Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Post by Enjay »

boris wrote:Lighting in UDB is actor-based and not frame-based. So it just takes to first light of any frame and uses that. Not sure how easy that's to change.
Well, that would certainly explain what I am seeing. It'd be nice if it could be fixed, but I'd understand it being low priority.

I see that issue #393 is fixed though. Thank you. :)
boris

Post by boris »

I pushed a new version. This fixes the problem with the fake UDMF field types, but comes at a price: it now only allows bool, int, float and string types, all the fancy other interpretations are gone for the time being. If anybody actually used them step forward and complain.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks for fixing this :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think that I have found a problem with copying and pasting a certain type of sector arrangement. This example was shamelessly stolen from Null Face to Face.

The stairway with the player start in it is the original, the one to the East is the copy.

The copy was made be selecting all of the sectors in sector mode and pressing Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.

The stairs all have sloped ceilings as part of their sector properties. For some reason, copying and pasting them messed up the ceiling height offsets. They go from what they were originally set at (each stair has a different value) and they all get set to -95.

One of the originals:

and its copy:

If you load the attached map, you can see the problem in game. The stairs that the player starts at the bottom of are fine but if you go through the little tunnel and look at the other one, the ceilings are all messed up.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this?

It happens occasionally, and doesn't appear to cause any issues - and sooner or later it corrects itself too - but it's a bit weird. I had thought that it might be related to being in sectors with coloured lighting when I was in 3D mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, sometimes when I come back out of 3D mode, the colours in 2D mode are "subdued".

What it should look like:
Spoiler:
What it sometimes looks like:
Spoiler:
boris

Post by boris »

Enjay wrote:I think that I have found a problem with copying and pasting a certain type of sector arrangement. This example was shamelessly stolen from Null Face to Face.
It happens because all the sectors have the same ceiling height, and UDB uses that to determine the new offset. It's stupid, becuase once you use the slope equation the heights become irrelevant, but that's how it is right now.
redd_rambler12

Post by redd_rambler12 »

I'm on Mint and I can't open the program at all. I get this error at start-up. Could someone please help me?
Attachments
oie_WW8ebrCrQ3zD.png
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Offtopic but I wonder what Enjay is up to... *cough*Aspects*cough*
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nothing exciting. Basically using some "social distancing time" to teach myself more about UDB. That's how I discovered the problem with copy/pasting in someone else's map - I knew the map was using UDMF features that I'm not familiar with, so I was just messing around using the map as a guide.

I didn't even know slopes could be set directly in the sector properties until I started poking around in the map. I can see it being very useful but there is still a place for the other/older slope methods too. Sometimes the older methods are easier to use and get better/quicker results. Sometimes. Line type 181 hasn't outlived its usefulness to me yet. :)

The screenshots with the Incas was just me messing with some Burghead stuff. I still need to get the final fix out.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Is there any chance of having an option to allow UDB to mirror GZDoom's (buggy?) texel-based scaling and positioning handling for high-res textures that do not have the WorldPanning flag set? Right now, in-game alignment of these types of textures does not match what is show in-editor (which assumes world panning, I think?).

Reference this thread.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Is there a way to set UDB to only have the original Doom difficulty settings when editing a UDMF map? It could be via a preference or via an edited game specific config. Either would do. I've had a poke around but couldn't find anything.

When I'm only targetting the Doom base game, I don't need to have 8 different skill settings - and I keep accidentally selecting the wrong combinations.
boris

Post by boris »

AFADoomer wrote:Is there any chance of having an option to allow UDB to mirror GZDoom's (buggy?) texel-based scaling and positioning handling for high-res textures that do not have the WorldPanning flag set? Right now, in-game alignment of these types of textures does not match what is show in-editor (which assumes world panning, I think?).

Reference this thread.
The issue is that the texture gets replaced by a high res texture. The scaling without worldpanning is such a clusterfuck.
Enjay wrote:Is there a way to set UDB to only have the original Doom difficulty settings when editing a UDMF map? It could be via a preference or via an edited game specific config. Either would do. I've had a poke around but couldn't find anything.

When I'm only targetting the Doom base game, I don't need to have 8 different skill settings - and I keep accidentally selecting the wrong combinations.
Yes, you'll have to create a new config for that.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

boris wrote:Yes, you'll have to create a new config for that.
Good to know. I actually already have a few game/mod specific configs. Thing is, I can't figure out where to put the entries that would affect this (or what they would be). I found some stuff in the standard configs, but it didn't seem to be quite what I was looking for. Any chance you (or anyone else) could point me in the right direction? Even tell me which original file to look in to get something to copy/paste/edit from?

Thanks.
Jaska
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Jaska »

So is visual sloping only possible with this version:
viewtopic.php?f=232&t=66745&start=180#p1139165

Or at least I can't enable it on my current version of the builder which is "3.0.0.3379 (8115d12)".
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

The video shows the map construction done with the test3 version, which has been taken down from the download page. Since then r3379 had been uploaded, so I would think that the latest version incorporates all the visual sloping features.

Why it does not work for you I do not know, but
  • have you enabled the 3DFloormode?
  • are you mapping for UDMF?
Spoiler:

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”