Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby DOOMPiter » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:14 pm

Hmm, strange, it seems that i can't all that well use this because uh... Some of the windows are too big for my 900 height screen, and yep that's a problem alright. :cry: I don't even know how to setup a DOOR. cuz' i can't apply the changes to the linedef and i can't resize the window.
DOOMPiter

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby DOOMPiter » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:19 pm

DOOMPiter wrote:Hmm, strange, it seems that i can't all that well use this because uh... Some of the windows are too big for my 900 height screen, and yep that's a problem alright. :cry: I don't even know how to setup a DOOR. cuz' i can't apply the changes to the linedef and i can't resize the window.

BTW, i have an image to confirm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOOMPiter

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby boris » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:42 pm

The dialog is something like 740 pixels high. Can be more if you have scaling enabled in Windows, of course. You can still accept the dialog by pressing enter.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Gez » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 pm

740*1.25=925. There was a similar issue for SLADE, with the same cause, a DPI setting set by default at 125%.
Gez

Postby Jaska » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:25 am

Oh that archtool is great! If someone tries to find it, it's "Arch between slope handles" in the "controls".

Seems like all great editing modes/tools pops-out when I need them. Is this the synchronicity?
Jaska

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:39 am

Jaska wrote:Oh that archtool is great! If someone tries to find it, it's "Arch between slope handles" in the "controls

What exactly is that?
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Jaska » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:12 am

Tormentor667 wrote:
Jaska wrote:Oh that archtool is great! If someone tries to find it, it's "Arch between slope handles" in the "controls

What exactly is that?

I made four 32x32 sectors, lowered one, selected all ceilings.. Then switched to the "toggle visual slope picking", selected the most right and left slope handles and..

pressed key with that "Arch between slope handles" assigned on. Magic! :)

Found this out by reading those update messages. Those can be quite funny sometimes also.
Jaska

Postby boris » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:19 am

boris

Postby Enjay » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:13 am

Honestly, that looks amazing - and gets great results in an apparently very simple and easy to use way. When you start messing the with 3D floor in the first video :surprise:

My personal problem (and it is just me) is that I don't "get" formula slopes as much as I get the old-style line type 181 ones. Also (and possibly because of that), I tend to use them far less. So I'm probably going to find myself scratching my head and thinking "I know this can be done, but I can't remember how to do it" every time that I want to use the feature. Like I said, it's me, not the feature - but I guarantee that's what's going to happen. However, manually creating smooth arches and curves with the old slope types can be a real pain. This looks much, much better.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby boris » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:19 am

Well, that's the good thing about visual sloping. You don't have to understand the plane equation slopes (although it doesn't hurt, obviously, because it can help to avoid some pitfalls). There have been some issues in the past, like when you dragged a sloped sector or rotated it. But that's been fixed recently, the slopes now get updated when dragging and even rotating sectors (even works on sloped 3D floors!).

[edit] I'm not sure how familar you are with the works of Bridgeburner, but he's been using it extensively, and is using it to absolutely stunning effect.
boris

Postby Jaska » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:05 pm

I don't get why not using visual sloping. Old methods were so unintuitive. Maybe if you get used to something it's more difficult to change. As I sketch a lot, move and rotate stuff, earlier I had to go without slopes because those would have been screwed.
Jaska

Postby Enjay » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:00 pm

What I like about the old 181 slopes is that when I make a slope, I know that it will slope to that line and the floor on either side will flow smoothly across from one to the next. I know how the end product will look and I know how it will behave when I change the height of the floor.

For some reason, all of those seem less intuitive for me with the newer slopes. I've often created slopes that don't quite match with the next sector height, where changing the sector height has had (for me) unexpected and sometimes rather extreme results.

Also, I can F3 search for a line 181. I don't think that I can search for other slope types.

Oh, and the texture checker takes account of 181 slopes. It seems less reliable with other types.

I mean, I know I'm just doing to have to suck it up and get used to them because what can be done with them can be amazing.

I just need to get over it. :lol:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm

boris wrote:There are some videos of it in action:

Brilliant, how could I miss that? :) What is the hotkey to use it in slope mode?
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby boris » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:55 pm

There's no key bound by default, you have to bind it yourself (search for "arch" in the controls).
boris

Postby Tormentor667 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:55 am

Thanks a lot, got it :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation