WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Zombie Killer

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Heh, this is really cool! Think you could support merging the sprite fix projects as well?
Gez

Post by Gez »

wildweasel wrote:I suspect it doesn't read the file extension at all; in order to be loaded as an IWAD, it'd need specific WAD lumps to be present - not the least of which are PLAYPAL and COLORMAP - to even be able to run the game.
Just PLAYPAL; ZDoom will now generate its own COLORMAP if one isn't found.
Rexen
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Home
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Rexen »

This seems to break when loaded with a game play mod say Project Brutality, such as animations don't finish, props freak out, or weapons using the stock doom sprites. Not sure if this is because doom 1 and doom 2 are in the same file or a source port issue.

This guys gibs are frozen

Stock Doom fist is displaying when PB fist should be showing.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

You're loading it after the gameplay mod. Load it as an IWAD (-iwad instead of -file) or change your load order!
Rexen
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Home

Post by Rexen »

Thanks, its all good now.
subenji

Post by subenji »

This just became my main iwad. Thank you so much for going through the effort to make this!
JPL

Post by JPL »

For those asking, yes you can just rename the doom_complete.pk3 to "doom.wad" or "doom2.wad" and G/ZDoom doesn't seem to bat an eye.
Death Egg wrote:Out of curiosity, any way you'd consider making it work with the Eternity Engine as well?
Am I correct in thinking this would just involve different text-based data, eg mapinfo? If so it probably wouldn't be very tough to construct alternate res/ subfolder resources for that. I'm going to put the code and data for this up on my public bitbucket soon (though the Python source is already in this ZIP) so folks can do their own thing with it.
DarkkOne wrote:Would it be possible for a change to be made to make it identify as Doom 2? That would be the "most compatible" choice right? Not a lot of mods that only work with Doom but not Doom 2, right?
I would've preferred this, but as far as I can tell the way ZDoom's IWAD detection logic works is, if it encounters Doom1-indicating data first, it stops before reaching Doom2-indicating data, which is near the end as a more generic catch-all. What's breaking in the current setup?
These all seem easy to fix, I'll update the build soon.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11

Post by DarkkOne »

I would've preferred this, but as far as I can tell the way ZDoom's IWAD detection logic works is, if it encounters Doom1-indicating data first, it stops before reaching Doom2-indicating data, which is near the end as a more generic catch-all. What's breaking in the current setup?
Honestly, I don't know if anything breaks. It was just mentioned that it *could* cause problems, and I was curious if this could be addressed / headed off. It may not actually be an issue out there.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DarkkOne wrote:
Honestly, I don't know if anything breaks. It was just mentioned that it *could* cause problems, and I was curious if this could be addressed / headed off. It may not actually be an issue out there.
The only notable problem I encountered in my tests was with my own Mixed Tape Vol.3 mod, which is designed so that, if loaded in Doom 1 or a game that identifies as Doom 1 (i.e. Chex Quest or Freedoom Phase 1), the Garand ammo gets replaced with small shotgun ammo pickups, since the Garand replaces the Super Shotgun and is thus unable to be found in Doom 1. I can't imagine that there are many mods out there that use the same kind of setup.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, new build up that should have all these fixed.

#1 was just a name Doom1->2 texture name stomp, easily fixed.

#s 2 and 3 were trickier, I renamed the textures in the TNT and Plutonia texture definitions and then replace them in the extracted WADs. This may mean, though, that those few specific textures may go missing on walls in any PWADs that are made specifically for TNT/Plutonia that reference those textures by their original names. Anyone running such PWADs can just use the proper IWADs though; the point of this tool isn't so you can throw your originals down a hole forever.

#4 I fixed by just saying, screw it, extract all of TNT's music and give it a unique name, even if a few of the tracks are the exact same as their Doom 2 forbears.
LukeArio

Post by LukeArio »

I just wanted to let you know that I found a glitch on E1M3 where the switch to rise the toxic pool uses the wrong texture.

Last edited by LukeArio on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

Does this also work with doomu.wad?
Gez

Post by Gez »

There are a lot of texture conflicts between Doom and Doom II, and even more between Doom/Doom II and Final Doom. Especially in the switches and animated textures, but also some others, such as the step textures.

Of particular note for switch conflicts are how several of the Doom-exclusive switches are replaced by SW#BRCOM in Doom II. It was not even needed because the patches to make the Doom 1 switches are all there...
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Switch
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

ZzZombo wrote:Does this also work with doomu.wad?
If you rename it to doom.wad, yes

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”