Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder 2, Slade, WadSmoosh, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Jarewill » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:25 am

Sorry if this was already answered, but how would I go about making maps for a TC?
Should I use the GZDoom: Doom 2 (UDMF) game configuration and load the project instead of Doom 2, or is there a way to create a custom game configuration?
Jarewill

Postby Enjay » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:08 am

Most of the time, loading your TC files as resources will do what you need as any new actors, textures and so on will just be added to the Doom2 UDMF menus/texture browser etc.

However, it is also possible to make your own game/TC specific configuration. I did this by copying the GZDoom UDMF files, renaming them and editing them accordingly (lots of adding actors to the "things" include file).

Some of the files don't need to be edited (at least I didn't need to edit them) so, I didn't even bother copying and changing them, I merely left the references to them in the main .cfg file (which, as I implied, was just a renamed copy of GZDoom_DoomUDMF.cfg). e.g. files such as "Includes\\GZDoom_things.cfg" are just referenced "as is" in my own .cfg file

It took a while for me to work through it all but now that it's set up, it's easy for me to tweak and add/remove things from it and I find it much more convenient when I am working with those particular resource files. It wasn't particularly difficult to do, merely a bit laborious.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Jarewill » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 am

Thanks for the info Enjay!
I was hoping for the ability to make a custom game configuration, and it just so happened that it is possible.
Jarewill

Postby nova++ » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 pm

I would recommend taking a while and study the structure of all the includes in some of the stock configs, too. It will help you understand it to make your own.

If you want your custom actors to load properly by the way, make sure you add gzdoom.pk3 to the resources.
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Discord: PM me!
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby Paar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:08 am

Hi everyone! I'm preparing configuration files for GZDoom TC project and have hard time getting custom keys working in UDB when editin a linedef. I have a main configuration file names GZDoom_{project_abbrev}_UDMF.cfg and in that file I have this section:

enums
{
// Basic game enums
include("Includes\\Doom_misc.cfg", "enums");
// Standard ZDoom enums
include("Includes\\ZDoom_misc.cfg", "enums");

include("Includes\\{project_abbrev}_misc.cfg", "enums_{project_abbrev}");
}

In the included misc file, I have this:

enums_{project_abbrev}
{
keys
{
0 = "None";
1 = "First Key";
2 = "Second Key";
3 = "Third Key";
4 = "Fourth Key";
5 = "Fifth Key";
6 = "Sixth Key";
100 = "Any key";
101 = "All keys";
102 = "Impossible";
229 = "One of each color";
}
}

Shouldn't that be enough to show those keys in the "Lock number" droplist in linedef properties? Unfortunately I cannot see those numbers there, only some options probably imported from lockdefs text file insinde main ipk3 file. What should I do to see it properly? Thanks for any advice!
Paar

Postby boris » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:58 am

The locks from the config files are only used if there's no LOCKDEF file in the resources.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Paar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Alright, fair enough. In that case, is there something wrong in our lockdefs file? Only locks 100 and 228 are being shown, is it possible that UDB has a problem with those Zscript classes names in other definitions? I have checked our Zscript files and there are no typos in the class names.

Spoiler:
Paar

Postby boris » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 pm

That lockdefs works fine for me. UDB doesn't care about the class names (or most other properties of a lock definition).
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Enjay » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Are you loading some other resource with a lockdefs that could be overriding your definitions?
Enjay

Postby Paar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:46 pm

You're right, it doesn't work because it is located in GZDoom.pk3 too. Unfortunately I have to include it as resource because I get tons of errors if I don't. Is there any workaround?

EDIT: I have removed the lockdefs file from GZDoom.pk3 and it work great now.
Paar

Postby Enjay » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Does it make a difference if you change the load order?

If that doesn't work, make a copy of GZDoom.pk3 with the lockdefs removed, load it as a resource (instead of the full GZDoom.pk3) but exclude it from testing.
Enjay

Postby Paar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm

Loading order does work too but the thing is I cannot use my ipk3 as a default resource in my game configuration because in that case it's grayed out and not movable.
Paar

Postby Diode » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:41 am

Version R3274

I'm unable to get zscript actors to appear in the editor.

MODELDEF warning in "friendly.pk3\MODELDEF", line 149. DECORATE class "GnollSlaver" does not exist.
Failed to apply MAPINFO DoomEdNum override "8801 = gnollslaver": failed to find corresponding actor class...

Despite loading gzdoom.pk3, it still seems to be looking for Decorate instead of Zscript.

I also get an error from gzdoom.pk3 despite checking the box to exclude it from tests:

ZSCRIPT error in "gzdoom.pk3\zscript\actors\actor.zs", line 341. Expected modifier or name, got <Token.OpenCurly ({)>.

I have tried changing the order of the resources, but still no luck. The actor appears in game, but the editor cannot find it.
Diode

Postby Kappes Buur » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:23 am

Diode wrote:Version R3274

Try version r3828
Kappes Buur

Postby Diode » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:56 pm

Kappes Buur wrote:Try version r3828

Ha, thanks.

Someone might want to update the OP so that the linked installer points to a more recent version, rather than have idiots like me blundering along and assuming it is.
Diode

PreviousNext

Return to Creation, Conversion, and Editing