WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by armymen12002003 »

This is very nifty i like it keep up the good work.
Space Detective

Post by Space Detective »

This is an interesting thing. I don't really think I'll get much use out of this, but it's neat that this even exists.

Edit: Never mind I'm an idiot, the DSHOOF sound effect is right there.

Also, if you don't mind a request do you think you could do something like this for HeXen and Deathkings of the Dark Citadel?
Last edited by Space Detective on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomekop

Post by Nomekop »

Found a glitch: The plutonia and tnt episodes fail to show up and have incorrect music in the Zandronum source port, due to it not correctly supporting map lumps longer than 8 characters. Not sure if it would be worthwhile to change up the process to have shorter map names or not.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Nomekop wrote:Found a glitch: The plutonia and tnt episodes fail to show up and have incorrect music in the Zandronum source port, due to it not correctly supporting map lumps longer than 8 characters. Not sure if it would be worthwhile to change up the process to have shorter map names or not.
I think that's something that Zandronum themselves need to fix, not this mod. :P
LukeArio

Post by LukeArio »

I found another switch texture error. Its on TNT Map 23.

wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Perhaps relevant to this ZDoom feature suggestion: could WadSmoosh be made to leave an identifying lump somewhere in the generated PK3 file, perhaps SMOOSHED.TXT in the root, that ZDoom can use to identify it via IWADINFO?
NGX

Post by NGX »

JPL wrote:
wildweasel wrote: [edit] Oh, do the Master Levels come up in a specific order, or did you implement Zippy's Master Levels menu interface?
Lots of D_RUNNIN given that most of the maps are in the MAP01 slot, but I didn't want to make any subjective creative decisions.
That's very considerate - seeing as you are the author of this get-together of all mother wads, I wouldn't mind a prompt to change the Master Levels music to music of DOOM II levels that most resemble ML-levels, though :wink:

I'll be trying this out and I'm glad to see this happening too! Thanks!
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

I made the new pk3 file but only Ultimate Doom shows up and can be played, what am I doing wrong?
DarkTalon25

Post by DarkTalon25 »

I can't get the Master Levels or the XBox Doom levels in my pk3. What am I doing wrong?
subenji

Post by subenji »

For those struggling to set this up right, here's an example source_wads folder where everything works that you can refer to, also showing filesizes and last modified dates to compare.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nMDg ... -52-11.png
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, new build is up:

https://bitbucket.org/JPLeBreton/wadsmoosh/downloads

Notable changes:
- Move all the data tables, eg lists of files to copy and read for wad data, out of the main python script into a file called "wadsmoosh_data.py". The EXE executes this at runtime, so you can change it as you like, test out fixes, etc. Part of my intent is that no future builds will require any changes to the main script itself, thus no new EXE builds needed. This will make any pull requests from you folks, and my own maintenance work, easier.
- Added the "smooshed.txt" lump Wildweasel mentioned so ZDoom can detect the pk3 if it wants to.
- Fixed a few TNT/Plutonia texture references I found. The TNT map23 one LukeArio found above isn't fixed yet, I need to sort out some subtle texture def conflicts first.
- Doom 2 window border texture fix MG_Man suggested.
- All Final Doom music lumps are extracted separately, for compatibility with music replacments.

For anyone who gets a tiny PK3 full of only text data in it, check your wadsmoosh.log, or any other log files in the same folder. Either you don't have stuff in the right place/filename, or the program is crashing. In the latter case, send me any interesting log files you have.

As for requests for supporting other games, I don't think that's worth my time. The MIT-licensed source is included with the build, so feel free to adapt it for your own uses.

I also don't want to make any subjective changes, ie music or graphic replacements other than the custom title art and ENDOOM. If there are any other level fixes of comparable severity to the TNT MAP31 fix, let me know.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Huh. This makes my own .pk3s feel a bit like wastes of time. Well, that is if I wasn't planning on merging PSX Doom shit into the levels, but still, this is amazing.

How did you pull this off?
JPL

Post by JPL »

Devianteist wrote:Huh. This makes my own .pk3s feel a bit like wastes of time. Well, that is if I wasn't planning on merging PSX Doom shit into the levels, but still, this is amazing.

How did you pull this off?
Really all the heavy lifting, eg extracting resources from the WADs, is done by the OMGIFOL library. The rest is just ~250 lines of Python and some text data lumps that are just tweaked versions of what's included with ZDoom.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

A note; when playing with a custom level pack for Doom 2, the Doom 1 title music continues to play instead of the custom level pack's title music.

On a related note, when finishing TNT or Plutonia, the text screen music continues into the cast roll, instead of playing their retrospective MAP31 songs.
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

Thinking about Devianteist's comment, has there been a recreation of Doom 64 levels? Seems like something neat to add on to this.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”