Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Cethy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:48 am

Cethy wrote:Is there a way to add custom code snippets to the script editor?

I found it, in the UDB folder Snippets -> acs. Add the snippet in a text file is all you need to do.
Cethy

Postby Enjay » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:21 pm

A couple of questions if I may:

Is it possible to increase (or decrease I guess) the render distance in visual mode as a user option? I've had a look, but I can't see anything obvious. Unless a map is very complex, or I have ton of resources loaded, my computer runs in visual mode at 60fps almost all the time. So it would be nice to be able to extend the limit of when the far side of a big room/area fades to black.

Is it possible to search for more than one texture at a time? For example, if I wanted to search for SFLR6_1, SFLR6_4, SFLR7_1, SFLR7_4 in a map to see if any of them were used on any floor or ceiling, could I do it in a single search, or would I have to do four searches?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby boris » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Enjay wrote:Is it possible to increase (or decrease I guess) the render distance in visual mode as a user option? I've had a look, but I can't see anything obvious.

Then you didn't look very thoroughly ;) Preferences -> Interface -> Visual Modes -> View distance

Enjay wrote:Is it possible to search for more than one texture at a time? For example, if I wanted to search for SFLR6_1, SFLR6_4, SFLR7_1, SFLR7_4 in a map to see if any of them were used on any floor or ceiling, could I do it in a single search, or would I have to do four searches?

All you can do it use wildcars ase the tooltip of "find what" describes.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Enjay » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:38 pm

And a potential bug report - or possibly just me setting things up wrong.

I have an IPK3 that contains a TEXTURES lump. As well as the project's own textures, this lump defines several of the Doom textures (simply to make it easy to load a map intended for Doom into the project). As such, the TEXTURES lump defines STEP1 and STEP2 as walltextures. The IPK3 also has a flats folder with flats called STEP1 and STEP2 in it (again, for Doom compatibility).

This works just fine in game, but UDB shows the wall texture on floors when it should be showing the flat (it does this in 2D mode and visual mode).

In game shot - the STEP1 FLAT is is on the floor (correct behaviour):

UDB shots - the STEP1 walltexture is on the floor (incorrect behaviour):

My TEXTURES STEP1 definition:
Code: Select allExpand view
walltexture "STEP1", 32, 16
{
   Patch "STEP05", 0, 8
   Patch "STEP05", 0, 5
   Patch "STEP04", 0, 0
}

(the patches are stored in a PATCHES folder in the IPK3.)

This looks to me like UDB is getting things wrong, but I also wanted to check that it wasn't my error.

STEP1 and STEP2 work with the normal DOOM2 IWAD so it might be something to do with the specific handling of an IPK3 or maybe a TEXTURES lump instead of a TEXTURE1 lump?

If it is a bug, I'll raise a report on Github if it's needed.
Enjay

Postby Enjay » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:41 pm

boris wrote:Then you didn't look very thoroughly ;) Preferences -> Interface -> Visual Modes -> View distance

That'll be it. :oops:
[edit: right there in the first tab too. Image ]
Thankyou.

boris wrote:All you can do it use wildcars ase the tooltip of "find what" describes.

OK, I can probably do most of what I want to do with wildcards. Again thanks. :)
Enjay

Postby SanyaWaffles » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:20 pm

UDB's performance on my machine has been progressively getting worse when moving around a map - even a simple box map (say, for a titlemap) performance jumps around alot. This was a problem even before the migration to the new renderer and to UDB. I've mentioned it before but nothing ever came of it.

I've tried a clean install several times, nothing works.

I'm wondering if it could be the fact I'm using high res sprites that scale down by a factor of 0.12.

It's even doing it with a project that has far less sprites within, so maybe that's not even the issue but it's the only thing that I'm using that's different.

Is there any reason this would be the case? I don't see why, they're not in MBs in size per file, modern computers should be able to handle them fine.

I'm gonna try just using stock Doom2.WAD and report back, but I dunno why this would be a problem with performance.

Update: Performance seems to be slightly better with just Doom2.WAD, but without some sort of way to benchmark it's hard to say. Is there a way to get reliable benchmarks with this?
SanyaWaffles
Wouldn't be an epic gamer if I didn't commit a few war crimes.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm

You can get UDB to show a FPS counter in visual mode if that helps. It's the last check box in the Preferences Appearance tab.
Enjay

Postby SanyaWaffles » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:37 pm

Update: It seems updating my computer helped significantly. However now Ultimate Doom Builder and Discord aren't playing nicely together. It seems it keeps causing stuttering that ends up shutting off my mic during calls/streams when me and my friends are trying to work.

... it's either that or my computer is showing some worrying symptoms.

I will try that setting and see if the FPS counter helps figure out where the bottleneck is occuring.
SanyaWaffles

Postby Kappes Buur » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:09 am

SanyaWaffles wrote:I will try that setting and see if the FPS counter helps figure out where the bottleneck is occuring.

You might be better off by runing your map with GZDoom and typing in the console

stat rendertimes
stat renderstats

and moving through your map to see the values change. Look at All=

For example

A high value for All=, as in this case 69.560, indicates a bottleneck of some sort.

You might also type Kill Monsters, just to see if that number goes down.

Maybe someone could explain the meaning of what the individual entries represent. All I know is that a high number for All= is not a good thing.
Kappes Buur

Postby SanyaWaffles » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:14 am

GZDoom runs fine even as my computer stays on for long periods of time. UDB on the other hand does not.

Still, ,I will try that and see what comes up once the problem persists.
SanyaWaffles

Postby SuaveSteve » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:33 pm

Are the new modes going to be described in the help? Nothing appears in the status bar when you enable them so there needs to be an explanation.
SuaveSteve

Postby SanyaWaffles » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:04 pm

It seems restarting my computer helps performance, but after a while it becomes a slog. I dunno why that's a thing.
SanyaWaffles

Postby Deon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:46 am

Dear DOOM fans and developers.

At first, thank you so much for all the work, dedication and love put into this.

Now, I have a question. I've just entered the DOOM mapping field (after dozens of years playing DOOM), and I wanted to ask if there's a new/more user-friendly way of making multifloor structures than what I found in Youtube with a "service sector" which allows you to make multiple floors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rsLrwFlhME

That's a tutorial from 2011 and it still works, but now my map which consists only of 4-5 buildings in a village (I am trying to remake a Diablo 1 tristram into a starting map for my WAD) has SO MANY hidden sectors I keep losing track of them.
Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/yrnd88F.png

So I wanted to clarify if it's still the only way, or if there has been a more user friendly way introduced since 2011. Thank you!
Deon

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Deon wrote:.....
So I wanted to clarify if it's still the only way, or if there has been a more user friendly way introduced since 2011. Thank you!

There are the 3D Editing Mode and the Visual 3D Editing Mode by boris.
However, they are usable only in UDMF.

Check this thread for boris's videos and also at viewtopic.php?f=232&t=45195

Or you could have a look at my tutorials.
https://www.kappes.drdteam.org/Tutorials.htm
Kappes Buur

Postby Deon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:42 pm

Kappes Buur wrote:
Deon wrote:.....

There are the 3D Editing Mode and the Visual 3D Editing Mode by boris.
However, they are usable only in UDMF.

Check this thread for boris's videos and also at viewtopic.php?f=232&t=45195

Or you could have a look at my tutorials.
https://www.kappes.drdteam.org/Tutorials.htm

Oh god. All this time, all these three nights of no sleep and making control sectors, I was a single click away...

I wish I knew about it from the start. But thank you SO MUCH, you saved me from a lot of pain in the future.
Well, at least now I know how control sectors work, so I guess it will help me in future troubleshooting if something goes wrong. We live to learn :D.
Deon

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation