[Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Kappes Buur wrote:I have uploaded a step by step tutorial to rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1764562/heightmap.zip.html

It just might be possible, that someone finds it useful.
sorry dude, but it's not working for me.
my maps keep going FUBAR.
i did all the steps word for word and i still get messed up maps that i can't play. :(
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

meh, ne1 have a heightmap of Halo's Blood Gulch (or Coagulation) w/ the bases as flat areas?
Mancubus II

Post by Mancubus II »

Nmn wrote:If someone here is thinking about making a huge flat with shadows painted on it it won't work to good. You'll need a huge flat (1000x1000 at least for a decent terrain) and will mostly come out messed. I suggest lowering the lighting of the sector where the terrain is to give it more depth.
If you attempt to give that thing a 1000x1000 image your map will be a huge mess that's totally unuseable. The idea is to use as few as possible while still producing decent results. As has been explained here, really small images are the way to go. I suppose if you gave it a really high scale number for the pixel width scale then using a 1000x1000 image might be ok but still totally unnecessary.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

1000x1000 image might be ok
Not hardly. With something like that, you can kiss the CPU cache goodbye. It'll thrash like a mofo. 256x256x8 is about the max you can expect with good performance (and even then, with a decent CPU; eg. not Celerons).
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Bouncy wrote:sorry dude, but it's not working for me.
my maps keep going FUBAR.
i did all the steps word for word and i still get messed up maps that i can't play. :(
I am sorry to read that. :(

Could you upload the graphics program created bitmap here?
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sun May 15, 2005 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Mancubus II wrote: If you attempt to give that thing a 1000x1000 image your map will be a huge mess that's totally unuseable. The idea is to use as few as possible while still producing decent results. As has been explained here, really small images are the way to go. I suppose if you gave it a really high scale number for the pixel width scale then using a 1000x1000 image might be ok but still totally unnecessary.
So the thing is to split the "large" flat with shadows paint on into smaller images and texturize smaller parts of the terrain? This may be perhaps a good idea.
Chris wrote:Not hardly. With something like that, you can kiss the CPU cache goodbye. It'll thrash like a mofo. 256x256x8 is about the max you can expect with good performance (and even then, with a decent CPU; eg. not Celerons).
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. A flat in Doom can't be bigger than 256x256?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. A flat in Doom can't be bigger than 256x256?
In ZDoom it can be. But the larger you go, the more problems with CPU cache you'll have. IIRC, the last tests I remember hearing Randy do, he said 256x256 flats worked great on AMDs, but sucked on Pentiums (I think it was P2 or P3). It might've improved somewhat since, but still, the larger the flat the more data that's going to be shoved into the cache. You want it to fit, so the smaller it is, the better.
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

Man, this thing is *extremely* cool -:) One problem that I'm having 'tho. Note that although I'm not a DOOM level creator/editor, but am not new to the DOOM scene (to say the least LOL!).

I created a level using a 65x65 grayscale BMP format image, used ZDBSP to build the nodes, an decided to try to retexture the resulting level using ZETH. Every level that I created with the utility caused ZETH to crash to a miserable death.

I then tried smaller BMPs for the original image with the utility (thinking that tmaybe there were too many sectors in the resulting maps, causing ZETH to crash), but had the same results.

Any ideas?

@Grubber, Any chance for an "export" feature, to export any DOOM level to a grayscale height map :wink: <LOL>?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Try using multiples of 16, IE 64x64, 32x32, 16x16, etc... I dunno, but it might be that.

:twisted:
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

WHOA! I'm lost. Also, does anyone have Halo's Blood Gulch as a heightmap?
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

Lexus Alyus wrote:Try using multiples of 16, IE 64x64, 32x32, 16x16, etc... I dunno, but it might be that.

Be sure to add one pixel, unless you want 15², 31², and 63² terrains...

Also, I just slapped in a 33x33 heightmap, and it worked fine...
Phoenix
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Phoenix »

whaddaya mean, 64x64 worked fine for me.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

RFNagel wrote:@Grubber, Any chance for an "export" feature, to export any DOOM level to a grayscale height map ;) <LOL>?
Heh, this might be interesting, but no (for now).
Shinjanji wrote:
Lexus Alyus wrote:Try using multiples of 16, IE 64x64, 32x32, 16x16, etc... I dunno, but it might be that.

Be sure to add one pixel, unless you want 15², 31², and 63² terrains...

Also, I just slapped in a 33x33 heightmap, and it worked fine...
No, it don't depends on texture size. I guess it's ZETH's problem.
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

Grubber wrote:Heh, this might be interesting, but no (for now).
'Twould be quite cool, thanks for the answer 'tho -:)

Grubber wrote:---snip---
No, it don't depends on texture size. I guess it's ZETH's problem.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm thinking it's something to do with ZETH, as I can load any of the resulting WADs into ZDOOM with no problems at all (short of my old ancient slow PCs, whereas the framerate is quite miserable <LOL>).
JonD

nice

Post by JonD »

neat, reminds me of terragen for quake back in the days, or cube's built-in noise-mapping stuff. Good work!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”