WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DTDsphere

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by DTDsphere »

Thank you so much for this. This is awesome! Now I might stop forgetting that Master Levels for Doom II exists.

Oh I got a question, can this work with the Plutonia MIDI Pack?
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Nevander wrote:I was wondering how did you get all the episodes to fit on the screen like that? I have 10 episodes currently in my project and they are starting to run off the screen.
You'll need to make an adjustment to the MENUDEF settings to fix this. I also have 10 entries on mine and I was able to figure out what needs to be fixed. I also had to adjust the Skull selection icon as didn't really line up with the entries.

In the base of the PK3, make a txt file called MENUDEF and insert this code:

Code: Select all

DEFAULTLISTMENU
    {
    Font "BigFont", "Untranslated"
    Selector "M_SKULL1", -24, -5
    Linespacing 25
    }

ListMenu "EpisodeMenu"
    {
    Font "BigFont", "RED"
    Linespacing 16
    NetgameMessage "$NETGAME"

Position 10, 30
    StaticText 10, 02, "$MNU_EPISODE"
    // items will be filled in by MAPINFO
    }
Just so you know I haven't tested this with more than 10 episodes present, but I have tested it at different screen resolutions (fullscreen and windowed) and it seems to hold up ok.

DTDsphere wrote:Thank you so much for this. This is awesome! Now I might stop forgetting that Master Levels for Doom II exists.

Oh I got a question, can this work with the Plutonia MIDI Pack?
The Complete PK3 lists all music entries as P_Name instead of Doom 2's default D_Name in order to prevent conflicts and the original soundtrack overidding Plutonia's. Simply take the plutmidi.wad base file, open it up and rename all of the tracks with a P at the front instead of a D. Then delete the original entries and copy over the new tracks. Be sure to backup the original Plutonia tracks in case something happens.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:The Complete PK3 lists all music entries as P_Name instead of Doom 2's default D_Name in order to prevent conflicts and the original soundtrack overidding Plutonia's. Simply take the plutmidi.wad base file, open it up and rename all of the tracks with a P at the front instead of a D. Then delete the original entries and copy over the new tracks. Be sure to backup the original Plutonia tracks in case something happens.
It all worked fine except for p_dm2int. It refuses to play, it just uses the DOOM II one, mostly likely from the iwad loaded.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Can the main menu music be switched to use the name of the doom 2 menu music, while using the doom 1 menu ACTUAL music? A side effect of the IWAD using doom 1 menu music, is any custom wad with its own menu music (alien vendetta, icarus, freudian slipgate) doesn't ever actually play the custom music, because it searches through the path of doom 1 menu music, rather than doom 2, where it is replaced.
JPL

Post by JPL »

mumblemumble wrote:Can the main menu music be switched to use the name of the doom 2 menu music, while using the doom 1 menu ACTUAL music? A side effect of the IWAD using doom 1 menu music, is any custom wad with its own menu music (alien vendetta, icarus, freudian slipgate) doesn't ever actually play the custom music, because it searches through the path of doom 1 menu music, rather than doom 2, where it is replaced.
Good call, I'll make sure this is in a future release. (no ETA)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah that's a concern that remains, for me, WadSmoosh's output identifies as Doom 1/Ultimate, which means it responds to the Doom1 folders where [wiki]Lump filtering[/wiki] is concerned. Granted, the only mod I've played that actually makes noticeable changes using lump filtering is my own Mixed Tape Vol.3 which removes the SSG replacement in Doom 1 mode...
JPL

Post by JPL »

wildweasel wrote:Yeah that's a concern that remains, for me, WadSmoosh's output identifies as Doom 1/Ultimate, which means it responds to the Doom1 folders where [wiki]Lump filtering[/wiki] is concerned. Granted, the only mod I've played that actually makes noticeable changes using lump filtering is my own Mixed Tape Vol.3 which removes the SSG replacement in Doom 1 mode...
Last time I checked I'm not sure I can prevent ZDoom from detecting it as Doom1 because it checks for an E1M1 lump before it checks for a MAP01 lump, and WadSmoosh's output pk3 usually has both:
https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/blob/mas ... adinfo.txt

I did add the "smooshed.txt" identifying text lump when someone requested it, so maybe adding it to ZDoom's search data is just a simple pull request? Not sure if that fixes the issue you're talking about though.
JPL

Post by JPL »

JPL wrote:
mumblemumble wrote:Can the main menu music be switched to use the name of the doom 2 menu music, while using the doom 1 menu ACTUAL music? A side effect of the IWAD using doom 1 menu music, is any custom wad with its own menu music (alien vendetta, icarus, freudian slipgate) doesn't ever actually play the custom music, because it searches through the path of doom 1 menu music, rather than doom 2, where it is replaced.
Good call, I'll make sure this is in a future release. (no ETA)
As expected, this ended up being a one-line fix. Build here:

https://bitbucket.org/JPLeBreton/wadsmoosh/downloads

I'll update the build on idgames/ at some point.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

wildweasel wrote:Yeah that's a concern that remains, for me, WadSmoosh's output identifies as Doom 1/Ultimate, which means it responds to the Doom1 folders where [wiki]Lump filtering[/wiki] is concerned. Granted, the only mod I've played that actually makes noticeable changes using lump filtering is my own Mixed Tape Vol.3 which removes the SSG replacement in Doom 1 mode...
Hideous Destructor now, too.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Would you mind describing exactly what happens, and how to reproduce it? I've a hunch I can fix it easily.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

If I remember correctly, the one change I made using lump filtering in Mixed Tape 3 is that, since there is no Super Shotgun in Doom 1, all instances of its replacement unique ammo type - .30-06 en bloc clips, replacing the Box of Shells - are replaced with larger piles of shotgun shells for the standard shotgun replacement.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

wildweasel wrote:If I remember correctly, the one change I made using lump filtering in Mixed Tape 3 is that, since there is no Super Shotgun in Doom 1, all instances of its replacement unique ammo type - .30-06 en bloc clips, replacing the Box of Shells - are replaced with larger piles of shotgun shells for the standard shotgun replacement.
You're not the only project to do so. The absense of the Super Shotgun in Ultimate/Registered Doom inspires other modders to make similar accommodations.
JPL

Post by JPL »

wildweasel wrote:If I remember correctly, the one change I made using lump filtering in Mixed Tape 3 is that, since there is no Super Shotgun in Doom 1, all instances of its replacement unique ammo type - .30-06 en bloc clips, replacing the Box of Shells - are replaced with larger piles of shotgun shells for the standard shotgun replacement.
Okay, just trying to make sure I have good repro steps here so I'll know if my fix works. If I boot up MAP18 your mod with vanilla doom2.wad, I should step outside and see "some .30-06 rifle ammo". If it's detecting doom_complete.pk3 as Doom 1, I see "a few 10g shells". You'd like to see the former result for doom_complete.pk3, not the latter. That sound right?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Yes, that sounds right. Unfortunately the opposite will also no longer be true, in that if you're loading up E2M1, you'll be finding ammo for a weapon you can't actually get.

Then again, maybe at that point it's out of both our hands. =/
JPL

Post by JPL »

wildweasel wrote:Yes, that sounds right. Unfortunately the opposite will also no longer be true, in that if you're loading up E2M1, you'll be finding ammo for a weapon you can't actually get.

Then again, maybe at that point it's out of both our hands. =/
Ah, ok. Bummer, that does sound like a catch-22 without adding something clever to ZDoom itself.

FWIW, my fix for the first problem was this (diff):

Code: Select all

diff --git a/wadsrc/static/iwadinfo.txt b/wadsrc/static/iwadinfo.txt
index d0fb1a1..5cbea76 100644
--- a/wadsrc/static/iwadinfo.txt
+++ b/wadsrc/static/iwadinfo.txt
@@ -219,6 +219,16 @@ IWad
 IWad
 {
+       Name = "Doom Complete"
+       Game = "Doom"
+       Config = "Doom"
+       Mapinfo = "mapinfo/doom2.txt"
+       MustContain = "SMOOSHED"
+       BannerColors = "a8 00 00", "a8 a8 a8"
+}
+
+IWad
+{
        Name = "FreeDM"
        Autoname = "doom.freedoom.freedm"
        Game = "Doom"
I held off on submitting a pull request to ZDoom because 1) the problem you mention above, 2) various "git is confusing garbage" reasons.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”