Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Deon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Wow, that 3d floor mode is amazing.

Thanks to you, all the houses in Tristram now have double-sided roofs!

Before I had a trouble: I've made too many furniture objects in those houses using 3d floors, and I couldn't imagine going through all the sectors' properties manually, assigning new tags and then making a sloped 3dsector for the roof... With this mode it's just a couple of clicks, and done! You saved me so much time...
Deon

Postby Deon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 pm

I have run into an issue I did not expect:

I am struggling with floor portals (type 57).
I am following tutorials like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUlul4KIZrg

However the floor portals do not seem to work at all.

Here's an example of what I am doing:
ZZZ1.wad

I seem to follow the tutorial to the letter, but the portals on the floor simply don't happen.
The line portals work perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deon

Postby Deon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:49 pm

I will not delete my message because it can be useful to someone else. But basically I missed the fact that it's not enough to setup the portal via lines for the floor transitions, the rooms must be PHYSICALLY stacked (one above another). In my case they were on the same level, that's why it didn't work.
Deon

Postby Deon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 am

Here's my question about some advanced stuff. I want to make my own banners for my map, and I've discovered +WALLSPRITE which does what I want, without rotating the image.

However, there seems to be misalignment between what I see in the "Q" visual mode and what I see in the game.

Here's the sprite in the game:

And while it's aligned in the game, this is how I have to set it up in the visual mode:

The image is 64x64 and this is the code:
Code: Select allExpand view
Actor Sign1 10102 {
  //$Title Sign 1
  //$Category Signs

Height 64
  Radius 64
  Mass 1

+NOBLOCKMAP
  +NOGRAVITY
  +NOINTERACTION
  +WALLSPRITE

States {
    Spawn:
      SIGN A -1
      Stop
  }
}

Could you suggest what am I doing wrong? Aligning each wall sprite in game instead of visual mode will make map creation really slow.
Deon

Postby CBM » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:45 am

Deon wrote:I have run into an issue I did not expect:

I am struggling with floor portals (type 57).
I am following tutorials like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUlul4KIZrg

However the floor portals do not seem to work at all.

Here's an example of what I am doing:
ZZZ1.wad

I seem to follow the tutorial to the letter, but the portals on the floor simply don't happen.
The line portals work perfectly.

floor portals are hard... by keep trying .... they do work
CBM
Imp Slayer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby CBM » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:53 am

Deon wrote:
Kappes Buur wrote:
Deon wrote:.....
Oh god. All this time, all these three nights of no sleep and making control sectors, I was a single click away...

I wish I knew about it from the start. But thank you SO MUCH, you saved me from a lot of pain in the future.
Well, at least now I know how control sectors work, so I guess it will help me in future troubleshooting if something goes wrong. We live to learn :D.

Same here.. I soo need to learn how to use this :)
CBM
Imp Slayer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby boris » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:34 am

Deon wrote:Could you suggest what am I doing wrong? Aligning each wall sprite in game instead of visual mode will make map creation really slow.

You're probably using a PNG for that sprite, right? There's a bug where PNG sprites without an offset are centered instead of using (0, 0) like GZDoom does. It'll be fixed in the next release.

While it'll be displayed the same between UDB and GZDoom with that fix, I'd still recommend to set a proper offset for that sprite. In your case you could set the offset to (32, 32). You can do that in SLADE.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Deon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:02 am

Do I need to load PNG to WAD first? I am not sure where Slade saves the offsets. Does it somehow "hack it into" PNG format itself, or does it put it in a separate descriptor file of sort?
Thank you so much for your help.
Deon

Postby boris » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:09 am

Deon wrote:Do I need to load PNG to WAD first? I am not sure where Slade saves the offsets. Does it somehow "hack it into" PNG format itself, or does it put it in a separate descriptor file of sort?

The offset is stored in the PNG, it's just a standard property of the format. You don't have to put the PNG into a WAD, you can just open your directory in (recent versions of) SLADE and modify the offset just as it it was a native Doom graphic. Of course you could also use some image editing program that supports changing the offset.
boris

Postby SuaveSteve » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:59 am

Kappes Buur wrote: Or you could have a look at my tutorials.

Wow. Thanks so much for this!

Instead of updating the in-editor help file, why don't we move to a wiki, migrate the .chm file contents over and get rid of it? The wiki can have all these tutorials and docs. It's one less thing for devs to worry about :)
SuaveSteve

Postby dpJudas » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:19 am

The main showstopper for that is mostly finding the volunteer willing to move over the .chm content .html files to a newer system.
dpJudas

Postby Deon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:15 am

boris wrote:
Deon wrote:Do I need to load PNG to WAD first? I am not sure where Slade saves the offsets. Does it somehow "hack it into" PNG format itself, or does it put it in a separate descriptor file of sort?

The offset is stored in the PNG, it's just a standard property of the format. You don't have to put the PNG into a WAD, you can just open your directory in (recent versions of) SLADE and modify the offset just as it it was a native Doom graphic. Of course you could also use some image editing program that supports changing the offset.

That probably explains this problem :D
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=70186&p=1168781#p1168781

I will go ahead and test it.

The amout of work this software can do is truely astounishing.
Maintaining a wiki sounds fun, I know my thing around virtualization/dockers and some wiki engines like xWiki, so if the tool developers ever decide to build a team, I will be glad to help/Patreon in donations for server maintenance.

P.S. I just had to come back to say THANK YOU.
With all the tips I've got here I've made this in 1 hour:

Which is definitely better than this (ignore the missing textures) which I've done in a few HOURS before :D

I guess the best idea right now is to play with shapes and make some prefabs instead of embarking on a "BIG WAD PROJECT" like I initially wanted, just to train the hand and get better at this.
Deon

Postby NGX » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi.
Not really a bug report, but a suggestion that whenever in UDB, you open the properties of something (right-click) -- if you press TAB, it'd be convenient if it scrolls the tabs, however if you left-click inside a tab then the TAB button scrolls the options there within, as per now.
NGX

Postby boris » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:46 pm

You can use Ctrl+Tab /and Ctrl+Shift+Tab) to cycle through the tabs (that's a Windows thing).
boris

Postby NGX » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Oh yes, thanks I didn't know this:) Yep, Windows Lucky Number 7..
NGX

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation