GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ZZYZX

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by ZZYZX »

DECORATE parser was written by CodeImp, from what I know. And all that clusterf**k is his heritage.
And I kind of can understand that actually, as, like Major Cooke pointed out, no one expected that actors would be defined with anything else than DECORATE.
And no one would expect that someone is going to write 20 more parsers based on the DECORATE one either (GZDB currently parses almost all text formats, except TEXTURES and maybe something else).

Anyway: enabled $-comments (//$Category, etc, all that are currently supported for DECORATE).
Not sure where these were supported in DECORATE, but in ZScript they will only be picked up if you put them in Default{} block.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I hope MaxEd will merge all this back into mainline when he comes back. In the mean time, thanks for fixing the ZScript stuff, ZZYZX.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

ZZYZX wrote: And I kind of can understand that actually, as, like Major Cooke pointed out, no one expected that actors would be defined with anything else than DECORATE.
Well, where's the problem here, actually?
Oh, just such obscure formats like DDF, EDF, or Dehacked?
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

These are not ZDoom though :)
And all other formats historically needed a game configuration update in order for new actors to be displayed in DB/DB2/GZDB.
Here's another feature to consider: obcure actor definition formats :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Oh, just such obscure formats like DDF, EDF, or Dehacked?
DDF and EDF are anything but obscure.

Considering they are the actor definitions of choice for Eternity and 3DGE - both of which are actively developed.

And Dehacked is supported by most source ports - despite its lack of flexibility, because it was conceived of so early on.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sarcasm failure. :P
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Sometimes it's hard to tell, with you. :P
NGX

Post by NGX »

Nash wrote:I hope MaxEd will merge all this back into mainline when he comes back. In the mean time, thanks for fixing the ZScript stuff, ZZYZX.
Is MaxEd around? :)

I can't say if it's my hardware or GZDoomBuilder, but I have a "geographically large map", and its performance in GZDB has been dropping since I've built further on the map and added things like dynamic lights.

I have a large outdoor area and there's a large lava lake in the middle, this lake sector is trimmed on the sides with a couple ~1.5 map unit trims (supposedly to look like the edge of the lake is on flames) and some other details. Now when I try to make another new sector inside it, upon completing to draw the sector, the surrounding sector will unexplainably change its floor texture, and probably have other unintended changes too.

I think it might be a "bug" in GZDB where the program misunderstands its surroundings when it's relating to a "complex sector".
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

@NGX: if you want this fixed, send the map. Or isolated example in which this bug reproduces (with unexplainable texture change, for example).
Graf Zahl wrote:Sarcasm failure. :P
In my case (when I was responding to you that is) more like my usual "conscious local maximalism"; one specific case would be "X is bad because I don't like it", although I don't talk like that :)
In this case, "X is obscure because I don't know it". It's not true sarcasm, but still not like I really mean that, and not like I really care if it's obscure — for me it's enough that I haven't ever used anything other than ZScript/DECORATE, and you can always take that as a joke.

...unless you are Eruanna :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

For SLADE I just added the ability to include your own config file in the resource -- SLADECFG. It can make do until the gazillion necessary parsers (ZMAPINFO, ZSCRIPT, DDF, EDF, DED...) are written.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

NGX wrote:Now when I try to make another new sector inside it, upon completing to draw the sector, the surrounding sector will unexplainably change its floor texture, and probably have other unintended changes too.

I think it might be a "bug" in GZDB where the program misunderstands its surroundings when it's relating to a "complex sector".
Try drawing the sector the opposite direction, so the sides of the linedefs are facing the other way.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Cherepoc (author of this, also apparently a C# web developer) today asked me to add him to the collaborators so that he can participate a bit later.
In the light of the above, moved all issues to GitHub so that I don't have to update the thread all the time.

Just posting this so that people know that GZDB is not entirely dead as there are more new people who want to contribute :)
Last edited by ZZYZX on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The leg acy of Doom Builder shall live on.
NGX

Post by NGX »

Nevander wrote:
NGX wrote:Now when I try to make another new sector inside it, upon completing to draw the sector, the surrounding sector will unexplainably change its floor texture, and probably have other unintended changes too.

Try drawing the sector the opposite direction, so the sides of the linedefs are facing the other way.
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think it will do. I can draw the sector in the "correct clockwise direction", and it can be as simple as a triangle, but still if I try to move any of said triangle's vertices around, it will fuck the whole shit up.

I will just send a private message to MaxEd and hope the feedback will prove useful - it could also be my hardware since it's a little dated and the map has grown pretty big.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

It would be wonderful and hugely appreciated to see support for EDF and other formats' thing definitions without needing to create dummy DECORATE lumps or modified config files.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”