WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by Rachael »

You don't drag it on top of the marine. What you do is you put it in the same folder as GZDoom and then GZDoom detects it.

If you aren't getting a start up dialog when starting GZDoom, hold down shift.
Cheater87

Post by Cheater87 »

If I run GZ as admin it detects it.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Then you might need to give permission to yourself to use it.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/comput ... s-windows/
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Will WadSmoosh be updated to add support for John Romero's "5th Episode" for The Ultimate Doom, "Sigil"?

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... ohn-romero

It doesn't come out 'til this Febtuary, though.
JPL

Post by JPL »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Will WadSmoosh be updated to add support for John Romero's "5th Episode" for The Ultimate Doom, "Sigil"?

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... ohn-romero

It doesn't come out 'til this Febtuary, though.
It'll be freely available, so you can already download and do anything you want with it.

To that end, though, someone should reach out to Romero and make sure he intends to release a WAD version that's whatever level of minimum compatibility he's after (vanilla, Boom, etc) and - with the physical media release - a PK3 that includes the Buckethead music and a MAPINFO to provide a proper place in the episode list.
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

I've also noticed how a certain mod, Doom Combined, does something similar to WADSmoosh, while also adding Doom II elements into The Ultimate Doom, namely the Super Shotgun and the former's enemies into the latter. Would it be possible to integrate an optional "dynamic spawner" for Ultimate Doom only, provided that Doom II assets are also present in the final smooshed package?
JPL

Post by JPL »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:I've also noticed how a certain mod, Doom Combined, does something similar to WADSmoosh, while also adding Doom II elements into The Ultimate Doom, namely the Super Shotgun and the former's enemies into the latter. Would it be possible to integrate an optional "dynamic spawner" for Ultimate Doom only, provided that Doom II assets are also present in the final smooshed package?
Could this be done as a separate PK3? I don't necessarily see why that needs to be in the IWAD. Regardless, this seems like it strays far enough from the vanilla experience that I'd consider it a mod, not a repacking of the original content, and thus outside the scope of what WadSmoosh is for.
CresT

Post by CresT »

Is it possible to fix DHTP to work as intended with merged wads?
I tried to do so, before stumbling into texture definitions territory.

A separate utility to convert resource replacements like music/texture packs into wadsmoosh structure would be awesome.
JPL

Post by JPL »

CresT wrote:Is it possible to fix DHTP to work as intended with merged wads?
I tried to do so, before stumbling into texture definitions territory.

A separate utility to convert resource replacements like music/texture packs into wadsmoosh structure would be awesome.
I don't use DHTP (or any resource replacements that don't work out-of-the-box with WadSmoosh) so I'm not sure what would be involved.
CresT

Post by CresT »

I don't use DHTP (or any resource replacements that don't work out-of-the-box with WadSmoosh) so I'm not sure what would be involved.
For music it's just the matter of taking files from 3 different packs, adding "P_" and "T_" to their names and packing them all into one wad.
It's the same for some textures (Like "FIREBLU" in plutonia), however textures like switches and "BRNPOIS", that use the same patches, but apply them differently in doom and doom 2 are what causes problems.

Well, I guess, it's just not going to work until somebody goes out of their way to make a texturepack specifically for WadSmoosh.

(Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, and am wrong about everything I've just said).
masterkark

Post by masterkark »

In native resolution (in my case 1920x1080) the episode list doesn't fully fit the screen. Is this normal?
Spoiler:
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Seems to work for me at the same resolution:

What GZDoom version are you using, and have you messed with the scaling options in Display Settings at all?
masterkark

Post by masterkark »

wildweasel wrote: What GZDoom version are you using, and have you messed with the scaling options in Display Settings at all?
I'm using GZDoom 3.7.2 x64. Once I deleted the .ini, the problem wasn't there. However, I want to force 4:3 aspect ratio because sprites look too narrow. So I did in display options, and the problem still wasn't there. However, once I relaunched GZDoom, without chaning any other settings, the problem appears suddenly.

EDIT: It appears that this forced 4:3 ratio is causing this. The game however looks better with it IMHO. Must I stick to default then?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I assume you will add support for Sigil later (even though I dunno if you eventually reach the episode limit)?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Don't assume.

Sigil is technically considered a fan-made wad, despite the fact that it was made by an original Doom developer. It might actually make sense to add it to this project, but it would be easy to understand why it wouldn't be. I have no love for the current owners of the Doom franchise, but they definitely did not green-light that mapset in any sense.

I'm not opposed to it being added - I am just saying you're a little quick to jump the gun in assuming that it would be.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”