Image2TexturesPlus: generate per-pixel TEXTURES compositions

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Image2TexturesPlus: generate per-pixel TEXTURES compositions

Postby Nash » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:32 am

Image Image

Image 1: Can you tell which one is the stock Doom door and which one is the generated one? ;)
Image 2: What the generated TEXTURES lump looks like

A command line tool that scans all PNGs in the current directory, and generates
a per-pixel reconstruction of said graphics in TEXTURES format.

How to use:

Place Image2TexturesPlus.exe in the same directory as your graphics and simply
run the application. An "Output.txt" will be generated - just copy and paste
the output to where it needs to be in your project hierarchy.

- OR -

Add Image2TexturesPlus.exe into your Windows PATH variable so that you can
invoke it from any directory.

You will need an image called "pixel" placed into /patches in your project for
the reconstruction to be successful; I have included it in this package!

Credits:

carlcyber - original "Image2Textures" program which was used as a base.
Nash Muhandes - Image2TexturesPlus variant.

Made this little tool because I thought it would help in the 64 KB compo, theory got busted, decided to upload it anyway so that it doesn't get lost in oblivion (and because I could not find the program some other guy wrote on this forum which apparently did the same thing, so I figured giving this a project thread makes it easier to search for). Written in C#. Thanks to carlcyber for writing the original Image2Textures.

Download | Demo map | Source code
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Image2TexturesPlus: generate per-pixel TEXTURES composit

Postby The Zombie Killer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:44 am

If you ported this to GDCC (C) using HudMessages, then this could be used in GLOOME to write things like ACS raycasters, if you're insane :p
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Discord: Zombie#1795

Postby Nash » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:46 am

LOL! People have done all kinds of crazy shit with Doom; I won't be surprised if one day someone writes an entire freaking game running within the ACS VM with HudMessages as the graphics API. :S

(Say, that might be a cool idea for the 64 KB compo, HMMMMM...)
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby kodi » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:24 pm

I've been planning a hudmessage roguelike or simple platformer with downscaled doom2.wad sprites for the competition, we'll see how that goes. I've also been thinking of how cool it would be if there was a mod containing a handheld console "weapon" and a simple "OS" for it that could launch ACS scripts (games) supplied through other pk3's loaded along with it. Just like in TimeSplitters 2 eh?

A big problem with a hudmessage raycaster other than the sheer insanity is going to be sprite scaling I'd imagine.
kodi
Proscrastinator

Postby The Zombie Killer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:05 am

That actually sounds really neat, I still need to get something done for the 64k competition.

kodi wrote:I've also been thinking of how cool it would be if there was a mod containing a handheld console "weapon" and a simple "OS" for it that could launch ACS scripts (games) supplied through other pk3's loaded along with it. Just like in TimeSplitters 2 eh?

Hah, back when I first posted Classic Arcade on YouTube, people asked me to do a similar thing to that, but with an ingame calculator. I'd love to see that if you ever make it
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Discord: Zombie#1795

Postby XCVG » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:06 pm

I wrote a nearly identical tool last year hoping to use it for the shitty wad competition that never happened. I went through several iterations, starting with a manual (and VERY tedious) proof of concept, then making one that layered existing textures in a specific order (extremely limited palette and actually more complicated) before realizing I could exploit translations to do the same thing. However, I used a piece of an existing texture instead of adding my own patch. One thing I found out very quickly is that the resulting file size was quite large even after compression.
XCVG

Postby zrrion the insect » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:34 am

If you were going to use this to make large textures/sprites in TEXTURES it might be worth making it have a different graphic for every index in the palette so that you could cut out the translation part of each line in the definition of the texture/sprite and instead use one of the pre-translated graphics.
Depending on the size/complexity of what you were doing, that could cut the filesize down quite a bit.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation