Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby BucketHoodie » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Is there a way to take textures/texture packs you have as resources for your game config(s) and import the textures you use into your wad? I think it would be a LOT more helpful, especially for big texture packs such as OTEX, which have hundreds, if not thousands of textures, making it easier to make a kind of streamlined set of textures for your maps and also saves TONS of space.
BucketHoodie

Discord: BucketHoodie#2467

Postby Deon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:50 pm

@BucketHoodie: I dont know of any automated method, I do it manually.

I am back with my trouble with sprite offset... It looks like there's a bug in SLADE 3 which made me lose almost two hours trying to figure out.

Apprently unless SLAD3 marks an item with a star (*) which means Modified, pressing ctrl-S saves nothing. So even if you change offsets and the program asks you if you want to save changes, and you click yes... It saves nothing. You need to fake-rename a file so it's tagged with a star, and the problem is resolved!
Deon

Postby axredneck » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:54 am

> So even if you change offsets and the program asks you if you want to save changes, and you click yes... It saves nothing.

Did you try "Save all" button?
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Deon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:20 am

Yep, it still doesn't save anything unless you tag the file with * via one of file actions (copy/rename). Just tested. Marissa in SLADE3 thread has confirmed it.
Deon

Postby ramon.dexter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:02 am

What about some proper GUI for the 3D floors? I was using the 3D floor plugin in gzdoombuilder. Tried using it with UDB, but its not loaded, saying the plugin is incompatible. Well, I have no problem making the 3D floor the old manual way. But I got used to the plugin, since it totally eases creation of 3D floors.
So, are there any plans of either incorporating the plugin into UDB, or making standalone UDB 3D floor GUI?

Sorry if this question was already asked. I was away for like 2 years and missed lots of news.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Postby boris » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 am

It is included in UDB.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Deon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:18 am

@Ramon, look for an icon with three floors stacked on the left. Right click a sector. Voila, you can create a 3d floor. You can do it with multiple floors selected as well.

Deon

Postby Deon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:25 am

Dear UDB masters, I come for your wisdom.

I've made the beginning of my first map, and before I go crazy into details and spend another few nights without sleeping, I would like your advice on the methods and techniques I use.
Please be honest if something looks terrible or if I make a famous mistake, I need this feedback not to rollback everything if it's noticed too late.

I've already put some soul and time into it, but I plan to eventually make a big and playable map, but right now I am focusing on my skills to create details.

Out of two houses, only the small one is furnished. The second one is only partially. I am using 3d floors and portals to make doors/windows and multi store traversal.

Screenshots to make you interested to help me if you have time:

The WAD is attached. It uses vanilla DOOM2 assets. The map name is "DDM01" (I assume you know how to do it, but just in case, you type "map DDM01" in the console to load it).
DDM01.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deon

Postby Kappes Buur » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:40 am

I had a look at your map and two things stuck out.

1. The 3D control sector area
That would be the green area, inside of which all the 3d control sectors are created. Moving and dragging out is done with the right mouse button

3D control sectors are created automatically inside the green CSA.
  • Control sectors for straight forward 3D sectors can be moved, but it is best to leave them where they were created.
  • Control sectors for sloped 3D sectors must stay in place.
  • The size/shape of these control sectors should not be altered.

2. The playable game area
While the editing area is is 65k x 65k, one should consider to use only a game area of max. 32k x 32k, approx like this

and keep that area close to the center.

3. Placing stuff close to the edge
Never place anything that close to the extreme editing edge.

Although GZDoom uses floating point values for accuracy, the consequences would be some sort of unforeseen glitches.

[edit]
I moved your 3D control sectors away from the edge and into a CSA away from the other control sectors

which worked out okay.

The other thing is the 3D sloped sectors, which could also be done with the Slope Modes, for example
https://www.kappes.drdteam.org/3D/3D-01/3D-01.htm
or even better Visual Sloping Mode
https://www.kappes.drdteam.org/BASIC%20 ... almode.htm
Kappes Buur

Postby Deon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Thank you for the detailed feedback!
So basically, the main thing is positioning, right?

