Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby boris » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:17 am

NaturalTvventy wrote:Okay, I'm dying here. I just got a very fancy new machine but both GZDoom Builder and Ultimate DOOM builder won't run on it. Do I have any hope?

That's weird, looks like it has a problem with the game config. What's the contents of the UDBuilder.log file? You can access it bei either going to Help -> Program Configuration Folder or pasting "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Doom Builder" (without the quotes) in the Explorers path box.

If you installed to to somewhere like "C:\Program Files" you could also try to put it some where else with less strict access permissions (although I can't imagine it'll help in this case).
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby NaturalTvventy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:31 am

boris wrote:If you installed to to somewhere like "C:\Program Files" you could also try to put it some where else with less strict access permissions (although I can't imagine it'll help in this case).

Woo-who! That did it. Thanks!!
NaturalTvventy

Postby Gustavo6046 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:18 pm

Running Ultimate Doom Builder on Linux with Wine and Mono has never ever worked for me. It always crashed at some point before loading/creating a new map successfully. Right now, I'm stuck with a FontFamily error right before map creation, in spite of having installed corefonts via Winetricks.

EDIT: Settings -> Interface -> Font was unset (blank) for whatever reason. It did not default (at least in the latest stable from link Installer, I don't know about master yet). Setting it to Arial fixes it.
Gustavo6046

Discord: Gustavo6046#9009

Postby Nero » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 am

Very nice, glad to see the old editor is still getting the paint freshened up, lol.

One feature request - I'm sure I'm not alone on this - please, oh dear please, remove or set the setting to false that makes the script window always be on top of everything else for fresh installs. Never fails, I forget this setting is enabled, I leave the script window maximized and go to something else and something gets stuck and I can't get the script window to minimize, forcing me to task manager my way out of it. Literally Window's multi-desktop thing saved me, task manager was under the script window! Otherwise it was a hit of the restart button. So please, turn this most awful of feature off. Does anybody actually use it?
Nero
Royal Boredom....Why can't I do this in Windows?

Postby boris » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:23 pm

You can disable that behavior in the script editor by going to View -> Always on top. If another window (like the thing editing dialog) is hidden behind the script edtior you can press the Esc key to close the other window.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Nero » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:06 pm

I think you misread my request - I'm asking that it be disabled already for new installs, which I just did.
Nero
Royal Boredom....Why can't I do this in Windows?

Postby SanyaWaffles » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Here's something that'd be useful: the ability to see decals in the map editor. Currently there's no way to show what decal is being placed in the map based on the index being passed.
SanyaWaffles
Wouldn't be an epic gamer if I didn't commit a few war crimes.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Kappes Buur » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 pm

A Spotlight Oddity

I was placing a couple of spotlights and then copy/pasted some more, rotated and moved some. Trying to play the map, this notification appeared.

Spoiler:

After clicking on OK the map opened in GZDoom 4.4.2

I deleted all spotlights, yet this oddity persists.

Spoiler:

Upon saving the map the same notification popped up.

Opening the map straight from Windows Explorer brings up no notification.
Therefore I believe it to be a misadventure with UDB.
It's a mystery to me.

[edit]
Loading the map into Slade3, I inspected the TEXTMAP.
As expected there is a thing 0 (the player) but there is also thing 1 (most likely the spotlight remnant). How it got there I do not know, since I deleted all spotlights. Anyways, I deleted thing1 and resaved the map. The oddity is gone.

But why UDB could not delete it, I do not know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kappes Buur

Postby Gustavo6046 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:10 pm

The Script Editor being always on top is a pretty weird default. If someone wants a window to be always on top, they would do that themselves. Please make that opt-in. It's not new either, let alone a Ultimate Doom Builder thing; it's been set like that since GZDoom Builder, and I mean pre-Bugfix days!

Most Linux desktop environments allow you to set any window to be always on top. If Windows had that too, this setting would be effectively obsolete.

On that, I can help with the Linux testing. It works with Wine and Mono, although, despite being a .NET application (rather than C++), Mono fails to run it properly, so the flimsy Wine layer is unfortunately needed. I don't know C#, either, as it is not my cup of tea, and probably shouldn't be anyway.

