Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder 2, Slade, WadSmoosh, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby boris » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:08 pm

UDB doesn't run ACS scripts. How would that even work and what'd be the point of it.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Misery » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:22 am

Then what does? If I'm designing a level in UDB and ACS isn't functioning properly, where or how would I investigate it? Where are its resources located?
Misery

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:18 am

Just a quick configuration file question - I expect that the answer will be "can't be done" but no harm in asking. It's not that big a deal anyway.

I have several actors that can change their appearance depending on how I set their arguments in the editor. As a simple example, here's a chair:

Code: Select allExpand view
//4 legs, metal frame
Actor Chair
{
   Radius 16
   Height 16
   +FLOORCLIP

States
   {
      Spawn:
      TNT1 A 0
      BRS1 A 0 A_JumpIf(args[0] == 0, "WeAreBrown")
      BRS1 A 0 A_JumpIf(args[0] == 1, "WeAreRed")
      BRS1 A 0 A_JumpIf(args[0] == 2, "WeAreGreen")
      BRS1 A 0 A_JumpIf(args[0] == 3, "WeAreBlue")
      BRS1 A 0 A_JumpIf(args[0] == 4, "WeAreGrey")
      BRS1 A 0 A_JumpIf(args[0] == 5, "WeAreCyan")
      BRS1 A 0 A_JumpIf(args[0] == 6, "WeAreOrange")

WeAreBrown:
      BRS1 A -1
      Stop

WeAreRed:
      POSS A -1
      Stop

WeAreGreen:
      POSS B -1
      Stop

WeAreBlue:
      POSS C -1
      Stop

WeAreGrey:
      POSS D -1
      Stop

WeAreCyan:
      POSS E -1
      Stop

WeAreOrange:
      POSS F -1
      Stop
   }
}

The actor uses a model and, in MODELDEF, different sprites are mapped to different skins. So depending on how the args are set in the editor, the chair appears different colours.

I've set up the actor with its own config in my UDB project files:

Code: Select allExpand view
{
   title = "Chair: Metal";
   sprite = "BRS1A0";
   width = 16;
   height = 16;
   class = "Chair";
   blocking = 0;
   arg0
   {
      title = "Colour";
      type = 11;
      enum
      {
         0 = "Brown";
         1 = "Red";
         2 = "Green";
         3 = "Blue";
         4 = "Grey";
         5 = "Cyan";
         6 = "Orange";
      }
   }
}

And that allows me to easily set the parameters in UDB.

However, the one minor problem here is that such a setup always uses the same sprite for UDB's reference to the actor, and so the model always appears as a brown chair in 3D mode, regardless of how the parameter is set.

UDB

Game

I know that UDB is not doing anything wrong here, so this is not a complaint or a bug report. It's not even a feature request - if it can't be done then so be it - but I was wondering if there was any way to set up my UDB things file so that the parameter choices resulted in the different skins of the model being shown in UDB (presumably by having different sprites showing for the different parameters)?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby boris » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:23 am

Misery Theatre wrote:Then what does? If I'm designing a level in UDB and ACS isn't functioning properly, where or how would I investigate it? Where are its resources located?

You said it worked in GZDoom. What else do you want? What are you trying to do? Sounds more like a thing for viewforum.php?f=123 or viewforum.php?f=122

Enjay wrote:Just a quick configuration file question - I expect that the answer will be "can't be done" but no harm in asking. It's not that big a deal anyway.

Can't be done. Also I think you can use the //$ArgN and //$ArgNEnum editor keys in your DECORATE/ZScript, that way you don't need to define them in an extra config file.
boris

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:02 pm

OK, as expected. Thanks for confirming, and for the tip.
Enjay

Postby Misery » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 am

I want to be able to test the map in Ultimate Doom Builder. I don't want to have to update the Wad in Slade every time I make a minor change. I want to fix my UDB. I don't understand why so far everyone here questions why I want help. Something doesn't work and I seeking assistance.
Misery

Postby boris » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:50 am

Because it's not an UDB issue if the script doesn't do what you expect it to do.
boris

Postby Misery » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:59 am

If the script works in GZDoom but not UDB, how is it not UDB? If I test the map in UDB, nothing spawns. If I save it in a pk3 and play it on GZDoom, the monsters spawn. I'd say it's UDB.
Misery

Postby axredneck » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Misery Theatre wrote:If I test the map in UDB...

How do you test the map in UDB?
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:09 pm

Just a wild guess - in UDB with your map loaded, hit F6 and then look at the "Testing" tab. Look at the parameters and skill settings to see if there is anything there that might be causing a problem (like running with -nomonsters, for example).
Enjay

Postby Misery » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:39 pm

That was the first thing I checked. The application execution, perimeters, they were all good.
Misery

Postby Gez » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:15 am

It's important to be precise. What you're actually saying is that your script does not run in GZDoom when you test the level from UDB; and that you need to use SLADE to update the script instead so it works. Right? Then I suppose there can be two possible reasons for that:

The first is if your script is a library. Then nothing to be done. It's conceptually separate from the map so it's not a map editor's jurisdiction.

The second is if your script is a map script, but for some reason UDB fails to get it compiled. This case is where there is a problem that can be solved.
Gez

Postby Misery » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:06 am

I just decided to reinstall UDB and it works now. I don't know what was wrong, but thanks for the info. It's always useful to know more about the programs work.
Misery

Postby SanyaWaffles » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:51 pm

is there a way Doom 64 and glow properties can be copy/pasted like light/fade/desaturations are?
SanyaWaffles
Certified Heretic and Grill Champion

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Kinsie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Hey there, I've got a model which works fine in GZDoom but crashes UDB on load. Any ideas?

Spoiler:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

PreviousNext

Return to Creation, Conversion, and Editing