WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
funduke re-regist

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by funduke re-regist »

Thanks to JPL for adding SIGIL as 5th episode.
For those, who prefer the standard font against that with the melting effect in the episode menue, i took that from SIGIL_COMPAT.wad and made a pk3 of it. It's attached to this posting.
You can add it to the [doom.id.doom2.wadsmoosh.Autoload] -section in gzdoom.ini.

Greetings
Funduke
Attachments
sigilmenuetitle.pk3
SIGIL episode menue title in standard (non-melting) font.
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

Ok, I think I found the solution.

ZDoom changes the list type if you have more than 10 items on the list, because of this it looks for the episodes names in the mapinfo file, but there is no names in this file.
If I understand right, mapinfo script points to other files with episodes names but for some reason it only works for Sigil and The Master Levels,

I manually added the names in the mapinfo file, but I'm not sure if it will break anything, I was able to start every episode.
Attachments
mapinfo.txt
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

Has that patch for the lost levels been updated for the new release that works with Sigil? And does anyone know if any patches have been made for some of the other commercial map sets like Perdition's Gate and Hell To Pay?
Gamerdude0072

Post by Gamerdude0072 »

Is it possible to make a version that adds Hell Unleashed (lostepis.wad) before Sigil and Doom 64 for Doom 2 (D64D2.wad)? looks cool.
JPL

Post by JPL »

JPL wrote: Note: With the sole exception of SIGIL, non-official content, even stuff that was sold at retail by random companies like the Lost Episodes, is not supported! People in this thread have customized WadSmoosh to do this but it's outside the scope of what I wrote WadSmoosh to do and I have no intention of supporting it. Also please note that you don't need WadSmoosh to merge non-commercial content! Use a WAD editing tool like SLADE3 instead.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

is there a way to have it work with Zandronum?
JPL

Post by JPL »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:is there a way to have it work with Zandronum?
See this post on itch for info on working around the Zandronum issue: https://itch.io/post/777967
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

JPL wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:is there a way to have it work with Zandronum?
See this post on itch for info on working around the Zandronum issue: https://itch.io/post/777967
thanks. i like having more options opened for sourceports besides just 1. specially with using some mods and such
Baby Doomer
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Baby Doomer »

Hey, I'm just curious why a lot of the WadSmooshed Master Levels have different music & skies than what the individual PWADs call (I know all the D_RUNNIN & RSKY1 can get monotonous, but for authenticity that's what I'd prefer). Is it because that's what the PS3/PSN version did?
JPL

Post by JPL »

Baby Doomer wrote:Hey, I'm just curious why a lot of the WadSmooshed Master Levels have different music & skies than what the individual PWADs call (I know all the D_RUNNIN & RSKY1 can get monotonous, but for authenticity that's what I'd prefer). Is it because that's what the PS3/PSN version did?
There should be a file called wadsmoosh_data.py in your WadSmoosh folder, you can open it in a text editor and change the mappings of music tracks to levels:

https://bitbucket.org/JPLeBreton/wadsmo ... sh_data.py

Specifically the MASTER_LEVELS_SKIES and MASTER_LEVELS_MUSIC sections. Make your edits there, run WadSmoosh again and it should give you what you want.
Baby Doomer

Post by Baby Doomer »

Sure, I didn't know how to change that stuff via wadsmoosh_data.py but I did know it could retroactively be changed via the MAPINFO at least. No, what I'm curious about is why they're changed to begin with. Is it a subjective/artistic liberty on your part or because that's how it was on PSN (from which the main level order derives)?
JPL

Post by JPL »

Baby Doomer wrote:Sure, I didn't know how to change that stuff via wadsmoosh_data.py but I did know it could retroactively be changed via the MAPINFO at least. No, what I'm curious about is why they're changed to begin with. Is it a subjective/artistic liberty on your part or because that's how it was on PSN (from which the main level order derives)?
The latter. I initially used the PSN ordering because that seemed to be the closest thing to a definitive ordering, even if it did seem kinda arbitrary. I recently changed the default ordering to the "Xaser ordering" just because it was no more or less arbitrary, and I personally think it plays better.

FYI I'm working on a project to compile all the extended / outtake material for the Master Levels into full episodes by each author, once that's finalized that will be a good option for those seeking to deep-dive on the Master Levels: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ter-levels
Baby Doomer

Post by Baby Doomer »

JPL wrote:
Baby Doomer wrote:Sure, I didn't know how to change that stuff via wadsmoosh_data.py but I did know it could retroactively be changed via the MAPINFO at least. No, what I'm curious about is why they're changed to begin with. Is it a subjective/artistic liberty on your part or because that's how it was on PSN (from which the main level order derives)?
The latter. I initially used the PSN ordering because that seemed to be the closest thing to a definitive ordering, even if it did seem kinda arbitrary. I recently changed the default ordering to the "Xaser ordering" just because it was no more or less arbitrary, and I personally think it plays better.

FYI I'm working on a project to compile all the extended / outtake material for the Master Levels into full episodes by each author, once that's finalized that will be a good option for those seeking to deep-dive on the Master Levels: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ter-levels
Oh, Xaser's is the main level order now? Anyways I'm not really concerned about the level order per se, just the music & sky changes irrespective of level order. Like I said, the music & sky in many WadSmooshed Master Levels is different from what the individual PWADs call (usually D_RUNNIN & RSKY1). I'd like to know why that is & what it's based on.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Baby Doomer wrote:
JPL wrote:

Oh, Xaser's is the main level order now? Anyways I'm not really concerned about the level order per se, just the music & sky changes irrespective of level order. Like I said, the music & sky in many WadSmooshed Master Levels is different from what the individual PWADs call (usually D_RUNNIN & RSKY1). I'd like to know why that is & what it's based on.
The skies should all be either RSKY1 or one of three slightly varying starfields included within each PWAD itself, eg MANOR, VIRGIL, etc. So all those should look the same as they do when running with doom2.wad. I think I made one mistake there with BLACKTWR though, it's MAP25 so it should use RSKY3.

If I remember correctly, the music tracks are all assigned based on level order -> Doom 2 equivalents. So CANYON.WAD, second in the order, uses D_STALKS from map02, CATWALK.WAD uses D_COUNTD from map03, etc.
Baby Doomer

Post by Baby Doomer »

JPL wrote:The skies should all be either RSKY1 or one of three slightly varying starfields included within each PWAD itself, eg MANOR, VIRGIL, etc. So all those should look the same as they do when running with doom2.wad. I think I made one mistake there with BLACKTWR though, it's MAP25 so it should use RSKY3.

If I remember correctly, the music tracks are all assigned based on level order -> Doom 2 equivalents. So CANYON.WAD, second in the order, uses D_STALKS from map02, CATWALK.WAD uses D_COUNTD from map03, etc.
Sorry for belabouring this, but yeah no all skies are indeed accounted for (with the sole exception of RSKY3 like you said), however Fistula has one of the starry skies when it should have RSKY1. I imagine both of these sky misplacements are just mistakes rather than intentional or with reasoning behind them (including Fistula?), so I've gone into the MAPINFO & fixed them both.

As for the music, yeah you mostly remember rightly in that levels taken from MAP01 PWADs replicate Hell on Earth's level order track assignment like you describe, with the rest just keeping the music they're meant to have except Mephisto which calls D_OPENIN (probably because of the Baphomets, & it being last non-secret level in Xaser's order for that reason). I changed the music back too but that's far less important & I wouldn't expect that to be reflected in a WadSmoosh update (unless people really miss the incessant D_RUNNIN), but hopefully you fix the skies for Fistula & Black Tower.

BTW I think you have a really fantastic idea on your hands with the 'deluxe edition'. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate the living & deceased Master Levels contributors & early Doom modding scene. Might make more sense separate from the main doom_complete.pk3 though.
Attachments
Changed ML_MAPINFOs.zip
For reference.
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by Baby Doomer on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”