Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder 2, Slade, WadSmoosh, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Gez » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Nope.

There's a user-side setting that makes dynamic lights clipped by 1-sided lines, and that's all. In any case, this is outside of the editor's bailiwick.
Gez

Postby axredneck » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:05 pm

VGA wrote:Is there a way to prevent the dynamic light from an item bleeding through a wall? Is there a special linedef that can block all lights or ... is there a way to set a specific item to not have any lighting or to scale its lighting down? (Without creating a new class or affecting other items of the same type.)

One-sided walls block light, two-sided ones don't. Alternatively you can place negative light as a shadow.
axredneck
excuse me for my bad English

Github ID: axredneck
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Is there a good reason why I got an error when using this as a state label in ZScript?

1BangDie:

:?:

I have an enemy set up so that when it dies it can release 1, 2 or 3 explosions, each with a different state lable (1BangDie: 2BangDie: 3BangDie:).

This "error" was enough to stop parsing of everything beyond and UDB threw up 500 DECORATE and ZScript errors. The specific error was that sprite names should be exactly 4 characters long and that there was an error on a line (line 62 specifically) and it quoted "1BangDie" as the error.

GZDoom played fine with the actor loaded (no errors reported) and it worked as expected.

I changed the labels to read BangDie1: (2 and 3) and the errors shifted on a few lines and then quoted

1BangBurn:

You've guessed it, the enemy has a burn death and it can also release 1, 2 or 3 explosions.

I renamed those states to BangBurn1: (2 and 3) and all the errors magically went away.

I changed absolutely nothing else about the enemy except that names of the state labels.

So, is there anything in particular I should know about that means UDB doesn't like state labels that begin with a digit?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby VGA » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Gez wrote:Nope.

There's a user-side setting that makes dynamic lights clipped by 1-sided lines, and that's all. In any case, this is outside of the editor's bailiwick.

Awww, that sucks. Why isn't there a UDMF field I can use to disable lighting or something?

There is a Render type option, too. But there is no useful for my purpose. Like "no-dyn-lighting"
VGA

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:56 am

Tormentor667 wrote:Crash when working on map geometry
For the INTERMAP in Blade of Agony we currently suffer a very strange issue. The INTERMAP crashes in UDB as soon as you draw or change geometry. I attached the crash log and the relevant map can be found here. We have no idea since when this is happening and also no idea what's causing this.

Map: https://github.com/Realm667/WolfenDoom/ ... TERMAP.wad
Report:
GZCrash.txt

I found out something new about this error, maybe it helps. After deleting the INTERMAP.DBS file, I was able to load the map and start editing, no crashes, no problems, everything works fine. As soon as I save the map, it continues working even though the new INTERMAP.DBS is generated and present. Next thing I tried is only closing the map, not closing UDB, opening it again with the INTERMAP.DBS settings. As soon as I move a vertice, the problem occurs again. Here is the error code:
Spoiler:

I also attached the corresponding .DBS file, maybe that helps solving the mystery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Gez » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:20 am

VGA wrote:Awww, that sucks. Why isn't there a UDMF field I can use to disable lighting or something?

We could imagine a GZDoom feature request for a UDMF flag that would disable dynamic light on a surface, but it wouldn't prevent the dynamic light from affecting other things (like nearby sprites) and it would also affect dynamic lights on the "front" side, not just those from behind the wall.

It's a question of performances. Clipping lights is computationally expensive. That's why it's a user setting, and why it's limited. Assuming modern civilization survives, in 20 years when all graphic cards are RTX, that will no longer be a problem, but for now we already have enough people complaining that GZDoom doesn't run on their 1993-vintage 386DX40 running on MS-DOS 6.2.
Gez

Postby Ozymandias81 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:37 am

About the issue on INTERMAP, we have fiddle with it long time ago and still the problem has not been solved, just workarounded somehow... Like Torm did, I also did my brainstorming upon it, leaving this here which could be of use for devs possibly.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=54957&p=1108798&hilit=INTERMAP#p1108816
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:07 am

I'm trying to set up some "things filters" in UDB and I wondered, is there a quick way to set up a filter which is basically "show me all things except monsters" (and perhaps vice versa too)?
Enjay

Postby boris » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:34 am

Filter by category "Monsters" and check the "Invert filter" checkbox.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Enjay » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 am

Thank you. That would normally work (though I didn't realise that's how it was done) but I should have been more specific with my question. This is for a custom game configuration where there are lots of enemies and so I have split them up into several categories in the things menu (e.g. Enemies: Demons, Enemies: Animals, Enemies: Humans etc). So, is it possible to add multiple thing categories to a filter or to somehow create a custom field that will allow them to be filtered?

And, only tangentially related...

I think that this might be a bug/poorly implemented feature

Glowing dogs!

Actually, many of my enemies glow in visual mode - not all of them, but many of them. If I exclude my DOOMDEFS lump from resources, they don't glow.

The thing is, I don't see why they should. e.g. in the above screenshot you can see two enemies; one of which uses repurposed doom sprites (the Doberman) and the other one used sprites with a new name.

Lights are added to neither of the frames from the screenshot in my DOOMDEFS lump. However, most of my enemies have "Disintegrate" deaths (where, Astrostein-like, they go white and fade away while glowing white) and "Burn" deaths where... well, they catch fire :grr:. Both of these deaths have lights attached.

Extract from my DOOMDEFS
Code: Select allExpand view
flickerlight2 VAPOR
{
    color 0.8 0.8 0.8
    size 84
    secondarySize 120
    interval 0.1
    offset 0 40 0
    attenuate 1
}

// General Flame
flickerlight2 GENFLAME1
{
    color 1.0 0.9 0.0
    size 72
    secondarySize 84
    interval 0.1
    offset 0 32 0
    attenuate 1
}

object Alsation  //Alsation
{
    frame ALSAP { light VAPOR }
    frame ALSAQ { light VAPOR }
    frame ALSAR { light VAPOR }
    frame ALSAS { light VAPOR }
    frame ALSAT { light VAPOR }

frame DBR2A { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2B { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2C { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2D { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2E { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2F { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2G { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2H { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2I { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2J { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR2K { light GENFLAME1 }
}

object Doberman  //Dog
{
    frame SARGP { light VAPOR }
    frame SARGQ { light VAPOR }
    frame SARGR { light VAPOR }
    frame SARGS { light VAPOR }
    frame SARGT { light VAPOR }
    frame SARGU { light VAPOR }
    frame SARGV { light VAPOR }

frame DBR1A { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1B { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1C { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1D { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1E { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1F { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1G { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1H { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1I { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1J { light GENFLAME1 }
    frame DBR1K { light GENFLAME1 }
}

Judging by the colour of the light in the editor, it's the GENFLAME1 light that is being applied to the dogs. If I comment out the whole entry for the Doberman object, it stops glowing in the editor. If I only comment out the entries that allocate the GENFLAME1 light to the Dobeman, it does not seem to replace the replace the glow with the white VAPOR light. So, this too stops the dog glowing.

The question is, is this a bug?

The attached file should demonstrate the problem (just an adapted version of the files with stuff from the bigger mod commented out). Load the map and the PK3 resourcein GZDoom UDMF and you should see this in visual mode.

Enjay

Postby Enjay » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 am

[edit] Reported the following on github - issue #393 https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoom ... issues/393 [/edit]

And, spawned by the above, I have noticed that I sometimes get an error when editing things in 3D mode.

e.g. with the above example map loaded, I highlighted the dog, right-clicked it to open the thing editor and changed it to something else (in this case the skull shishkabob - but I don't think that's important). This caused the error:

***********SYSTEM INFO***********
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
GZDB: R3373
Platform: x64

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.GetLitColorForThing(VisualThing t)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.RenderSinglePass(Dictionary`2 geopass, Dictionary`2 thingspass, List`1 lights)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.FinishGeometry()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.OnRedrawDisplay()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.RedrawDisplay()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.VisualModes.VisualMode.OnProcess(Int64 deltatime)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.OnProcess(Int64 deltatime)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.processor_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I pressed "Contiune" and things seemed to work fine, but repeating the above reliably causes the error for me.

Full GZCrash.txt

***********SYSTEM INFO***********
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
GZDB: R3373
Platform: x64

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
Builder: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.GetLitColorForThing(VisualThing t)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.RenderSinglePass(Dictionary`2 geopass, Dictionary`2 thingspass, List`1 lights)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.FinishGeometry()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.OnRedrawDisplay()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.RedrawDisplay()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.VisualModes.VisualMode.OnProcess(Int64 deltatime)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.OnProcess(Int64 deltatime)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.processor_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

***********ACTIONS LOG***********
ERROR: Builder: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Creating undo snapshot "Edit thing", Source Null, Group 0, Tag 0, Ticket ID 2...
Binding action methods for ThingEditFormUDMF object...
Editing mode change complete.
Starting exclusive mouse input mode...
Binding action methods for BaseVisualMode object...
Previous stable mode is VerticesMode, previous classic mode is VerticesMode
Editing mode changes from VerticesMode to BaseVisualMode
Unbinding action methods for VerticesMode object...
Preparing to change editing mode to BaseVisualMode...
Map loading done
Editing mode change complete.
Binding action methods for VerticesMode object...
Previous stable mode is NULL, previous classic mode is NULL
Editing mode changes from NULL to VerticesMode
Preparing to change editing mode to VerticesMode...
Binding action methods for MapManager object...
Loaded 428 textures, 147 flats, 0 hires textures, 0 colormaps, 214 sprites, 1 decorate things, 0 model/voxel definitions, 1 dynamic light definitions, 0 glowing flat definitions, 0 skybox definitions, 86 sound environment definitions
Starting background resource loading...
Opening WAD resource "C:\Users\enjay\Desktop\Doggy.wad"
Opening PK3 resource "C:\Users\enjay\Desktop\Doggy.pk3"
Opening PK3 resource "C:\Doom\gzdoom\gzdoom.pk3"
Opening WAD resource "C:\Doom\IWADS\DOOM2.WAD"
Loading data resources...
Reading map data from file...
Initializing map format interface UniversalMapSetIO...
Found 6 different map lump lists in the 45 registered game configurations
Copying map lumps to temporary file...
Opening source file: C:\Users\enjay\Desktop\Doggy.wad
Creating temporary file: C:\Users\enjay\AppData\Local\Temp\d82mj1y5\az15a4qb.tmp
Loading game configuration...
Initializing graphics device...
Opening map "MAP01" with configuration "GZDoom_DoomUDMF.cfg"
Binding action methods for Launcher object...
Binding action methods for CopyPasteManager object...
Binding action methods for UndoManager object...
Binding action methods for GridSetup object...
Temporary directory:  C:\Users\enjay\AppData\Local\Temp\d82mj1y5
Binding action methods for OpenMapOptionsForm object...
Startup done
Creating types manager...
Loading color settings...
Loading script configurations...
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zennode_fast" from "ZenNode.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zennode_normal" from "ZenNode.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zdbsp_udmf_compressed_huge" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zdbsp_udmf_compressed" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zdbsp_compressed" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zdbsp_udmf_fast" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zdbsp_fast" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zdbsp_udmf_normal" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "zdbsp_normal" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "glbsp_fast" from "glBSP.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "glbsp_normal" from "glBSP.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "deepbsp_normal" from "deepbsp.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "bspw32_fast" from "bsp-w32.cfg"
Registered nodebuilder configuration "bspw32_normal" from "bsp-w32.cfg"
Loading nodebuilder configurations...
Registered compiler configuration "zdoom_acc" from "acc.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "zdaemon_acc" from "acc.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "zandronum_acc" from "acc.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "zennode" from "ZenNode.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "zdbsp" from "zdbsp.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "glbsp" from "glBSP.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "deepbsp" from "deepbsp.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "bspw32" from "bsp-w32.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "hexen_acc" from "acc.cfg"
Registered compiler configuration "bcc" from "bcc.cfg"
Loading compiler configurations...
Applying configuration settings...
Binding action methods for EditingManager object...
Creating editing modes manager...
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Strife (UDMF)" from "ZDoom_StrifeUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Strife (Hexen format)" from "ZDoom_StrifeHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Strife (Doom format)" from "ZDoom_StrifeDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Hexen (UDMF)" from "ZDoom_HexenUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Hexen (Hexen format)" from "ZDoom_HexenHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Heretic (UDMF)" from "ZDoom_HereticUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Heretic (Hexen format)" from "ZDoom_HereticHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Heretic (Doom format)" from "ZDoom_HereticDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Doom 2 (UDMF)" from "ZDoom_DoomUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Doom 2 (Hexen format)" from "ZDoom_DoomHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDoom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" from "ZDoom_DoomDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "ZDaemon: Doom 2 (Hexen format)" from "ZDaemon_DoomHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Strife (UDMF)" from "Zandronum_StrifeUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Strife (Hexen format)" from "Zandronum_StrifeHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Strife (Doom format)" from "Zandronum_StrifeDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Hexen (UDMF)" from "Zandronum_HexenUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Hexen (Hexen format)" from "Zandronum_HexenHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Heretic (UDMF)" from "Zandronum_HereticUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Heretic (Hexen format)" from "Zandronum_HereticHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Heretic (Doom format)" from "Zandronum_HereticDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Doom 2 (UDMF)" from "Zandronum_DoomUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Doom 2 (Hexen format)" from "Zandronum_DoomHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Zandronum: Doom 2 (Doom format)" from "Zandronum_DoomDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Strife: Strife (Doom format)" from "Strife_StrifeDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Hexen: Hexen (Hexen format)" from "Hexen_HexenHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Heretic: Heretic (Doom format)" from "Heretic_HereticDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Strife (UDMF)" from "GZDoom_StrifeUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Strife (Hexen format)" from "GZDoom_StrifeHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Strife (Doom format)" from "GZDoom_StrifeDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Hexen (UDMF)" from "GZDoom_HexenUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Hexen (Hexen format)" from "GZDoom_HexenHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Heretic (UDMF)" from "GZDoom_HereticUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Heretic (Hexen format)" from "GZDoom_HereticHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Heretic (Doom format)" from "GZDoom_HereticDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Doom 2 (UDMF)" from "GZDoom_DoomUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Doom 2 (Hexen format)" from "GZDoom_DoomHexen.cfg"
Registered game configuration "GZDoom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" from "GZDoom_DoomDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Eternity: Doom 2 (UDMF)" from "Eternity_DoomUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Eternity: Doom 2 (Doom format)" from "Eternity_Doom2Doom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Doom: Doom (Doom format)" from "Doom_DoomDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Doom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" from "Doom_Doom2Doom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Boom: Doom (Doom format)" from "Boom_DoomDoom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Boom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" from "Boom_Doom2Doom.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Aspects: UDMF format" from "Aspects_DoomUDMF.cfg"
Registered game configuration "Aspects: ZDoom Hexen format" from "Aspects_DoomHexen.cfg"
Loading game configurations...
Loading plugin "VisplaneExplorer" from "VisplaneExplorer.dll"...
Binding action methods for BuilderPlug object...
Loading plugin "ThreeDFloorMode" from "ThreeDFloorMode.dll"...
Loading plugin "TagRange" from "TagRange.dll"...
Loading plugin "TagExplorer" from "TagExplorer.dll"...
Loading plugin "StairSectorBuilder" from "StairSectorBuilder.dll"...
Loading plugin "SoundPropagationMode" from "SoundPropagationMode.dll"...
Loading plugin "NodesViewer" from "NodesViewer.dll"...
Loading plugin "CommentsPanel" from "CommentsPanel.dll"...
Loading plugin "ColorPicker" from "ColorPicker.dll"...
Loading plugin "BuilderEffects" from "BuilderEffects.dll"...
Loading plugin "AutomapMode" from "AutomapMode.dll"...
Loading plugin "BuilderModes" from "BuilderModes.dll"...
Loading plugins...
Showing main interface window...
Binding action methods for MainForm object...
Loading main interface window...
Binding static action methods for class General...
Starting action manager...
Loading program configuration...
Command-line arguments:  ""
Local settings path:     "C:\Users\enjay\AppData\Local\Doom Builder"
Temporary path:          "C:\Users\enjay\AppData\Local\Temp\"
Application path:        "C:\Doom\UDB"
Ultimate Doom Builder R3373 (x64, a4466ba) startup
Enjay

