Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Deon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 pm

The time has come to ask an ultimate question.

If I plan making big maps for DOOM, and using furniture... Has anyone ever used VOXEL replacers for furniture instead of struggling with floor/3dfloor geometry for each chair? Was there no demand, or am I bad at googling? It sounds like something that could have been created.
Deon

Postby axredneck » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:43 am

@Deon, you should create separate topics for these questions.
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Deon » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am

That makes sense. I think I have a duckling effect here, I got a lot of help in this thread and now I stick around. Sorry, I will correct myself, and thank you.
Deon

Postby CBM » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:11 am

Deon wrote:The time has come to ask an ultimate question.

If I plan making big maps for DOOM, and using furniture... Has anyone ever used VOXEL replacers for furniture instead of struggling with floor/3dfloor geometry for each chair? Was there no demand, or am I bad at googling? It sounds like something that could have been created.

I know you was supposed to ask this in another thread... BUT

I just discovered VOXELS too...

and in my opinion they are PERFECT for furniture and in general any decoration that does not have or need animations

and bonus .... they are the only way to make HORISONTALLY moving platforms

in general though... for animated objects I prefer MD3

you can literaly take or make any static 3D MODEL (ie. as an OBJ file)
and convert it to a voxel...

and then just use it as a 3D sprite... its pretty amazing really

check out my thread on doomworld for a download link to a voxel based horisontally moving 3d floor

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nt-2205130
CBM
Imp Slayer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)

Postby boris » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 am

If you have it as a model... why not use the model? UDB can even export geometry as OBJ that works out-of-the-box in GZDoom. Some time ago I made a video where I create a fan in UDB, export it as OBJ and then use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo55giGKxjo
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby StalkerBlade » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 pm

I found a few issues when using the arch tools:

If you change the texture of the floor or ceiling after the arch is set, it makes the middle section rise to an odd height, sometimes to a really high value.

I also found that if you draw a connecting sector to a sector with an arch, it makes the connecting sector do this:

Idk if these are bugs with the editor or not, so I figured I'd just report them here anyway.
StalkerBlade

Postby esselfortium » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04 pm

I'm trying to update from a random old version of GZDB to the current UDB, but my Windows 10 VM is reporting a graphics crash and shutting down UDB any time I try creating or opening a map. I'm running a fresh Win10 install in a Parallels Desktop 15 virtual machine on macOS 10.14. Any idea what might have changed that would cause GZDB and other DB2-based editors to work normally but UDB to explode my setup?
esselfortium

Postby dpJudas » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

UDB uses OpenGL 3.3+ for its rendering. DB2 and GZDB uses Direct3D 9. Does other OpenGL 3 (or newer) applications work in your parallels setup?
dpJudas

Postby esselfortium » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:13 pm

dpJudas wrote:UDB uses OpenGL 3.3+ for its rendering. DB2 and GZDB uses Direct3D 9. Does other OpenGL 3 (or newer) applications work in your parallels setup?

I see. Parallels' site says "As of now, only OpenGL core profile (version 3.2) is supported in Windows VMs." Bluh.
esselfortium

Postby Rachael » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:24 pm

I have no idea how easy it is to install Mono for Mac, but you can try that, or even Wine. They should be able to run UDB directly.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby dpJudas » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:33 pm

The mono winforms implementation for Mac is unfortunately so broken it still uses carbon, the old discontinued Mac OS 9 compatibility API that doesn't support 64 bit.

It really is a shame. I probably wouldn't have spent the time porting it over to OpenGL if I had known mono's winforms was so incomplete.
dpJudas

Postby esselfortium » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:41 pm

That's unfortunate. I'll stick with an old GZDB version for now, then...
esselfortium

Postby boris » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:01 pm

StalkerBlade wrote:If you change the texture of the floor or ceiling after the arch is set, it makes the middle section rise to an odd height, sometimes to a really high value.

I don't know why that would happen. Never hear anyone report it before.

StalkerBlade wrote:I also found that if you draw a connecting sector to a sector with an arch, it makes the connecting sector do this:

That's normal behavior. Newly drawn sectors inherit the properties of an existing sector nearby, and that includes the slope. You can work around that by making the slope after drawing the surrounding sectors.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby StalkerBlade » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 pm

I messed around to see what makes it do this and it looks like when a texture is changed, the middle sector reverts back to the height it had before an arch was applied to it. But, it only does this when there isn't a line in the center when forming the arch.

In these screenshots I made the sector 128 tall, gave it an arch with a height offset of 64 and then changed the ceiling texture:

I did the same thing here, but with a line in the center:

Not sure why it does that, but I guess I know how to avoid any problems with it from now on.

boris wrote:That's normal behavior. Newly drawn sectors inherit the properties of an existing sector nearby, and that includes the slope. You can work around that by making the slope after drawing the surrounding sectors.

Ah, I see. Now it makes sense.
StalkerBlade

Postby Jaska » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm

I was away from mapping since 8.10, so I changed nothing.. Updated the editor and when opening a map get these error messages:

Code: Select allExpand view
***********SYSTEM INFO***********
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
GZDB: R3626
Platform: x64

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
Saman avaimen sisältävä kohde on jo lisätty.
   kohteessa System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   kohteessa System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.ZDoom.DecalInfo.ParseDecalGroup(DecalDefsParser parser) tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\ZDoom\DecalInfo.cs:rivillä 203
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.ZDoom.DecalDefsParser.Parse(TextResourceData data, Boolean clearerrors) tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\ZDoom\DecalDefsParser.cs:rivillä 118
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.DataManager.LoadDecalDefs() tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\Data\DataManager.cs:rivillä 2842
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.DataManager.Load(DataLocationList configlist, DataLocationList maplist) tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\Data\DataManager.cs:rivillä 444
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.DataManager.Load(DataLocationList configlist, DataLocationList maplist, DataLocation maplocation) tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\Data\DataManager.cs:rivillä 314
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.MapManager.InitializeOpenMap(String filepathname, MapOptions options) tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\General\MapManager.cs:rivillä 428
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.OpenMapFileWithOptions(String filename, MapOptions options) tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\General\General.cs:rivillä 1323
   kohteessa CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.OpenMapFile(String filename, MapOptions options) tiedostossa X:\Source\Core\General\General.cs:rivillä 1299
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Also on error log:
"mscorlib: Saman avaimen sisältävä kohde on jo lisätty."
some kind of translation:
"An item providing the same key has already been added."
Jaska

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation