[Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

randy wrote:All it means is that the engine is capable of using the heightmap directly and rendering it in a more efficient manner. But I think something like that really needs a new map format and editor support to be more than just a big hassle to use.
How about abusing standard floor textures?
(I'm somewhat against it, it would just be another hack. And in fact, IMO a new map format would really be helpful anyway.)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hirogen2 wrote:
randy wrote:All it means is that the engine is capable of using the heightmap directly and rendering it in a more efficient manner. But I think something like that really needs a new map format and editor support to be more than just a big hassle to use.
How about abusing standard floor textures?
And what would you use to texture the terrain then?
(I'm somewhat against it, it would just be another hack. And in fact, IMO a new map format would really be helpful anyway.)
THat it is and that's why it shouldn't be done.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

If someone here is thinking about making a huge flat with shadows painted on it it won't work to good. You'll need a huge flat (1000x1000 at least for a decent terrain) and will mostly come out messed. I suggest lowering the lighting of the sector where the terrain is to give it more depth.

EDIT: Grubber is my hero too :D
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

There could be an algorithm to produce squares instead of triangles - reduces the sector count and subsector stuff
Triangles are the most efficient way of building the terrain. The more sides you add to the sectors, the harder it becomes to line everything up.
Mivalekan

Post by Mivalekan »

Besides, the terrain woud look weird if it were done in squares and not triangles. :|
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Now lets see if I can make a program that seed-generates heightmaps (If I can get the .bmp structure :roll:)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

killingblair wrote: (If I can get the .bmp structure :roll:)

Look in the Windows headers for BITMAPFILEHEADER and BITMAPINFOHEADER. You need one of each plus a palette consisting of RGBQUADs.
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Thanks Graf :D
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

Randy, this is just a hazy idea, but:

Can we have overlay height maps with current sector definitions, i mean, we design normal doom sectors, but asign height maps to be added to the height of those sector, one for the floor and another for the ceiling.

Do you know that Plasma-Fractals can be used as height maps to make very convincing real-life hills and terrain. and its formula is real easy.

You just defing the heght of the four corner of the rectangle the the rest is automatically filled, and if you change the random seed, then the terrain would change shape instantly.

There are three DOS based programs that I have created some times ago, which are included in this zip file, and all these programs are based on Plasma-Fractal logic.

Those would show the power of these haight maps.

Wouldn't you think about them, a bit?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Can we have overlay height maps with current sector definitions, i mean, we design normal doom sectors, but asign height maps to be added to the height of those sector, one for the floor and another for the ceiling.
It might be cool if ZDoom can do what this program does internally. Not really a terrain engine, but somehow link a heightmap graphic with a map's sector, and ZDoom will generate the slopes and rebuild the nodes automatically when the level's loaded. This could even help remove some of the limitations imposed on the wad's map format as ZDoom would generate it directly to an expanded internal format.
LorD_BaZ

Post by LorD_BaZ »

Hehe, Zdoom now has terrain capabilities. Very cool.

Lexus Alyus said
anyone thinking of making a Battle Zone mod? (I really like that game, good idea... I'm sure that with some complex scripts you could do something like it).
I would marry anyone that tried that. Seriously. That would freaking ROCK.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Chris wrote:Triangles are the most efficient way of building the terrain. The more sides you add to the sectors, the harder it becomes to line everything up.
Yes, the math will be harder, but still reduces the sector count. A good compromise would be to check if two or more adjacent triangles are on a plane[1], and merge them to one sloped sector.

[1] - If you use a one-colored (one-height) heightmap, this is f.e. the case, but also by random chance.

Sometimes, non-triangle effect could even be helpful.
Last edited by Hirogen2 on Mon May 16, 2005 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viciarg

Post by Viciarg »

Damn...Quake lives :shock:

amazing work
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

I'm actually rewriting the code (the present one is complete mess) and it will contain optinalization code too.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I have uploaded a step by step tutorial to rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1839315/heightmap.zip.html

It just might be possible, that someone finds it useful.
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Wed May 18, 2005 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”