Postby boris » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:04 am

Tormentor667 wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:Crash when working on map geometry
For the INTERMAP in Blade of Agony we currently suffer a very strange issue. The INTERMAP crashes in UDB as soon as you draw or change geometry. I attached the crash log and the relevant map can be found here. We have no idea since when this is happening and also no idea what's causing this.

Map: https://github.com/Realm667/WolfenDoom/ ... TERMAP.wad
Report:
GZCrash.txt

I found out something new about this error, maybe it helps. After deleting the INTERMAP.DBS file, I was able to load the map and start editing, no crashes, no problems, everything works fine. As soon as I save the map, it continues working even though the new INTERMAP.DBS is generated and present. Next thing I tried is only closing the map, not closing UDB, opening it again with the INTERMAP.DBS settings. As soon as I move a vertice, the problem occurs again. Here is the error code:
Spoiler:

I also attached the corresponding .DBS file, maybe that helps solving the mystery.

The issue is the user_static UDMF field. For some of your actors it's defined as bool, for some as int. UDB tries to write it as bool, so it crashes for those where it's int.
boris

Postby boris » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:10 am

Enjay wrote:I think that this might be a bug/poorly implemented feature

Glowing dogs!

Lighting in UDB is actor-based and not frame-based. So it just takes to first light of any frame and uses that. Not sure how easy that's to change.
boris

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:45 pm

boris wrote:The issue is the user_static UDMF field. For some of your actors it's defined as bool, for some as int. UDB tries to write it as bool, so it crashes for those where it's int.

Awesome, now we at least have a place to look for - thanks for the investigation. Now I wonder: Is it something the mod has set up the wrong way or is it UDB?
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby boris » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:
boris wrote:The issue is the user_static UDMF field. For some of your actors it's defined as bool, for some as int. UDB tries to write it as bool, so it crashes for those where it's int.

Awesome, now we at least have a place to look for - thanks for the investigation. Now I wonder: Is it something the mod has set up the wrong way or is it UDB?

It's UDB's fault. It can interpret the int/float/string/bool values as different things, like color (where it shows the int as a RGB hex value). To do that it saves a type for the field name and then tries to force that type onto the field. That obviously doesn't work when the base types are different. In your case it tries to cast the int to bool, and that's not possible in C#, and it throws the exception.

This info is stored in the .dbs file - if you have a look at your .dbs file, you'll see a section called "fieldtypes", that's where it stores the types it thinks are correct. That's why it works if you delete the .dbs file, but the data gets stored in there again.
boris

PreviousNext

Return to Creation, Conversion, and Editing