[Util] ZDoom Terrain Generator

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Chris wrote:Since there's probably a limit on the number of differently-sloped sectors (because they need unique TIDs?)
Wha? Do they? I don't think so... Unless you're talking about using slope things. Does this program use slope things?

Suffice to say, I have not been near my beautiful machine for the better part of a week and cannot test it. Same thing happened when .90 came out. And now this.

Stupid kharma...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, it does need slope things.

But it doesn't use tids or tags.
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Hey, two birds with one stone. I can generate some nice terrain quickly and easily and with a bit of reverse engineering I might just finally learn how to use slope things! ;)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

PlzDieKthx wrote:when you run it with without any command line argument it just flashes on the screen and is gone
If a program is stated as being a "command-line" tool, this is normal. As somebody else here said, they are not meant to be double-clicked from within Windows; command-line tools are meant to be run from a command line :)

If you do it often, you could create a shortcut to the program and use the properties dialog on the shortcut to put "cmd /k " before the actual command itself in the "Target" field. For example, turn "c:\my doom wads\aprogram.exe" into "cmd /k c:\my doom wads\aprogram.exe".

This will cause a command-prompt to open and (due to the "/k") STAY open after running the command. You can then run the command again by typing its name in the command prompt window. The command to exit a command prompt is "exit" (oddly enough :) ).

If the above looks like gibberish, then sorry, you're stuffed until somebody makes a GUI version of the tool, which may not happen as GUI programs are much more complicated to write than console (i.e., command-line) programs :(
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Heh, the curse of being a GUI-handicapped user...
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Hey, thx to all :D.

It took me 3 days to make it (I got stuck with the maths :mono:). I will (probably) release the source code when it'll be fully finished. So - suggest features ;). (I've got some in my mind... like GUI and lightmap generator.)

I've also uploaded fixed version which doesn't generate test.txt file.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I'd like to see a GUI because I hate command line shit :(
Mancubus II

Post by Mancubus II »

Tormentor667 wrote:I'd like to see a GUI because I hate command line shit :(
Aww boohoo you have to actually type something out. Isn't zdoom command line anyway?!

This thing is neat but the practicality at this point seems small. I think I may need to just play with the height some or something, unless my heightmaps just aren't as kosher.

what's sector height 0? 128 128 128 gray, or black?
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Oh my God.

PRAISE THE PROGRAMMER!
PRAISE THE PROGRAMMER!
PRAISE THE PROGRAMMER!
:thumb:

I'm so happy to have You as my Bro man! Your power is godlike.

I suggest Codeimp adds this as a part of Doom Builder along with the next release of DB.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Maybe randy could look at implementing something that uses this same technique but doesn't use up the slope things?

:twisted:
pink

Post by pink »

My GOD that's insane! The last thing I ever pictured in Doom was realistic terrain! *bows to Gubber* We have another god of programming...
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nmn wrote:Oh my God.
I suggest Codeimp adds this as a part of Doom Builder along with the next release of DB.
*ditto*
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

ditto again

PRAISE THE PROGRAMMER! I LOVE THIS STUFF!
Da_maniaC

Post by Da_maniaC »

OMG! This is terribly sweet! :D

Its like the best thing ever since sliced bread. :D
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Uploaded new version with help here.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”