I'm sure you'll come up with something! If anything does come up, I can serve as an advisor. If I do, more complex questions may be forwarded to ##linux on IRC. Still pretty convenient, though, since it saves the trouble of me having to understand (read: misinterpret disastrously) some funky system headers myself! Better safe than sorry!

Cheers!
Gustavo6046

Postby axredneck » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:08 am

Gustavo6046 wrote:... It works with Wine ...

Does copy&paste work for you? For me it doesn't work, i already wrote about it above.
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Gustavo6046 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:03 pm

It crashes very easily. Viewing sector properties, moving a Thing around. Several of the crashes are unspecified errors within vertex-buffer-related native code.
And yeah, @axredneck, copy-pasting does not seem to work, though I think that's because Wine doesn't provide compatibility with the X11 clipboard facilities.

This would be so much better if it could work without requiring Wine. It's halfway there; you can already create a new map, and even the basic 3D preview works fine! (At least with a simple freehand-drawn sector, I didn't test the features thoroughly)

For now, however, I'd say Linux support is really bad. It's not so much having someone writing actively Linux code, it's mostly just avoiding Windows-specific APIs (like WinForms and DirectX). I mean, this is .NET, it's supposed to be cross-platform! Dammit Microsoft!
Gustavo6046

Postby fgsfds » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Is it possible to add support for new items from Strife VE? This one is supposed to be a blue chalice.

Screenshot_1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fgsfds

Postby dpJudas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Gustavo6046 wrote:This would be so much better if it could work without requiring Wine. It's halfway there; you can already create a new map, and even the basic 3D preview works fine! (At least with a simple freehand-drawn sector, I didn't test the features thoroughly)

For now, however, I'd say Linux support is really bad. It's not so much having someone writing actively Linux code, it's mostly just avoiding Windows-specific APIs (like WinForms and DirectX). I mean, this is .NET, it's supposed to be cross-platform! Dammit Microsoft!

I took the mono version for a spin and noticed the following showstopper issues:

1) The open dialog doesn't properly list the maps in the listview.
2) SendMessage emulation/replacement is missing. The background loader threads needs this for communicating with the main UI thread. The visual glitch here is texture loading appears to be delayed.
3) RawMouse emulation/replacement is missing. The 3D view won't move around with the mouse due to this.
4) Scintilla isn't available. This affects script editors.
5) Theme sizing issues - they aren't fatal but they make the program look bad.

Of those things I could fix #2 and #3 if I invested some time in it. The rest (and similar C# side things) I won't fix because I really think an actual Linux developer needs to do this. There's only so much work I'm willing to spend on a platform that isn't what I use myself.
dpJudas

Postby Talon1024 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:48 am

#1 is an issue with Mono's WinForms, but it seems to have been fixed for me since I received the last update for Mono. I'm on Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.
I was thinking of launching an external text editor to solve #4, like how the official Git client launches an external text editor (Vim, Nano, or your $EDITOR), and updating (and possibly compiling) the text content once the editor closes. I made a simple demo of this here.
I don't know about #5 and I really don't care that much, unless it makes UDB unusable on Linux.

On the other hand, the menu bars are receiving key presses in the 3D view, which is a huge issue because it interferes with the camera movement in the 3D view.
Talon1024

Github ID: Talon1024
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby dpJudas » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Talon1024 wrote:#1 is an issue with Mono's WinForms, but it seems to have been fixed for me since I received the last update for Mono. I'm on Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Hmm, maybe I applied a workaround prematurely for it if that is the case. I pushed a fix last night where it addresses the issue by changing the view type for the listview. The list isn't visually as good as on Windows with my workaround, but at least the dialog technically works.

On the other hand, the menu bars are receiving key presses in the 3D view, which is a huge issue because it interferes with the camera movement in the 3D view.

Since my post yesterday I've fixed issues #1, #2, #3 and some more that I didn't list (the error output in particular). The menu bar focus issue is IMHO now the biggest show stopper. Unfortunately my testing seems to indicate some major bugs here in mono itself. I fear the only solution here (aside from volunteering to fix mono winforms) is to write our own menubar and possibly also the toolbar strip controls. Luckily those don't really do anything that advanced so it should be doable when only supporting what UDB needs.
dpJudas

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation