WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JPL

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by JPL »

K, new version up:
- fix the above mentioned doom1/doom2 texture conflicts, eg switch in e1m3, by redoing those two games' texture defs. thanks Full Doom Textures for the helpful reference.
- if final doom is present but not doom2, extract doom2-specific resources from tnt.wad. if doom1 is also not present, extract common resources from tnt.wad too, and the 3 doom1 patches from plutonia.wad
- add M_EPISOD to common graphics lump list to fix error message even if doom1 isn't present
- copy included resources before extracting lumps (no impact on functionality)

Let me know if you find any more texture errors!
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'm afraid I haven't had time to play with this yet, but I'd been meaning to ask: Is this program able to read IWADs out of the Steam install locations, the way ZDoom.exe can? It would be a nice convenience and save a step for some users.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Ed the Bat wrote:I'm afraid I haven't had time to play with this yet, but I'd been meaning to ask: Is this program able to read IWADs out of the Steam install locations, the way ZDoom.exe can? It would be a nice convenience and save a step for some users.
Hm, interesting. Right now the application is zero-configuration, and I'd like to keep it that way - otherwise it gets into "build a GUI" territory. This would mainly be on Windows, right? If there is a reliable registry key it could query to find the WADs, that seems reasonable. I think I'm pretty much done messing with this for a while, but that's a good possible v1.1 feature.
Last edited by JPL on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, the project down has its own public Bitbucket repository:

https://bitbucket.org/JPLeBreton/wadsmoosh

and I've updated the first post in this thread with a link to that download page.
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

I wish someone could do something like extended version of memorial.wad by Eternal with all IWAD level included in single UDMF format map (or at least like some hub-based system)

As for performance issues, I have ~1500-2000 fps on memorial.wad (gzdoom 1.8.6, 640x480, core i5-4670 3.4 ghz, 8 gb ram, geforce gt240), so this shouldn't be a real problem.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Looks like a great idea, but doesn't work for me. It produces a pk3 if the source iwad folder is empty, but otherwise it gives this log

Copying mapinfo.txt
Copying language.txt
Copying endoom
Copying textures.doom1
Copying textures.doom2
Copying textures.tnt
Copying textures.plut
Copying graphics/M_DOOM.png
Copying graphics/TITLEPIC.png
Copying mapinfo/doom1_levels.txt
Copying mapinfo/doom2_levels.txt
Copying mapinfo/masterlevels.txt
Copying mapinfo/tnt_levels.txt
Copying mapinfo/plutonia_levels.txt
Processing IWAD doom...

no pk3 is generated, no matter what combo I do...I'm running on windows 8.1, no idea what the issue is... Shame, I would love this for hideous destructor.
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

Can you please make it to read the needed .WADs from a directory of my choice? I have one big (really big) folder for all of them that are ZDoom-compatible, so manually tinkering with them isn't easy.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Can I make a suggestion? Instead of having the pk3 contain $MUSIC_X in the Plutonia MAPINFO lump for maps 20 + 22-26 + README, would it be possible to just give them the P_ prefix like the rest of the Plutonia maps? - I think this would be better because it makes the Plutonia MIDI Pack compatible with this (provided you change the names of the file names in the Plutonia MIDI pack to have a P_ prefix). Or better yet, make the program recognize plutmidi.wad and automatically put the music in the iwad? Thanks.
Last edited by Gutawer on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

Pretty useful tool, so you don't have to switch IWADs everytime.
JPL

Post by JPL »

mumblemumble wrote: no pk3 is generated, no matter what combo I do...I'm running on windows 8.1, no idea what the issue is... Shame, I would love this for hideous destructor.
Is there a file called wadsmoosh.log in the folder where you ran it? If so I'd like to see what it output. Also any other .log files that the program might have generated.
DemonSlayer
Location: Resides in a base on Mars guarding the world from the Ream of Hell

Post by DemonSlayer »

This mod is awesome. For some reason the Master Levels option does not appear. I put the files requested into the source wads folder, is there anything else I should do besides running the exe file?
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

Works fine, except that the Master Levels sky graphic doesn't seem to be added (the maps that use it complain about Unknown Texture ML_SKY1, 2, and 3)

Also I had the same issue where the PK3 was not created/updated, but I just added the contents of the PK3 folder to it myself

And finally, a minor suggestion:

At the beginning of the Doom 2 mapinfo file, adding

Code: Select all

adddefaultmap
{
	BorderTexture = "GRNROCK"
}
makes Doom 2 and on use their different screen border graphic while leaving Doom 1 with its own
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

This one part of E1M1 looks a bit off.
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Wall textures should be defined as WallTextures in TEXTURES lump, not as Textures, so that they don't take priority over floor textures. That can be solved by a simple search-and-replace on the text lumps, no need to edit each texture separately in the visual editor.
LukeArio

Post by LukeArio »

Kinsie wrote:This one part of E1M1 looks a bit off.
Spoiler:
That was fixed a few days ago. It doesn't show up like that for me.
Spoiler:
Last edited by LukeArio on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”