[Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, thanks. A bit of playing around with that and resizing etc and things are much clearer now.

Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I've just been mucking around with stuff and it's cool, but I'd like to see the kind of graphic that can make a good, usable terrain. Most of the graphics I have tried have created a very lumpy terrain that is hard to walk over.
Take your favorite image editor and decrease the contrast. That'll cause less color variation which'll create smaller hills.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks, that helps too. It seems very sensitive to even quite slight differences in "colour" at least using the default values.

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You can set the height variation on the command line if the default doesn't suit you.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I feel likea snail for not knowing about this until now.

Grubber already proved some awesome scripting skillz, and then he comes and blows us away with this. Now I must try.
Vader

Post by Vader »

The only problem with this is, that iyou doesn´t seem to be able,
to transfer a heightmap into a nother map properly (via prefabs in doombuilder).
The heights get totally screwed, though everything is 1:1 copied from the heightsmap :?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

The best solution wolud be to generate your terrain and then work on that map and buoldfrom there. If you plan it in advance and placew some flat parts then you can place buildings and landmarks iun the apropriate places without screwing with the geomitry. This makes sense in theory... but I have yet to find out if it works in practice :D. Would be cool foer creating army type mods with missions and stuff... anyone thinking of making a Battle Zone mod? :D (I really like that game, good idea... I'm sure that with some complex scripts you could do something like it).

Grubber, your program has spawned far more possibilities, I must congratulate you (again :D).

:twisted:
Vader

Post by Vader »

I got it to work!
I just forgot to copy the z-angle of the slope things :roll:
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

This is awesome. I wonder how much work it would be to add a real terrain engine to the game.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

randy wrote:This is awesome. I wonder how much work it would be to add a real terrain engine to the game.
YOU TEASE!
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

Well, it would be pretty cool
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Belial wrote:HOLY CRAP THIS IS BEAUTIFUL
except that a 16-bit renderer is missing, for that fog effect.
randy wrote:This is awesome. I wonder how much work it would be to add a real terrain engine to the game.
What's a in-engine terrain engine, i.e. how does it look like? Put one thing in that sector and - got your terrain?
UT has its terrain generator in Unrealed, same goes for Q2 (I guess), so what is it?

I'd support sourcecode. Especially since I can't run that exe thing without emluation under <another OS>. There could be an algorithm to produce squares instead of triangles - reduces the sector count and subsector stuff (and detail, but that depends on what you want). Even though visplane overflows are long gone, large ssector areas can bog down.

Maybe we can get Kurt Kesler back in the boat now, thanks to this Terrain Gen?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Hirogen2 wrote:What's a in-engine terrain engine, i.e. how does it look like?
All it means is that the engine is capable of using the heightmap directly and rendering it in a more efficient manner. But I think something like that really needs a new map format and editor support to be more than just a big hassle to use.
kgsws

Post by kgsws »

can anybody send me some BMPs?
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Sniper joe wrote:Can I kill you and eat your brains?
No.
Risen wrote:Is it capable of doing ceilings?
Not yet ;).

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”