[GZDoom/Blender 2.79] MD3 Export, Size Reference Template

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Battlelord

Re: [GZDoom/Blender 2.66a] MD3 Export, Size Reference Templa

Post by Battlelord »

Maybe the error about UV Editor because of this maping as the image shows, but I don't know how to texturing that...........
Attachments
untitled.JPG
Nash

u

Post by Nash »

Battlelord wrote:
Also: this thread is about the GZDoom exporter, not the generic MD3 exporter
what is the gzdoom exporter using for? Md3 exporter case is most important case of gzdoom exporter
Allright here is file.blend
http://www.mediafire.com/?d2gyg61v3530q11
1) The GZDoom script (io_export_gzdoom) is actually modified to output proper data specifically for GZDoom. You ARE here because you are modding for GZDoom aren't you? io_export_md3 is more useful for Quake 3 and maybe EDuke32 - as I said, I have no experience with exporting with io_export_md3 because I don't mod those games. On the other hand, io_export_gzdoom is tuned perfectly to export good models for GZDoom because I mainly use it for my GZDoom projects so I know it works.

2) I haven't had the time to look at your file but looking back at your first error screenshot, it says that it has problems with the model's UVs. And looking at your second screenshot, it does seem like the UVs are a mess. I don't know what pipeline you're using to import that model into Blender but it looks like it's not importing UVs properly. Your only other option here is to manually unwrap the model yourself. That's a lot of work and may not produce the exact result as how it was originally.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Found a really cool Blender script that highlights faces under your mouse cursor in real-time!

(Should be a default Blender feature TBH but whatever)

1) Download script from https://github.com/pitiwazou/Scripts-Bl ... tion_faces
2) Place the file inside your /addons folder and activate it in the User Preferences (I assume you are already familiar with installing scripts)
3) Go into Edit mode first, this feature won't appear in any other mode except in Edit mode
4) Press N to open the right sidebar, then under the Shading section, enable "Preselect faces"

It will highlight vertices, edges or faces depending on what selection mode you're in. Cool stuff!

NOTE: For some reason, it only works with objects created AFTER the script is enabled and AFTER "Preselect faces" is ticked. So if you tried to do this on the default cube, it won't work... I suggest you delete everything in the scene and have an empty scene before you even activate the script. If you save your user preferences as default so that you don't have to re-enable the script every time upon startup, this this will be a non-issue.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

I encountered an error when trying to export (something about division by zero in the 570's code range with SceneMinimum). But then I received a hint later when I was baking the texture to it for some rendering tests in Blender, turns out the object wasn't actually on a visible layer and it was essentially trying to bake to nothing.

I might suggest adding a custom error message indicating this to be the issue since I was left scouring for answers for a few good hours. Basically, the object didn't have a render layer given to it. Thus the division by 0 error. (I don't know how I accidentally removed it from the default render layer at all but restoring it was easily done by clicking the object tab and hitting the upper-left-most layer, naturally.)
DrDoctor

Post by DrDoctor »

Is anyone else encountering a problem where objects get scaled randomly after exporting from the same scene? i.e. I got a car model that's broken into 3 parts (body, seats, windows) I cleared transforms and rescales before export yet when I export them the scales get messed up.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Be sure to apply the scale of your object (Ctrl A). Also, no object should exceed 511 Blender units or the export will be messed up/won't even work.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

the pk3 with the pistol is not working, you named the pistol sprite MEDI and the medi kit seems to be using this allready, I changed it but still can't see any pistol model
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

can anyone give me a link to a tutorial for making a model with multiple frames?
R4L
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Zen3001 wrote:can anyone give me a link to a tutorial for making a model with multiple frames?
I am working on a tutorial soon, but basically (if you're talking about animating models) what you need to do is:

- Animate the model in Blender using keyframes.
- Use FrameIndex to define the frames for the model.
- Spawn the model and loop through the frames.

I did this with a ceiling fan 3D model in a mod I'm making.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\engines\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_export_gzdoom_md3.py", line 792, in execute
save_md3(settings)
File "C:\engines\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_export_gzdoom_md3.py", line 572, in save_md3
my_scale = round(25/scene_minimum,2)
ZeroDivisionError: division by zero

This is what I get when I export the model with keyframes
R4L
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

What are you doing when you export? You need to make sure you have all objects that pertain to your 3D model selected first. If you have an object called "root", you can exclude that as that will only give you an error when exporting.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

yup I probably forgot to select the both the model and the bones, it seems to be working now. I got into another problem now tho...
created a seperate thread for it
Nash

Post by Nash »

How to properly embed texture (skin) paths for multiple objects in 1 model

AKA there's nothing wrong with the exporter ;)

For multiple objects, you can embed the texture paths directly into the objects, and then omit the "Skin" property in your MODELDEF so that GZDoom will load the textures embedded into the object directly. This is the only way to assign multiple skins in 1 model! There are 2 ways to do this. USE EITHER ONE ONLY:

A) Under the "Object" panel, make a custom property called "md3shader" and input your full texture path (as per your PK3)
B) Select the object, and name the material your full texture path

Major Cooke

Re: [GZDoom/Blender 2.79] MD3 Export, Size Reference Templat

Post by Major Cooke »

And if you're using .OBJ model formats, B. is the only way to go. Should go without saying, considering A. clearly has md3 in md3shader.

Man this has helped save me a ton of trouble. Thanks for that. Clay pointed this out to me when I was trying to find a way around turning map geometry into objects.

Another note, if you have multiple materials, you will need to split your object up by going into Edit mode, Face selection, select all faces (press A), press P with the mouse in the 3D view and choosing "By Material". Once that's done, you can select all the separate objects and export them as one or individually if needed.
Josko

Re: [GZDoom/Blender 2.79] MD3 Export, Size Reference Templat

Post by Josko »

Does this work for Blender 2.80?

I tried to install it, it installed, but dosn't seem to do anything :/

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”