I had to do some 3d floors manually instead of using 3d floor plugin, because some of them have to be UNDER, and some have to be TO THE SIDE depending on the direction of the slope. And I don't think you can shape the "green area" as an L to accomodate that, right?

P.S. Hold on, looking at your link it looks like the 3dfloor modifies sloping offsets to save the pain of manual alignment... I wish I knew it sooner, I will try it!
Deon

Postby Deon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:21 pm

So, I was stuck with the visual editing mode... Apparently I am dum dum and I cannot find where I control the "unit" of scrolling to raise/lower the slopes. At the moment any attempt to scroll mouse while selecting an edge in Visual slope mode makes the floor jump extremely high. Could you help me out where to find the setting by how much do I raise/lower the edge, and is there a "manual entry" mode?

P.S. When I try to follow the original links, the images are gone but 3dfloor CSA (area) has a hole in it, which supposedly help with sloped floors. My CSA is square, can I cut a hole in it?
Deon

Postby Deon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:01 pm

And here I have run into another little problem, ZIP is attached.

Afer figuring out how to use doors and understanding they will NOT work since my house is built from 3d floors (the ceiling is like 1000 units above), I decided to use "stairs build down" to lower the doors.

Let me introduce my church:

You are supposed to enter on the right, and as you do the door closes behind you.
Now the problem is:
1) Using "stairs build down" on the door surface makes no sound as it moves down.
2) Using "stairs build up" on a floor line makes no sound as it moves up again.

3) Using the same "stairs build down" on a wall texture inside of the church makes a typical "switch" sound.
3a) The switch doesnt seem to change the texture though.

So in total, I would like to discover:
- how to make stair building process create a sound of moving objects, like it usually works in Doom, and how to select which sound (or even a basic one), and why does the switch on a wall makes a sound while a switch on the stair doesnt.
- how does one go about changing switch texture once it's "activated" (I suspect what it might be, does it change frames from SW1 to SW2 and back? I am not 100% sure but it may be the case).

I appreciate your time if you can help me, thank you.

Map:
DDM01.zip

P.S. After some extra tests I seem to have discovered that:

- Both switch texture and sound change if I use a default switch which is coded as SW1.../SW2... and probably has some extra code, so DOES IT COME FROM TEXTURE?
- If so, is it possible to even make a sound for stairs moving or is it all hardcoded in WAD somehow?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deon

Postby SanyaWaffles » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:45 am

You'll need to change the switch sound using ANIMDEFS.

I believe stairs can be changed using Sound Sequences. SNDSEQ and SNDINFO will help you.
SanyaWaffles
Wouldn't be an epic gamer if I didn't commit a few war crimes.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Deon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:02 am

Aha, so to be precise, is it something that can be done from UDB itself, or it should be coded externally? I am failing to find a tutorial unfortunately (I am using UDMF format, the link to SNDSEQ says that I can set it as a property of a sector, but I cannot find an option yet). I suspect it's a SLADE stuff, not UDB, so I am in a wrong topic.
Deon

Postby SanyaWaffles » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 pm

You typically use SLADE 3 to edit Doom resources. UDB is strictly for map editing. It can't edit SNDSEQ or ANIMDEFS at all (and most people prefer it that way).

SNDSEQ can be edited with a text editor, you don't need specifically SLADE 3 with that, though it is capable of doing so.

To assign Sound Sequences to sectors, use UDMF formats and check this:

This will populate with entries from within SNDSEQ. SNDSEQ lumps (files) are cumulative if I remember correctly, as it seems the internal gzdoom.pk3 ones are loaded as well as my projects. This one has None, so it will use whatever special it defaults to - however, you can set it to whatever.

SNDSEQ are still a topic even I falter on, but there should be plenty of examples.

ANIMDEFS works the same way and is also cumulative.
SanyaWaffles
Wouldn't be an epic gamer if I didn't commit a few war crimes.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation