GDCC: An Alternative ACS Compiler [0.15.0]

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: GDCC: An Alternative ACS Compiler

Post by Marrub »

oODemonologistOo wrote:I'm still a bit puzzled as to how to use this tool. I tried using the batch file and I get lots of "unrecognized command" errors on the "gdcc-cc". Can you elaborate on the process a bit more?
Go to your project's directory.
Make a folder named GDCC, put the GDCC distribution in it, so gdcc-cc.exe, gdcc-as.exe, etc are all in there.
Put the batch file into the project directory.
Make two folders, inc and src, and put your header and source files in each respectively.
Run the batch file.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

I have just ported a source code tokenizer library I made to GDCC for a friend, thought it was worthy of posting here since it would appear to be the first C library to implement GDCC compilation.
https://github.com/marrub--/LoveToken
David definitely did not threaten to stab me if I did not post this here.
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

Glorious portable C code. It is almost enough to bring a tear to one's eyes. But only one, and it must be shared between both eyes.

In possibly more exciting news for those who prefer ACS over C, I have considerably improved gdcc-acc's ACS compatibility with acc's ACS since the last time I posted here. This includes better #define scoping with respect to importing and pre-expanded macros to better emulate the way acc evaluates macros as a constant. (The latter behavior can be suppressed with a macro for those who desire the C behavior of simple token substitution.) Once I implement CreateTranslation and StrCpy, I may make a 0.7 release.

Since I definitely made no such threat, it goes without saying that it will now not be carried out.
oODemonologistOo

Post by oODemonologistOo »

I recently tried to use this again, and it seems to build the main file fine. However, when I try to launch the mod in Zandronum it just crashes. So I assume it built something else. I changed the CC variable's gdcc-cc to gdcc-acc as Marrub suggested, but still nothing happens. It does compile without errors though. Can send the files in question through PM.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Zandronum 2.0 or 3.0? The latest version of GDCC outright crashes in Zandronum 2.0 for me, however it works fine if I use a slightly older version
oODemonologistOo

Post by oODemonologistOo »

The Zombie Killer wrote:Zandronum 2.0 or 3.0? The latest version of GDCC outright crashes in Zandronum 2.0 for me, however it works fine if I use a slightly older version
I forgot to point out, it's actually 2.0. (Or 2.1.2, the newest one not that it changes much in this topic)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Zandronum 2, at least, doesn't support GDCC in the slightest, due to the old 1000 script allocation restriction, and can potentially crash from out of bounds memory access. 3 wont run it either if it also still lacks named script support.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Zandronum 3.0 runs GDCC absolutely fine, as it does indeed support named scripts. (Although you cannot manually puke named scripts online yet, because pukename hasn't been implemented for netplay).
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

edward850 wrote:Zandronum 2, at least, doesn't support GDCC in the slightest, due to the old 1000 script allocation restriction, and can potentially crash from out of bounds memory access. 3 wont run it either if it also still lacks named script support.
The script number limit is hardly the most problematic restriction. And one which is only encountered if one has that many numbered scripts (or explicitly sets a script with such a number). And named scripts are similarly only used if one explicitly asks for it. There is a problem with the new FILE handling which relies on function pointers, but -D__GDCC__NoFuncPtr=1 while compiling stdio.c will fix that. Other than that, I do not know of any other general problems with running GDCC-compiled code with Zandronum 2.x. And the biggest problem with 1.x was the inability to use __nprintf because of how it handled the print buffer.

Just to make it clear: I intend to support Zandronum 2.x until 3.0 sees an official release, so if there are problems with it, I do want to know about them.

For the curious, Zandronum 2.x crashes with function pointer usage because those instruction numbers are used for other things, which results in stack imbalance, which crashes the engine when executing a return instruction because of ZDoom's awkward handling of the call stack. Unfortunately, I did not think of that while rewriting stdio.c to support __fopen_fn, so I apologize for that.
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

News! I have reached my feature goals for a 0.7 release, including the ability to make a build of gdcc-acc that should act as a drop-in replacement for acc when given two arguments. The first such build is available here with the normal GDCC builds. If there are no new bugs found, I will be doing a 0.7 release soon.
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

Development continues, including support for C's setjmp/longjmp, strtofx functions, and gdcc-acc bugfixes. And now I have added gdcc-makelib, which is used to compile target libraries without all the tedious mucking about with the exact list of source files for each. First post's Quick Start Guide has been updated appropriately.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Well colour me surprised... I have never heard of such a thing as 96-bit integers, and I've been using C for over half a decade now.
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

It is not a required size, long long only has a minimum of 64 bits, but it seemed like a natural progression. int as the natural word size (32), long as an extended integer (64), and then long long as a more-extended integer (96) when you really really need more bits. That said, it is entirely permitted by the standard, which requires only minimums on the integer types and defers exact sizes to <stdint.h>. Similarly for the also-uncommon 32-bit byte with CHAR_BIT=32.
Sarah
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 11 (bullseye), Windows 10

Post by Sarah »

So I'm finally venturing into the world of C++ and I had a thought; I remember seeing this compiler that seemed to imply I could use C as a replacement for ACS, I wonder if that compiler would be of any help to me now?

Like I said, I'm just learning C++, in fact I'm taking an introduction class even though it's not part of my major's requirements, so I'm just a newb wondering:
  1. Am I right thinking GDCC can compile C in such a way that I can use it to replace ACS?
  2. Can GDCC compile C++?
  3. How are tasks like the regular ACS specials accomplished (eg Door_Raise, HUDMessage, etc.)?
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

1. Yes, GDCC's C front is capable of doing anything you can do in ACS, though not always as succinctly. If using C for map scripts, it is important to be aware that to have multiple bytecode files not interfere with each other you will need to take extra steps during compiling or write the code in a special way.
2. Sadly, no. Compiling C++ is something I would very much like to do, and should at least be theoretically possible, but it is not going to happen in the foreseeable future.
3. For line specials and builtin functions (both special instruction and callfunc based), there is extension syntax for declaring bindings. The <ACS_ZDoom.h> header includes such bindings, prefixed with ACS_ to avoid name conflicts. For HudMessage and other printing capabilities specifically, one will generally use the __nprintf function (declared in <stdio.h>) which writes to the native print buffer. Additionally, printf and other writes to either stdout or stderr will act like Log calls when a linefeed is written.

Code: Select all

// Print(s: "A number: ", d: var, s: "!");
ACS_BeginPrint();
__nprintf("A number: %d!", var);
ACS_EndPrint(); // Or ACS_EndLog for Log().

// HudMessage(s: "A"; HUDMSG_PLAIN, msgid, 0, x, y, 0);
ACS_BeginHudMessage();
__nprintf("A");
ACS_MoreHudMessage();
ACS_OptHudMessage(HUDMSG_PLAIN, msgid, 0, x, y, 0);
ACS_EndHudMessage(); // Extra parameters would be given to this function call.
For somewhat more elaborate usage examples, you can look at DUHeresy.

And because it was apparently omitted from the first post during some rewrite, the official IRC channel (for those of you nerdy enough to use IRC (you know who you are)) is #else#if on irc.esper.net.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”