Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Mav3r1ck » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:55 am

Talon1024 wrote:
Mav3r1ck wrote:I'm not sure how to explain it exactly.

For example, on The Bleeding, there or cube-like structures surrounding the player start building. Now when you look at them you'll notice the colored lighting effects are compressed to match the height of the cube-like structures instead of stretching the whole sector height.

GZDoom has sidedef flags for that.

Warden wrote:Speaking of Doom 64, the UDMF config is missing a definition for sector special 89 GLSector_NoSkyDraw (this mimics D64's fake 3d floor hack). Right now it doesn't show up as an option.

Indeed, and there's also the "NoSkyWalls" and "DrawFullHeight" linedef flags for that, added by yours truly.

How exactly do I set those flags?

EDIT: Unless I'm missing something. I do not see it in the editing window when using d64 colored lighting.
Mav3r1ck

Postby Talon1024 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:40 pm

Select some lines, and right-click to open the "Edit Linedefs" dialog. Under the "Front" and "back" tabs, there is a "Custom Fields" button. Press it, and enter "clampgradient_top", "clampgradient_mid", or "clampgradient_bottom" into one of the slots, switch the type to "Boolean", and set the value to "True".
Talon1024

Github ID: Talon1024
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Batandy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:01 pm

I have a suggestion for a new feature that I think would be pretty useful, a way to categorize actors in layers, and then toggle them on and off in a dedicated layer box akin to Hammer Editor for source, so that you can hide them from the grid.
It would be useful for a lot of gzdoom advanced maps that use a ton of actors as checks or perhaps just a lot of decorations, you'd just tag the layer kinda like how you already can add comments (perhaps with a default "none" set automatically)
Of course this would serve no function for the actual level, it would be just a way to clean up your map and easily access core actors. (Ex: in a map, a layer dedicated for just GFX related actors, monsters that activate script specials, bounding boxes that the player interacts with, specific dynamic lights, the list goes on)
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Mav3r1ck » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Talon1024 wrote:Select some lines, and right-click to open the "Edit Linedefs" dialog. Under the "Front" and "back" tabs, there is a "Custom Fields" button. Press it, and enter "clampgradient_top", "clampgradient_mid", or "clampgradient_bottom" into one of the slots, switch the type to "Boolean", and set the value to "True".

I did what you suggested but nothing changed.

I went to "front side" and to "custom fields" underneath that. I typed "user_clampgradient_mid boolean true" but nothing happened.
Mav3r1ck

Postby Talon1024 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:42 pm

You won't see it in UDB; you'll have to go into the game to see it in action. If it still doesn't work, you may have entered something incorrectly. You won't be able to replace the "comment" on the first row, so you'll have to enter it in on one of the rows below the comment.

The first column should be "clampgradient_mid" (remove the user_ prefix), the second column should be "Boolean" (drop-down menu), and the third column should be "True".
Talon1024

Postby Mav3r1ck » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Awesome! that worked and thank you.

And also is their a flag to add additive properties to the lighting like in D64?
Mav3r1ck

Postby Talon1024 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:30 am

Yes, there are properties for Doom 64 style additive lighting in GZDoom maps. You can use "coloradd_floor", "coloradd_ceiling", "coloradd_sprites", and "coloradd_walls" on sectors. You can use "coloradd_top", "coloradd_mid", or "coloradd_bottom" on sidedefs.

To set the "coloradd" properties on sectors, go to the "Custom" tab, enter one of the coloradd properties into the first column and row (no user_ prefix). Calculating the value for this one involves taking a hexadecimal RGB color and converting it to an integer, and then copying and pasting it into the third column. You can also use ZScript to change the coloradd properties on sectors and sidedefs, and IMO it's easier that way.

To set the "coloradd" properties on sidedefs, do what you did to set the "clampgradient" properties on sidedefs, except you'll also need to add a "useowncoloradd" property if you want the sidedef (or that part of it) to be separate from the sector's "coloradd" properties.
Talon1024

Postby Mav3r1ck » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:13 am

Thanks for your help in doing this.

Also, I don't use zscript. Would be able provide me an example on how to do it using zscript?
Mav3r1ck

Postby kkkk » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:31 pm

For some reason, having the bottom panel visible (the one that displays information of whatever is highlighted) makes switching between linedefs, sectors and things slugglish in Visual mode. Diagnosing this kind of problem seems hard. I use this panel only in classic mode, so, is there any way to hide it only when you access visual mode?
kkkk

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Kappes Buur » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:32 am

kkkk wrote:For some reason, having the bottom panel visible (the one that displays information of whatever is highlighted) makes switching between linedefs, sectors and things slugglish in Visual mode. Diagnosing this kind of problem seems hard. I use this panel only in classic mode, so, is there any way to hide it only when you access visual mode?

The shortcut key you want is the ~ (tilde)

How the Visual Mode behaves depends on several factors:
    the extend of the map
    the number of actors in the map
    the number of special constructs, like 3D floors, slopes, arches, etc.
    the viewdistance
    what kind of graphics card you have

I have an old GeForce 660, which behaves the same either way. With a map like this,

Spoiler:

ca 27000 mu across, in small jerky steps :D
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kappes Buur

Postby axredneck » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:25 am

kkkk wrote:For some reason, having the bottom panel visible (the one that displays information of whatever is highlighted) makes switching between linedefs, sectors and things slugglish in Visual mode. Diagnosing this kind of problem seems hard. I use this panel only in classic mode, so, is there any way to hide it only when you access visual mode?

Yes, this panel is very slow. I completely disabled it.
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby kkkk » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 pm

Is there any way to interpolate doom64-like light colors with the gradient tool? I don't see an option for it.
kkkk

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Miru » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:34 pm

I decided to use this map to try and create a map designed expressly for MetaDoom; and so I loaded it as a resource along with my complete pk3, which was configured to be my default resources for UDMF. However, when I try to add things; what's shown are only the vanilla monsters, weapons, and decorations; even though MetaDoom's titlemap textures can be used for some reason. How do I solve this and become able to use MetaDoom resources? I do not want to have them included into the map's WAD file, however.
Miru

Postby Ravick » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:32 am

Hi there.

I was using Ultimate Doom Builder normally until last night, but this night I've tried it and I got this message when it is loading nodebuilder configs:

Não foi possível carregar arquivo ou assembly 'ScintillaNET, Version=3.6.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' ou uma de suas dependências. O módulo deveria conter um manifesto de assembly.
em CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.LoadAllScriptConfigurations()
em CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.Main(String[] args) na C:\Daten\Programmieren\Projekte\UltimateDoomBuilder\Source\Core\General\General.cs:linha 714

Sorry for the Portuguese parts (and also if I should have posted this in any other thread instead).

I've started using UBD recently, and I've updated the UDB last night, when the program asked and stuff, but it worked fine later.
I'm using Win10, and it has also made one of those kinda-forced updates. I guess it might be related because I've tried to reinstall UDB and now Win10 says that I "must be logged as an admin to run it".

But I've just tried GZDoomBuilder now, and it seems to be working just fine.

How can I use UDB again? :(
Ravick
Do what thou wilt, since you don't bug the hell out of me!

Postby Kappes Buur » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 am

Ravick wrote:How can I use UDB again? :(

First, install UDB in a folder other then the Windows related folders, for example:
C:\DOOM\Editors\UDB or such, or even better if you have a separate drive for games.

Second, personally I always download and install UDB manually into a new folder rather then overwriting an existing installation, you may want to deselect the autoupdater

Third, UDB uses OpenGL 3.3 or better instead of D3D.
Kappes Buur

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation