GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Tormentor667

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by Tormentor667 »

Kappes Buur wrote:C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Doom Builder\GZBuilder.log
There you go, copied directly after silently crashing/closing GZDB :) Hope it helps!
Attachments
GZBuilder.log
(88.99 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Tormentor667 wrote: There you go, copied directly after silently crashing/closing GZDB :) Hope it helps!
So, I compared the logfiles in Notepad++ . It looks like that over time your logfile accumulated a lot of clutter (everything in green areas) which may stress GZDBBF unnecessarily, and also missing the entries for zokum which have been included quite a few versions back.
Spoiler:
For just in case, save your present logfile somewhere.
Then delete the one in \AppData\Local\Doom Builder\ and let GZDBBF create a new one.
Maybe that will correct your issue with the editor.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For what it's worth, I just got one of those silent crashes too. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to check the log file. Not sure what it would have shown though because I hadn't done much at all:

Started GZDB,
Loaded a map (plus the resources needed for it)
Went straight to visual mode
Everything paused for a second or two and then BANG! I'm at the desktop.

Basically, that's pretty much how it happens with me. Go to visual mode, it pauses and then it just drops out. It's rare - it hasn't happened for over a week with me - but it's annoying when it happens.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I use customisable linedef colour presets for a variety of things (very cool feature BTW). However, in UDMF mode, I can't seem to set a colour that indicates "this line has a tag". i.e. no special action or anything, just a tag. It would be useful to see at a glance which lines are tagged. Is there a way of doing this?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Aaaand triple post - but they are hours if not days apart and about different topics. :P

I am trying to use the find function to find lines that have the Repeatable action set but I can seem to get any results that are of use to me.

If I set it up like this:

I get told

But if I set it up like this

It reports back thousands of lines, regardless of whether they are set to be repeatable or not.

I've tried other (pretty random) combinations. I've deselected every type except the ones I'm interested in, I've messed around with ticks and boxes in as many combinations as I can think of. I'm still not getting any results that are of use to me. I either get no results or thousands of results. I know that I have at least 1 line that is repeatable, double sided and nothing else because I specifically set one for testing purposes.

It honestly seems as if picking the Repeatable flag simply gets ignored, unless it's the only one picked and then I get told it's not a valid choice (as per above).

The reason I need this is because the "player walks over" activation type gets nixed when I paste a map from Hexen format into UDMF but the presence of a repeatable action flag confuses the "Check Missing Activations" checker into thinking the line has an activation type even though it doesn't really (I've opened an issue on Github about that #288).

I'm going to assume that I'm just doing something wrong - so can anyone tell me how to set things up to search for any 2 sided lines that have a repeatable action flag but no actual activation type?
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Enjay wrote: ... - so can anyone tell me how to set things up to search for any 2 sided lines that have a repeatable action flag but no actual activation type?
Not through the search function. I set up a coloured linedef for that
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks, I love the coloured lines filter feature so I don't know why I didn't think about using that. Unfortunately, the map I'm working on right now is big and complicated (25 000+ lines) so I would really need a line to "pop" before I could see it. A filter will help though.

Your gif does show me, however, that clearly the basic functionality is there; the filter was able to find 2S repeatable lines. I wonder why I can't get the search feature to do the same? Although it's all in the same dialogue, my search parameters are basically the same as your filter.

[edit]While I'm at it, thinking of line colours and visibility, is there any way to adjust how big the 3D floor markers are? (i.e. the red lines that are put at the ends of lines in sectors that have 3D floors attached.) These red lines are very useful but as I zoom out, their size is fixed so they take up more and more of the line they are drawn on. This can obscure smaller lines entirely making searching for short lines difficult.
Spoiler:
In fact, the zoom factor that the error checker and find functions zoom to when showing results is just about the perfect value for the red indicators to obscure a length 16 line.
Spoiler:
I know that I can switch the red markers on and off, but I'd rather just have them be smaller or not have a fixed size (i.e. have them get smaller when I zoom out). Can that be done anywhere? I don't see it in preferences. I also don't see an option to change their colour. I'd like them to be a bit less "in your face BOLD-RED". [/edit]
boris

Post by boris »

Enjay wrote:I also don't see an option to change their colour. I'd like them to be a bit less "in your face BOLD-RED".
Tools -> Preferences -> Appearance -> At the bottom of the Colors group.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Doh! there it is. Don't know how I missed that one. Thank you very much.

[edit}
Aside: It's impossible for mere words to convey the sense of deep joy and satisfaction that an old, jaded mapper such as myself feels when finally being able to offset floor/ceiling textures with ease. If UDMF only offered this one feature, it would justify the entire format IMO.

:wub:

[/edit]
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

And more... This time with line type 209 Transfer Heights.

It doesn't seem to show in visual mode.
Spoiler:
Is it meant to work, or is it a bug?
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Enjay wrote: [edit}
Aside: It's impossible for mere words to convey the sense of deep joy and satisfaction that an old, jaded mapper such as myself feels when finally being able to offset floor/ceiling textures with ease.

If UDMF only offered this one feature, it would justify the entire format IMO.
[/edit]
It does, and it is interactive :)

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/ZZtcfJQ[/imgur]
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sorry, misunderstanding - I probably wasn't clear. I know it offers the abilty - that's what I was celebrating (and the way that GZDB handles it is so easy). I was trying to say that the feature is so good that even if that was the only thing that UDMF offered, it would be worth it for that alone. :)

Anyway, while I'm on, just another "can I" question. If I am searching for something and I click on the search results, GZDB centres the found object in the view (so far so good) but it also zooms to a pre-defined value. Is there any way to stop it doing the zooming thing?

e.g. if I was already zoomed right in on something, I might want to keep that level of zoom for my search results too (particularly if I was looking for some really small stuff) - but GZDB will zoom out to its pre-defined value (and that can make the found item hard to see). Equally, I might be looking for something in a big map overview kind of way and I want to stay zoomed out but, again, GZDB will zoom in to its "found what you wanted" value.

So, sometimes I'd basically like to centre on the found item, but leave the zoom level at whatever I had before searching. Can that be done?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Got another one.

Is there any way to set the preferences in UDMF mode to make the front side tab of the linedef editor look more noticeably different to the back one?

Why? Because I'm apparently very clumsy and unobservant and I keep editing the wrong side.

This is especially problematic because if I have been editing one line's back side, then go to edit another line, the dialogue opens with the back tab open. Don't get me wrong, that makes sense and all, I'm just used to an editor that always opened its line editor on the front side. So, I happily go about changing my textures (etc), press OK and only realise at some later point that I made my changes to the wrong side.

It wasn't a problem in Hexen mode because both sides are shown in the same dialogue...
Spoiler:
but in UDMF the front and back sides are on different but almost identical tabs...
Spoiler:
I understand the need for separate tabs - there is far more to deal with in UDMF mode - but, seriously, I have edited the wrong side of a line sooooo many times it's not funny.

This is not a new problem for me BTW. The reason that DeePsea has different coloured dialogues for the front and back of a line is because I was having the same problem years ago and Jack Vermeulen added it for me.
Spoiler:
I can't say that would have been my colour choice, but it certainly solved the problem for me.

If it isn't possible to change things via user preferences would there be any appetite for changing the program to make these dialogues look less similar? Even having the option for the line editor to always open on the "properties" tab would help me because then I would be forced to pick which side I am editing. Something like the DeePsea different colours would work too, of course (not sure where the colours would go though), or maybe a rearrangement of how the panels are on front versus back might work.

e.g.
Spoiler:
Of course, to justify this, other people would have to want it and someone would need to be willing to code it. No demands here, just asking. :)

But firstly, is there already some kind of option somewhere?

[edit]
And a supplementary side question if I may.

Is there any way to tell GZDB to only load specific resources from a file? (Or, more importantly, exclude particular resources?)

The reason I ask is that gzdoom.pk3, which I need to load for my project, has the texture "-NOFLAT-" in it. The problem is, as any mapper will know "-" means "no texture". So, when I go to type "-" into a texture field, a little list drops down suggesting "-NOFLAT-" which I have never wanted to put on a sidedef, but I have wanted to use "-" hundreds of times, so I keep seeing that suggestion.
Spoiler:
Any way to not see that?
[/edit]
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Don't know if this is of any use, of if it's related to anything that has been discussed recently, but GZDB just gave me one of those little dialogues with a bunch of text to copy and buttons saying "Continue" and "Exit" (or quit or whatever, I forget).

The text doesn't look too meaningful to me, but here it is:

Code: Select all

***********SYSTEM INFO***********
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
GZDB: R3074
Platform: x86

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
Unable to sort because the IComparer.Compare() method returns inconsistent results. Either a value does not compare equal to itself, or one value repeatedly compared to another value yields different results. IComparer: 'System.Array+FunctorComparer`1[CodeImp.DoomBuilder.VisualModes.VisualGeometry]'.
   at System.Collections.Generic.IntrospectiveSortUtilities.ThrowOrIgnoreBadComparer(Object comparer)
   at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.Sort(T[] keys, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
   at System.Array.Sort[T](T[] array, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Sort(Comparison`1 comparison)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.RenderTranslucentPass(List`1 geopass, List`1 thingspass) in X:\Source\Core\Rendering\Renderer3D.cs:line 1003
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer3D.FinishGeometry() in X:\Source\Core\Rendering\Renderer3D.cs:line 467
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.OnRedrawDisplay() in X:\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualMode.cs:line 1285
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.RedrawDisplay() in X:\Source\Core\Windows\MainForm.cs:line 1013
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.VisualModes.VisualMode.OnProcess(Int64 deltatime) in X:\Source\Core\VisualModes\VisualMode.cs:line 1132
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.BaseVisualMode.OnProcess(Int64 deltatime) in X:\Source\Plugins\BuilderModes\VisualModes\BaseVisualMode.cs:line 1210
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.processor_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in X:\Source\Core\Windows\MainForm.cs:line 4339
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
All I was doing was making a new sector. Nothing unusual.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I hadn't realised that I was running the 32 bit version of GZDB. So I just updated to the 64 bit version and now with one of my projects I keep getting this warning:

"Unable to make file image. BadImageFormatException: DevIL error: IL_ILLEGAL_FILE_VALUE"

But that's all it gives me. Any way to track down what is causing the error? I have a lot of resources loaded - too many to eliminate things one by one.

The 32 bit version did not give this warning BTW.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”