WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby TheArchvile » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:22 pm

JPL, this is not really a bug per se, but more of an oversight that you probably didn't bother adding because it is very minimal and almost silly. For E1M10 (the infamous secret map Sewers for UD), it has been written on both Doom wiki and Doom fandom that the blood splat actually appears outside of the boundaries of the map. If you were to add it on a future update, where would you place it?

Also, the update works wonders, excellent work!
TheArchvile
 
Joined: 09 Mar 2020

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby Xerenogan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:17 am

Thank you so much for this. I, at first heard of it in my periphery but discounted it for too long. This has just replaced doom2 as my default wad.
I know the stance on unofficial wads (which I agree with), but to those who are interested, I was able to get the "lost episodes" working after a fashion. The script update back there has some problems with my setup. That's fine. For those using the old scrips for incorporating "the lost episodes" , in the "wadsmoosh_data.py" that you included, you are missing a comma at the end of line 48.

The rest of it though, is outstanding. The script is easy to change. I really like the constant support over the years, though I just found out about it today. I was missing out.

No problems yet. Will let you know.
Thank you so much for this JP. Good job!
User avatar
Xerenogan
 
Joined: 04 Jul 2020
Location: Lojbanistan
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby strangebit » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:26 pm

I was just looking at the zscript code and I noticed that DoDoom1PoisonTextureReplacements() will never be called if there's a custom sky (if CheckSkyOverriden() returns true), because of the early return statements in the WorldLoaded event handler. I don't understand the custom sky stuff so maybe I'm wrong, but on the surface it doesn't look intentional to me, so just letting you know. :mrgreen:

Code: Select allExpand view
    override void WorldLoaded(WorldEvent e)
    {
        if ( CVar.FindCVar("ws_finaldoom_texswap").GetBool() )
            DoFinalDoomTextureReplacements();
        if ( CVar.FindCVar("ws_d2sky_compat").GetBool() )
        {
            if ( CheckSkyOverriden("RSKY1", "SKY1") )
                return;
            else if ( CheckSkyOverriden("RSKY2", "SKY2") )
                return;
            CheckSkyOverriden("RSKY3", "SKY3");
        }
        if ( CVar.FindCVar("ws_d1pois_texswap").GetBool() )
            DoDoom1PoisonTextureReplacements();
    }
strangebit
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2020

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby Gez » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 am

strangebit wrote:I was just looking at the zscript code and I noticed that DoDoom1PoisonTextureReplacements() will never be called if there's a custom sky (if CheckSkyOverriden() returns true), because of the early return statements in the WorldLoaded event handler. I don't understand the custom sky stuff so maybe I'm wrong, but on the surface it doesn't look intentional to me, so just letting you know. :mrgreen:

The sky checks are for whether the level's regular sky is RSKY1/2/3 and a custom SKY1/2/3 is provided. In other words, they'll only return true when in a Doom II level. When in a Ultimate Doom level, they will return false and therefore won't trigger the early returns, and the Doom1Poison function only works in Ult. Doom levels.

So it should work fine.
Gez
 
 
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby strangebit » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:34 am

Gez wrote:
strangebit wrote:I was just looking at the zscript code and I noticed that DoDoom1PoisonTextureReplacements() will never be called if there's a custom sky (if CheckSkyOverriden() returns true), because of the early return statements in the WorldLoaded event handler. I don't understand the custom sky stuff so maybe I'm wrong, but on the surface it doesn't look intentional to me, so just letting you know. :mrgreen:

The sky checks are for whether the level's regular sky is RSKY1/2/3 and a custom SKY1/2/3 is provided. In other words, they'll only return true when in a Doom II level. When in a Ultimate Doom level, they will return false and therefore won't trigger the early returns, and the Doom1Poison function only works in Ult. Doom levels.

So it should work fine.

Ah, I didn't realize. :thumb:
strangebit
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2020

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby Yarn366 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:07 pm

I noticed that, for Master Levels and Final Doom, WadSmoosh uses FLOOR7_2 for the border graphic; they should use GRNROCK instead. (Doom 1, Doom 2, Sigil, and No Rest for the Living all use the correct border graphic.)
Yarn366
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2018

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby JPL » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:26 am

Yarn366 wrote:I noticed that, for Master Levels and Final Doom, WadSmoosh uses FLOOR7_2 for the border graphic; they should use GRNROCK instead. (Doom 1, Doom 2, Sigil, and No Rest for the Living all use the correct border graphic.)


Good catch, I didn't know about the "BorderTexture" MAPINFO property. Final Doom is an easy obvious fix. Is the use of GRNROCK for the Master Levels border based on the Playstation version?
User avatar
JPL
 
 
 
Joined: 09 Apr 2012

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby Yarn366 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 am

JPL wrote:Is the use of GRNROCK for the Master Levels border based on the Playstation version?

No, it's based on the PC version.
Yarn366
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2018

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby JPL » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:58 am

Yarn366 wrote:
JPL wrote:Is the use of GRNROCK for the Master Levels border based on the Playstation version?

No, it's based on the PC version.


Since the Master Levels run off Doom 2 wouldn't they use the same border graphic as Doom 2?
User avatar
JPL
 
 
 
Joined: 09 Apr 2012

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby Yarn366 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:56 pm

JPL wrote:
Yarn366 wrote:
JPL wrote:Is the use of GRNROCK for the Master Levels border based on the Playstation version?

No, it's based on the PC version.


Since the Master Levels run off Doom 2 wouldn't they use the same border graphic as Doom 2?

Yes, they do. In vanilla, Doom 2 and Final Doom use GRNROCK, while Doom 1 uses FLOOR7_2. Mods use the same border graphics as their base games unless they replace the texture.
Yarn366
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2018

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby JPL » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:33 pm

Yarn366 wrote:Yes, they do. In vanilla, Doom 2 and Final Doom use GRNROCK, while Doom 1 uses FLOOR7_2. Mods use the same border graphics as their base games unless they replace the texture.


Okay, so everything except Ultimate Doom and Sigil should use GRNROCK, and those two (5 episodes) should use FLOOR7_2. It looks like Doom 2 was not in fact showing up correctly, then. I just confirmed it now works as it does with the vanilla IWADs.
User avatar
JPL
 
 
 
Joined: 09 Apr 2012

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby Yarn366 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:44 am

JPL wrote:
Yarn366 wrote:Okay, so everything except Ultimate Doom and Sigil should use GRNROCK, and those two (5 episodes) should use FLOOR7_2. It looks like Doom 2 was not in fact showing up correctly, then. I just confirmed it now works as it does with the vanilla IWADs.

Doom 2 (minus the secret levels, which are defined in a different file) and No Rest for the Living actually were using the correct border because block was at the top of doom2_levels.txt:

Code: Select allExpand view
adddefaultmap
{
   BorderTexture = "GRNROCK"
}


The "adddefaultmap" block sets properties for all maps in the file that come after the block. So, for instance, if every map in a file should have a certain properties, you can place those properties in a single "adddefaultmap" block at the beginning of the file rather than in every map definition.
Yarn366
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2018

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby JPL » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Yarn366 wrote:The "adddefaultmap" block sets properties for all maps in the file that come after the block. So, for instance, if every map in a file should have a certain properties, you can place those properties in a single "adddefaultmap" block at the beginning of the file rather than in every map definition.


Good to know, thanks!
User avatar
JPL
 
 
 
Joined: 09 Apr 2012

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby ShockwaveS08 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:34 pm

Will there be support for the "Ultra-Violence+" difficulty that was just introduced in the Unity versions of Doom and Doom II?

Basically, weapon and monster spawns match those present only in co-op and deathmatch, and enemies are just as fast as they are on Nightmare.

Par times were also added for E1M8, E2M8, and E3M8.
ShockwaveS08
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2016
Discord: Shockwave_S08#0859

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby Gez » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Creating a skill that's basically UV fast is possible, creating a skill that causes the engine to ignore the multiplayer-only flag would require a new engine feature I guess. But it would be an okay feature suggestion.

May I suggest taking the DSSECRET lump from extras.wad, if found? It's the official secret sound now.
Gez
 
 
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests