Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder 2, Slade, WadSmoosh, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:25 pm

You did ask where the texturesets are kept and how to update them.

But on to pk3 files:
No map editor can open pk3 pwads directly.
You have to unzip at least the maps folder. Following that you can open the map you want to edit and include the pk3 file as a resource. Then all the resources, textures, actors, etc are available to you to include into the map.

Of course, that does not mean that, when you save the map, all resources are automagically saved into your pwad. Only the names are saved. To include the resources used, that is still a manual operation done after the fact, most likely with Slade3.
Kappes Buur

Postby badatdoom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:33 pm

boris wrote:
Sounds like something's wrong with your .Net. UDB is for .Net 4.7.2, so you could try to install that (see first post), but I guess if you got 4.8 installed that won't work.

Kappes Buur wrote:
I always wondered about the validity of having to install that 'particular' version of .NET Framework...

boris and Kappes, thank you for the fast responses. I tried downloading .Net Framework 4.7.2 and my computer says I already have it, which is to be expected.
Kappes, you actually have a more recent version than I do (I'm sitting at 4.8.03752), unless you are using the developer package. It seems that the more recent
versions of .Net Framework overwrite the older versions, at least after 4.5. However, the newer versions are backwards compatible (supposedly).

I built this computer at Christmas, so I have always had 4.8+ and I have also let Windows Update do its thing. Like I said, GZDB-BF ran fine for me up until the last
two weeks, and Kappes, you are running a more recent version, so I think it is perfectly valid to have .Net Framework versions after 4.7.2. I have to assume I messed
something up inadvertently or something got corrupted.

Thank you both again.
badatdoom

Postby whirledtsar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Kappes Buur wrote:You did ask where the texturesets are kept and how to update them.

But on to pk3 files:
No map editor can open pk3 pwads directly.
You have to unzip at least the maps folder. Following that you can open the map you want to edit and include the pk3 file as a resource. Then all the resources, textures, actors, etc are available to you to include into the map.

Of course, that does not mean that, when you save the map, all resources are automagically saved into your pwad. Only the names are saved. To include the resources used, that is still a manual operation done after the fact, most likely with Slade3.

I know that you cant edit maps in pk3 files. Im doing exactly what you suggest (editing a wad file and loading the pk3 as a resource). The issue i'm trying to note is that the texturesets don't register textures from pk3's, even though said textures are visible/usable in the texture browser.
whirledtsar

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:18 pm

fluffyshambler wrote:... even though said textures are visible/usable in the texture browser.

Let me try again ....
Texturesets are kept in GZBuilder.cfg. The texturesets you see initially are autogenerated by the editor on first use of a mapping format. These textures are known because the names originate from the base Iwads, DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD.

When you later add a new texture pack, you may see additional textures in various categories because of the wildcard character. But beyond that, you can name your own texturesets and filters, but the textures have to be added manually.

The editor makes this relatively easy for you by providing an Edit Texture Set window through Game Configurations (default F6)

See images below:

Spoiler:

Unfortunately the textureset page is missing from the Reference Manual, but you can read this.
Kappes Buur

Postby whirledtsar » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:13 am

Dude, what I've been saying is that EVEN WHEN ADDED MANUALLY, textures from pk3's STILL DO NOT SHOW UP IN THE TEXTURESETS.

Sorry for the tone, but it has taken a long time to convey this issue.
whirledtsar

Postby Arctangent » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:34 am

something that always bothered me about gzdb is that the script editor supports a lot of different file formats, but aside from the default behavior and dialogue lumps for zdoom maps, you can only save the files externally for some reason, so there's really no reason to use it instead of just doing that stuff in slade. which is kinda odd, since being able to tweak mapinfo, sndseq, reverbs, and even some stuff in lockdefs, terrain, textures, and zscript while in the middle of mapping would be incredibly handy and most of the functionality is already there

d'ya think you could add the ability to save and load that kinda stuff within the current wad, if that hasn't already been added? i haven't gotten to updating to this yet, but that would be a huge gamechanger in sheer convenience
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby boris » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am

Arctangent wrote:d'ya think you could add the ability to save and load that kinda stuff within the current wad, if that hasn't already been added? i haven't gotten to updating to this yet, but that would be a huge gamechanger in sheer convenience

No. The script editor has been pruned to only edit DIALOGUE and SCRIPTS. UDB is a map editor, not a resource editor.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Agentbromsnor » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:57 pm

I think I found a reoccurring bug in Ultimate Doom Builder. It has to do with the alignment of textures (particularly custom ones). I've seen this bug in GZDoom Builder before, so I suspect this is a holdover from that.

As you can see in the first screenshot below, my texture alignment looks fine as long as I painstakingly go in and out of game.

Spoiler:

However, as you can see in the second screenshot from the editor, the texture alignment is obviously off.

Spoiler:

Again, I think it might have something to do with using custom textures; I use textures with a resolution of 512x512. Obviously it's not the end of the world, since like I said I can just go in and out of game to painstakingly match up the textures, but it is annoying enough that I thought I should report it. Hopefully it helps to improve things!
Agentbromsnor

Postby Jaska » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:34 am

Agentbromsnor wrote:I think I found a reoccurring bug in Ultimate Doom Builder. It has to do with the alignment of textures (particularly custom ones). I've seen this bug in GZDoom Builder before, so I suspect this is a holdover from that.
Again, I think it might have something to do with using custom textures; I use textures with a resolution of 512x512. Obviously it's not the end of the world, since like I said I can just go in and out of game to painstakingly match up the textures, but it is annoying enough that I thought I should report it. Hopefully it helps to improve things!

I think textures should have the size in power of 2. On those screenshots, textures size is 512x487. So 487 isn't power of 2. Why not 512x512? At least on Boom-compatible maps those texture sizes caused problems. Not sure about GZDoom.
Jaska

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:35 am

Feature Suggestion
Search and replace textures (or other apsects) through several wad files with map data.

Why? I would currently search and replace some textures through the complete Blade of Agony maps (around 30) and considering that I have to do that 30 times for 40 textures makes a total of 200 operations which would take me ages. Some feature like that would help alot.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Jaska » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:54 am

Tormentor667 wrote:Feature Suggestion
Search and replace textures (or other apsects) through several wad files with map data.

Why? I would currently search and replace some textures through the complete Blade of Agony maps (around 30) and considering that I have to do that 30 times for 40 textures makes a total of 200 operations which would take me ages. Some feature like that would help alot.

Doesn't Slade has that already?

Archive -> maintenance -> replace in maps
Jaska

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I have no idea but not for me, this doesn't work:
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Ozymandias81 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:23 pm

You need to edit each map separately, it works if you open said map, CTRL-F on TEXTMAP lump and then replace... After that save the lump, then save the map and do the same to others. Doesn't seem to work differently sadly, since your request would be cool and rapid to do these things.

I have another question instead: UDB doesn't seem to like recent builds of GZDoom since 4.4. r96, it produces 204 warnings on my usual Blade of Agony settings, but not with previous versions... Or is it related to some internal GZDoom changes?
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby boris » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:16 pm

That happens because the recently added helper message to the deprecated modifier. Fixed.
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Ozymandias81 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:14 pm

Thanks, I can confirm that with 3373 all is fine now :wub:
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

PreviousNext

Return to Creation, Conversion, and Editing