDoom_misc.cfg, go to the "thingflags" block in the "mapformat_udmf" block, remove the existing "includes" and put whatever flags you want to have there. Then you have to change the inclusion of "mapformat_udmf" in your base config from the ZDoom_misc.cfg to your copied version of ZDoom_misc.cfg.
boris

Postby [_ilystra_] » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:39 pm

ramon.dexter wrote:
[_ilystra_] wrote:●2. Additing actor categories, categories color, actor color, default args, actor icon/sprite and etc without Editor keys (these //$ actor strings)

Okay, how do you want this to work without the editor keys?

(Sorry for my english, I russian) Hello, I thing this it can be implemented a separate settings tab in Tools>Game configurations>boom: doom (doom format), boom: doom 2 (doom format) and etc. It can also be implemented by creating a settings tab in View tab, this settings tab may be similar to the settings tab configure linedefs colors.
[_ilystra_]

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby boris » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:07 pm

So here's the latest build of the UDBScript branch.

What is this?
This is an experimental version of UDB with scripting capabilities. It allows the users to write and run scripts that can do pretty much anything to the currently opened map, like adding or modifying geometry and things.
This feature has been brewing for quite some time, so this version can be regarded as a release candidate. That means it will be merged into the master branch soon if no (big) flaws are found.

To find such potential flaws I need feedback on how usable it is, what's working good, what's not, if there's anything nonsensical in the API, or even the docs (see below).

Where can I get it?
Here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ultimated ... -Test-4.7z
Make sure to unpack it in a clean folder. Do not overwrite your existing UDB installation with this!

What language is used to write scripts?
JavaScript.

What do scripts look like?
There are a couple examples included, you can also check them out here: https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoom ... s/Examples

Here's what the example script to create a door looks like:

Spoiler:

Is there any documentation?
Yes! For the time being you can find it here: https://biwa.github.io/udbscript-docs/
Make sure to check out the "Getting started" section which has a detailed explanation of how everything works.

Is this the same as DBX's scripting?
No. DBX uses Lua for its scripting, so those scripts will not work with UDBScript. But since both DBX's scripting and UDBScript are exposing the same underlying structures it shouldn't be too hard to convert scripts from one editor to the other.
boris

Postby Paar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:57 am

boris wrote:The "thingflags" block is correct. It's additive, though, so whatever you put in your "thingflags" block gets added to the existing one. Assuming you made a copy of the GZDoom UDMF config: what you'll have to do is to make a copy of ZDoom_misc.cfg, go to the "thingflags" block in the "mapformat_udmf" block, remove the existing "includes" and put whatever flags you want to have there. Then you have to change the inclusion of "mapformat_udmf" in your base config from the ZDoom_misc.cfg to your copied version of ZDoom_misc.cfg.

Thanks for the help, worked nicely (mapformat block is in ZDoom_common file, but that's fine, found it ;) ). Now I have a problem linking skill flags to our actual skill levels defined in the MAPINFO lump.

Let's say I have these skill levels:
Spoiler:

And this thingflags block in UDB CFG:
Spoiler:

This doesn't work, things just spawn with either flags active. Wham am I doing wrong?
Paar

PreviousNext

Return to Creation, Conversion, and Editing