ZETH-win32: ZETH is still alive

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Borg

Re: ZETH-win32: ZETH is still alive

Post by Borg »

Apprentice:
It should work fine. Keep in mind that ZETH is very old editor based on DEU, from ancient DOS times.
If you want to switch game type, you need to edit zeth.ini file:
# Game To Edit.
Game = DOOM2

Change to DOOM and it should work just fine. I just checked and it works.

Also, be sure to correctly edit Doom2Pwads and DoomPwads. I added improvement here.
You can have as many paths here but first PATH is used as working directory.
So all writes of wads/maps goes here.. Here is example how I have it setup in my workstation:
Doom2Pwads = U:\PROGRAM FILES\ZETH\WADS
Doom2Pwads = U:\GRY\zdoom
Doom2Pwads = U:\GRY\zandoom
Doom2Pwads = U:\GRY\zandoom\old
Doom2Pwads = U:\GRY\zandoom\wads

So when I write a map, it will goes to 'U:\PROGRAM FILES\ZETH\WADS' directory.
Also, when you are writing a map, you can specify directory: newproject\map01.wad
And it will go to subdirectory of newproject under path above.
But when I read wad, all those paths will be searched. First match reads wad.
You can specify subdirs on reading too. All paths will be scanned until math found.

And oh, dont use old Deu style map editing like: e <mapnum> or e <episode> <level>
Im 100% sure it will not work. I added support for arbitrary map names, so you need to specify
fullmap name: 'e map01' or 'e e1m1' or 'e zdwars1'
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Hey, welcome back. Now that you're around would be possible to save regular Doom format maps just like in DEU? At least they can be read so i don't know if that code is disabled or readding that back would be a lot of work.
Borg

Post by Borg »

Well, Its probably too much effort to do that. They can be loaded because they go thro wadconverter (wadconv.c)
with I even improved a little bit adding some newer BOOM extensions (very hacky ;).
ZETH internally works on Hexen map format.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Thanks, i had to ask. :)
Borg

Post by Borg »

Wooops.. I fixed my webserver. Now CGIT is accessible again.
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

Borg wrote:Apprentice:
It should work fine. Keep in mind that ZETH is very old editor based on DEU, from ancient DOS times.
I know that it's from ancient DOS times but compared with the other Zeth version from 15 years ago, which is also a DOS program running in a window, this version doesn't work as well as the other 15yr old version does and that one runs pretty well on my Windows 7 rig, even though it also runs in a DOS box (not THAT DOSbox!) . . .
Borg wrote: And oh, dont use old Deu style map editing like: e <mapnum> or e <episode> <level>
Im 100% sure it will not work. I added support for arbitrary map names, so you need to specify
fullmap name: 'e map01' or 'e e1m1' or 'e zdwars1'
Why did you remove the old DEU style ?? Seems to me that if you base yourself on DEU, it should have the same functionalities as DEU, as in "e 1 1" and other things where DEU is known for. Why would you try mimicking a program instead of creating a new one ??
Borg

Post by Borg »

Its simple, ZDOOM support arbitrary MAP names from long time. It was time
to add such support to ZETH as well. I try to keep the style, but also improve and
modernize things that are really behind.

Can you tell me what doesnt work well in my ZETH compared to old version?
I really removed a lot of bugs that made zeth misbehave or even crash sometimes.
Just peek at git log. I also added a bit of features to support newer ZDOOM versions.

Yeah, maybe its time to call it ZETH 5.0 or sth, because indeed few things was changed
a bit.. Maybe I should add them to CHANGES.TXT.

Few thing right away (more to come).
All modes, toggle between selection/no selection of objects: SPACE
Linedef mode, make ARC from linedef: R
Linedef mode, find again: A
All modes: Copy/Paste object props: F4 (Linedefs and Sectors currently)
Sector mode: Floor/Ceiling height editing: always immediate (non-relative).

Also, could you please open MAP29 from nova2.wad on your old ZETH?
I wonder what will happen..
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

Well, it's been a while and I have to say, this version is growing on me :)
Though, I have to say that the old Winzeth 4.17 version decided to crap out on me with an out of memory message or crashes completely (I'm currently not at home, so I don't have access to the screenshot I took) :(

The thing that I do notice that is absent compared with Deu/Deth/Zeth, is the use of the arrow keys. When you have a list from 1 to F, I can use the keys to go from top to bottom and back again. However, I cannot go from 1 to F by using the uparrow key OR from F to 1 by using the downarrow key. This happens in more of those menu's and wasn't the case in DEU, Deth and other deratives that I have used over the years. If this could be added, it would be great !!

I haven't tried Nova2.wad yet with the older Winzeth but knowing that it has some problems with certain source ports, I do think it will crap out but I will try that when I'm home again (currently having the Doom2BFG.wad file which Winzeth 4.17 doesn't like for certain reason).

What I also noticed, is that the moment I save my map with this version and try loading it with Winzeth or older, the vertexes and linedefs are there but not the sidedefs (before crapping out). Probably due to the format used here, which I have no idea which one. Ultimate Doombuilder speaks about Doom with Hexen format !?!? :?
It may be something, it may be nothing. I'm not that familiar with the various map formats . . .

Hopefully more features will be added, such as a fullscreen and/or scalable window option since that would really be something.
Borg

Post by Borg »

Yeah, I remember rewriting menu stuff in ZETH because it have some problems, like
not correctly handling separators in menus and I probably changed that overflow behavior as well...
Not sure why its an issue here since you can also use PageUp/PageDn and Home/End on menus.

As for opening WAD written in my ZETH, by chance they are big levels? I mean, do they have
more than 32767 vertexes or linedefs or sidedefs? (F10 -> 1: Display Number of Objects)
You are using ZETH with large maps support. This means, it can load big maps with up to 65534 objects.
If this is not the case, then its very strange, because it should work correctly.

Yes, ZETH uses DOOM maps in HEXEN format.. Never mind you are loading DOOM1 or DOOM2.
If it loads orginal DOOM MAP, it will be converted to HEXEN format on fly.

As for fullscreen and scalable windows, its what Graf Zahl said, forget it. I use GRX lib to emulate borland graphics
library (DOS times). There is no such stuff like windows in DOS.. If someone want to invest his time into ZETH
to modernize it on Windows, go ahead.. I will accept patches into new 'win32' branch.
It think its not worth the effort really. Userbase of ZETH is very thin.
I wonder who except me, you and drfrag uses it anyway...

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”