Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby boris » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:30 am

I guess it's the quotes that enclose the texture paths in the usemtl commands.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Kinsie » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:05 am

That'd do it, thanks for pointing that out!
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Misery » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Where does Ultimate Doom Builder derive its resources from, such as DECORATE for original actors. The reason I ask is I want to modify the DECORATE/ZSCRIPT for Stealth Monsters to organize them into a Stealth Monsters category, and I want to erase the DoomEdNum for certain actors such as the Helper Dog and Beta Lost Soul, 'cause I will never use them, and I'd rather have them not show up in the editor if possible. I tried modifying it in ZDoom and GZDoom .pk3, but it didn't change it in UDB.
Misery

Postby axredneck » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:52 pm

@Misery, usually you specify that file yourself. In my case it's gzdoom.pk3 from my GZDoom install.
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Misery » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:06 pm

axredneck wrote:@Misery, usually you specify that file yourself. In my case it's gzdoom.pk3 from my GZDoom install.

Where do you specify it? GZDoom.pk3 is already in my Resource Configuration list, but modifying the DECORATE in Slade isn't changing anything in UDB. That's why I thought maybe it got its resources from somewhere else.
Misery

Postby boris » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:20 am

It's in the game config files.
boris

Postby Misery » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:32 am

boris wrote:It's in the game config files.

Could you be more specific? There are no files like that in UDB's Config files, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Misery

Postby Nmn » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:08 am

Hello

I apologise if I bump an inactive topic, but I have a suggestion. Can I suggest here or can someone be kind enough to point me to the appropriate place for such?
My suggestion is tiny, but could be really useful..

Can I please ask for 3d floor support in the 3d editing view when editing Doom 2 format maps, like when using Legacy or Edge 3d floor linedefs so they would show up?
I'm messing around with legacy 3d floors and right now I'm making 3d floors in a seperate map using the zdoom format, so they are previewed in the 3d mode where I make adjustments and such, then I copy the sectors (along with control sectors) back to the primary map using legacy stuff and adjust linedef typs and tags. Naturally they don't show up, so I have to play the map to preview them :(

It'd be much helpful if this was possible using the doom 2 format.
Pretty please :)
Nmn
Dafuq lmao

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby boris » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:45 am

I don't see that happening. There's not even a config for Legacy, and nobody maps for Legacy, so it's simply not worth the time.
boris

Postby Nmn » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:15 am

It's just a small thing, I don't even use a Legacy cfg myself, my request is just that the sectors tagged by linedef type 184 (Legacy 3d floor) and/or 400 (Edge 3d floor) would be displayed as 3d floors in the 3d preview mode with enhanced effects, just as it is with the Gzdoom 3d floor line 160.

I tried messing around with cfg files but I failed at making it happen myself.
Nmn
Dafuq lmao

Postby Gustavo6046 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm

There is a genuine lack of diversity when it comes to proper level editors for Doom, even more so on Linux. Ultimate Doom Builder is the latest of a truly blessed golden lineage; bearing the name of Doom Builder, no wonder it has become such a beautiful artifact, a holy grail of mappers; the one kind of monopoly that I won't argue with, you know. It is supposed to bring the entirety of Doom mapping together.

Ergo, I believe we should at least try to support as many map formats as possible, even possibly obscure ones, if it can be argued that they were historically or technically notable. I don't think I need to say anything to prove that Doom Legacy has left a... a legacy. So I'm sure that it deserves to be supported by such an important level editor. I mean, this is Ultimate Doom Builder; we need to be more universal... more ultimate! Doom tools, like this and SLADE 3, are known for their often excessive versatility and support ranges. I mean, heck, how many formats did you NOT know SLADE 3 cam open?

So, if nothing else, that is in my opinion a very valid reason to broaden the level format support of UDB as broad as humanly possible. There is no such thing as excessive if going beyond can only be better, and excess can be an achievement in and of itself.
Gustavo6046

Discord: Gustavo6046#9009

Postby Kappes Buur » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:.....
Ergo, I believe we should at least try to support as many map formats as possible, even possibly obscure ones, if it can be argued that they were historically or technically notable.

I do agree with this in principal, but the important word here is obscure. New configuration files might give these obscure ports a new lease on life.

Yet, as with anything else in the Doom community, every tool and utility came about because someone had a vested interest in creating it, may it be through need or a particular interest.

If someone wanted to undertake the creation of Legacy configuration files (or any other ones), then perhaps, working off of the Eternity configuration files would be helpful. That being said, I wonder how many people are actively mapping for Legacy? I personally only played a couple of Legacy maps back when Romero touted the use of Legacy and haven't touched it since.
Kappes Buur

Postby Nmn » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:59 am

I'd just like to have 3d floors done with Legacy or Edge linedefs, which Zdoom and Gzdoom support, to be shown in the 3d view. I tried messing around with modifying zdoom, boom and eternity config files but there are no 3d floors :(
It doesn't have to be Legacy, it could be 3dge 3d floors (which I think is still actively developped).

I'd just like to try mapping for Doom2 with the added benefit of 3d floors. Sure I could just map for zdoom with 3d floors :? But I thought I'd ask.
Nmn
Dafuq lmao

Postby boris » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:52 am

I'm not saying I'm against it. I'm saying that I won't spend time on something that nobody will use when that time can be spent on something useful. If anybody else wants to do it - be my guest (but we all know that's not gonna happen).
boris

Postby Nmn » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:37 am

:( Guess it's Zdoom format then (or it's derivatives) if I want to edit 3d floors in the 3d view.
Nmn
Dafuq lmao

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation