Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Mav3r1ck » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 am

I'm using a custom resource that rearranges existing patches into new patched textures (new doors, new wall textures, etc) using my DOOM2.wad but they are being shown incorrectly in UDB but are shown correct during gameplay/testing of WIP maps I'm working on. How can I fix this?

For example, I created a 16 x 128 metal bar that uses the patches RW26_1 and M1_1 for hell themed levels but it renders as PLAT2_1 using the 16 x 128 dimensions for some reason but renders correctly during gameplay/testing.
Mav3r1ck

Postby MrStayPuft » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:30 pm

This weekend I've been experimenting with 16-angle sprites (as described here https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sprite#Angles), and I've just discovered that Ultimate Doom Builder doesn't like them. It refuses to load the sprite and comes up with the error message: "Expected sprite angle in [1..8] range"

I'm guessing this is an oversight in the error checking code. I don't need UDB to load and render all 16 angles (I don't know how hard that would be), but it should at least be tolerant of the fact that there may be 16 angles (1-G) per sprite.

I'm currently using UDB 3.0.0.3763 (f8e836a)

The offending code is in ThingTypeInfo.cs, SetupSpriteFrame(), around line 767.

Code: Select allExpand view
// More sanity checks
if(targetangle < 1 || targetangle > 8)
{
    General.ErrorLogger.Add(ErrorType.Error, "Error in actor \"" + title + "\":" + index + ", sprite \"" + s + "\". Expected sprite angle in [1..8] range");
    return false;
}

I'd post a bug in github myself, but I don't have an account. Thanks in advance to anyone who can chase this up.
MrStayPuft

Postby boris » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:22 am

What's the complete error message?
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby MrStayPuft » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:09 pm

boris wrote:What's the complete error message?

The complete error messages (two of them) in the Errors and Warnings window are:

Code: Select allExpand view
Error in actor "TestReference":15000, sprite "T000A9". Expected sprite angle in [1..8] range
Unable to find sprite lump "T000A" used by actor "TestReference":15000. Forgot to include required resources?

"TestReference" is the name of my decorate actor class. The sprites are declared in TEXTURES.TXT as "T000A1" to "T000AG".

----

You got me thinking... I tried commenting out the extra sprite declarations ("T000A9" to "T000AG") in TEXTURES temporarily, and it seemed to load fine without error. It also appears that only the first animation frame matters to UDB, as I didn't need to do the same for frame B etc.

With that in mind, I can work around the problem with a //$Sprite editor key in DECORATE, along with a special set of Sprite declarations in TEXTURES specifically for UDB.

Still, would be good if this could be fixed in UDB.
MrStayPuft

Postby boris » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:43 pm

can you provide a minimal example showing the problem?
boris

Postby MrStayPuft » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:53 am

boris wrote:can you provide a minimal example showing the problem?

Try this. DOOM II, MAP01.

It's a simple room with a thing ("TestRotations") at the center with 16 rotations for frame "A". As you will see, it works fine in (G)ZDoom, but if you load it in UDB you will get the error messages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrStayPuft

Postby boris » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:14 pm

Yes, UDB handled sprites with 16 rotations defined in TEXTURES incorrectly. Will be fixed in the next version. Still not being displayed with 16 rotations, though.
boris

Previous

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation