WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby JPL » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Recent-ish (past few months) updates to the build on Bitbucket:
- Windows exe now uses Python 3.4 and the newish OMGIFOL. source script can still run in python2.
- if source_wads/ is empty, give a helpful error message instead of creating a worthless pk3.
- fixed several TNT-unique animated texture issues
- fixed one or two Final Doom animated switch issues
- fixed a few non-critical errors
- episode title pics from NightFright (would you like me to credit you for this? if so, how?)
JPL

Postby NightFright » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:30 am

You may credit me for this if you wish. Just use my nickname.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby JPL » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:57 am

JPL wrote:Recent-ish (past few months) updates to the build on Bitbucket:
- Windows exe now uses Python 3.4 and the newish OMGIFOL. source script can still run in python2.
- if source_wads/ is empty, give a helpful error message instead of creating a worthless pk3.
- fixed several TNT-unique animated texture issues
- fixed one or two Final Doom animated switch issues
- fixed a few non-critical errors
- episode title pics from NightFright (would you like me to credit you for this? if so, how?)

Okay, new version up with a couple changes:
- Finally added Scalliano & Hellser's custom title art from last year - I used the latest posted version and credited both yall since it seemed like one was running with the other's first draft?
- Added credits for said art and NightFright's episode titles. Let me know if there's any change in how you want to be credited.

With these past two builds I'm pretty sure I've ironed out any issues that are fixable on my end (ie not IWAD detection quirks). Since the version on the idgames archive is now six months of small fixes out of date, I guess I should upload an updated version? Anyone who hasn't smooshed in a while/ever should feel free to try it with various combinations of IWADs and play through different levels looking for texture/music/text/etc problems. I haven't seen any in a while.
JPL

Postby vanhofen » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:36 am

Thanks for the new version. I love it.

But the new M_DOOM.png breaks all existing design rules. So i have created a new one based apon the old image. Maybe you or anyone else will use it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vanhofen

Postby vanhofen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 am

@JPL, see this as a small inspiration to add The Lost Episodes of DOOM to the smooshed pk3. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vanhofen

Postby wodencafe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:56 am

Hi @JPL, first I want to thank you for building this tool. It is very useful.

I'm having an odd problem, I've done the "wadsmoosh" process and produced a doom_complete.pk3, and I included all of the iwads as input.

The doom_complete.pk3 works fine, I'm using it with Zandronum, which is showing all of the wads except for TNT, I can't understand why TNT is missing. I am definitely including the wad, I see tnt referenced inside doom_complete.pk3 in the mapinfo.txt file, and it's mentioned in the wadsmoosh.log.

Could this be a bug? For some reason TNT is just not listed when I try to start a new game.
wodencafe

Postby JPL » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 pm

wodencafe wrote:Hi @JPL, first I want to thank you for building this tool. It is very useful.

I'm having an odd problem, I've done the "wadsmoosh" process and produced a doom_complete.pk3, and I included all of the iwads as input.

The doom_complete.pk3 works fine, I'm using it with Zandronum, which is showing all of the wads except for TNT, I can't understand why TNT is missing. I am definitely including the wad, I see tnt referenced inside doom_complete.pk3 in the mapinfo.txt file, and it's mentioned in the wadsmoosh.log.

Could this be a bug? For some reason TNT is just not listed when I try to start a new game.

It does appear to be a bug with Zandronum. I tried removing the Plutonia entry from the PK3's MAPINFO and it displayed TNT just fine. Zandronum's behavior appears to be: "display up to 8 episodes, but if there are more than 8 then ignore >7th through (N-1)th declared episodes and display the final episode in the 8th slot".
JPL

Postby Rachael » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 pm

JPL wrote:Zandronum's behavior appears to be: "display up to 8 episodes, but if there are more than 8 then ignore >7th through (N-1)th declared episodes and display the final episode in the 8th slot".

It could be that the current official version of Zandronum is stuck on ancient menu code. (Last time I poked around with it, it didn't even support MENUDEF yet)
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby JPL » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:48 pm

On the plus side, I tried with the latest development version (Zandronum 3.0-alpha - 170429-1819 from the Arch User Repositories) and it showed up fine. So just wait for Zandronum 3.0?
JPL

Postby wodencafe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 am

JPL wrote:On the plus side, I tried with the latest development version (Zandronum 3.0-alpha - 170429-1819 from the Arch User Repositories) and it showed up fine. So just wait for Zandronum 3.0?

I actually downloaded the Zandronum 3.0 alpha last night for an unrelated reason (Checking if it supports ACS_NamedExecuteWithResult, which it does) and discovered they fixed the menu too :) They also made Class Selection work properly.

Thank you for the quick response.
wodencafe

Postby DaveCooper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 am

brightmaps do not work with wadsmoosh
i got some brightmaps for switches, walls and other stuff, and with wadsmoosh they do not present in the game
Is there a way to make them work?
DaveCooper

Postby JPL » Mon May 01, 2017 9:56 am

DaveCooper wrote:brightmaps do not work with wadsmoosh
i got some brightmaps for switches, walls and other stuff, and with wadsmoosh they do not present in the game
Is there a way to make them work?

Hm, that's odd. These are defined in GLDEFS right? Aside from a few Final Doom exceptions, WadSmoosh's texture def files keep the original texture names, so any brightmap defs from your mod that refer to those textures should still work. Are you loading doom_complete.pk3 as a PWAD or as an IWAD? If the former, check the order it's being loaded relative to your brightmaps mod.
JPL

Postby DaveCooper » Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 pm

https://mega.nz/#!Aw1VHLIb!TOs_-hAOcmFu ... a0dzAFQd8o
brightmaps ive been using alongside original gzdoom brightmaps
without wadsmoosh they work with any doom wad
please take a look at them
DaveCooper

Postby JPL » Mon May 01, 2017 5:54 pm

DaveCooper wrote:https://mega.nz/#!Aw1VHLIb!TOs_-hAOcmFuOcfME6PA8hYUnPGA3jsPqa0dzAFQd8o
brightmaps ive been using alongside original gzdoom brightmaps
without wadsmoosh they work with any doom wad
please take a look at them

Okay, tried these out. When I use a WadSmoosh-generated doom_complete.pk3 file as the IWAD (ie with the -iwad command line switch), the brightmaps in your file there show up fine. If I use doom_complete.pk3 as a PWAD, ie loading it as a normal WAD alongside brightmaps_plus.pk3, then they do not show up because it loads the texture definitions in doom_complete.pk3 after the brightmaps. This is a quirk of GZDoom load ordering and I don't have any control over this, and I don't know of any advantages of using the doom_complete.pk3 as a PWAD instead of an IWAD.
JPL

Postby DaveCooper » Tue May 02, 2017 11:19 am

Oh. I was using smoosh as PWAD cause it was not in gzdoom as IWAD before i think.
I just tried do the thing you did and everything work perfect. Thank you very much for help. Wadsmoosh rocks! 8-)
DaveCooper

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation